X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Monitor" Experience in Sitcoms

I heard this term used for the first time yesterday- "Monitor Experience"
    in association with a Sitcom Writer's Assistant:

Do I infer correctly that this means the ability to Monitor the room and scribble notes about everything that's been said?

Re: "Monitor" Experience in Sitcoms

Yeah, sounds like experience as a Room Monitor. AKA a stenographer for the writers' room.
    - - - - - - -
    Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

I thought this job required super fast typing skills? What you type ends up on the monitor?
      If you really like it you can have the rights
      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

In the one comedy room I was in, the script was up on a monitor and the writers' assistant typed changes in real-time as the showrunner led the whole staff through re-writes.

The assistant needed to know how to listen, type quickly, and use (Final Draft or MM Screenwriter, can't remember) fluently, flipping between versions of drafts on demand, making sure revision marks, etc., were completely accurate... Frankly, I thought their job at times was harder than ours.

Comment

Thanks. That makes sense.

...Frankly, I thought their job at times was harder than ours.
          and maybe even harder to get. Then again, I wouldn't want to be one of these guys: http://www.lamag.com/columns/cut/story.aspx?ID=1365602
          If you really like it you can have the rights
          It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

Working...
          X