Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends With Benefits

Finally got around to seeing this and mad as hell at having wasted two hours of my life. It's grossed over 64M. How? Why? Who goes to see it? How do they get to the theater without being run over? (I know, I know, I was there.) It's not just the time wasted, it's that with all the talent in Hollywood - and I'm not being sarcastic - that a film without an iota of wit or inventiveness, about two staggeringly dull people, barely written at all and directed with mind-boggling incompetence can make 64M.

Explain it to me.

Re: Friends With Benefits

BO Mojo has it as $54m... and that's nothing. Cost $35m to make, probably $25m to market... so it's in the hole.

But here's kind of the answer: A film generally makes 4 times opening weekend over it's life in the cinema. FWB stars Mila Kunis - and many people love her (I do) and she was coming off BLACK SWAN, so people went on opening weekend and the film made $18.6m. That is about a third of the total BO instead of a quarter... which means once people saw the film it fell faster that usual. But there's still a counter programming element at work - summer is a bunch of guy films, and this is a gal film... so women and dragging their men to see it because they had to sit through TRANSFORMERS 3. And guys are thinking "Mila Kunis - maybe she gets nekkid?" and so they go along. Plus, if they ever want to see their wife or GF nekkid again in their lives they kind of have to go. And the film makes $54m even though it kind of nose dived.

So... does she get nekkid?

- Bill
    Free Script Tips:
    http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

It wasn't THAT bad, but not the best either. A 72% at RT confirms my belief that it's not as bad as No Strings Attached, where Kutcher and Portman had zero chemistry. And the film is pretty watchable throughout.

The first 10-15 min is pretty rough, but once you get past that, the film does stretch its legs a bit and settles into a groove. They got a good chemistry between them.

And Timberlake is coming into his own as an actor. He's gonna be sick in a few years. He's just got the movie star mojo going for him. It'll be interesting to see how he does when he gets a bit older and takes on really juicy roles.

He's a huge draw for the woman audience and when you add Mila to the mix, it just enhances the dynamic of the film. It's easy to see that the subject matter of the film, along with the star power of Timberlake carried the movie well enough for people to ignore a few story and character problems here and there.

Far from perfect or really good, FWB had enough flow to the film to keep it from going stale like that wack ass No Strings Attached.

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post

So... does she get nekkid?
        Thankfully yes, but the sex is singularly un-erotic.

Comment

Mila does not get naked. Justin Timberlake does.

Thought the movie was pretty funny, not a complete deconstruction of the romantic comedy, but it had some cute stuff in it and a suprisingly great subplot involving Timberlake and his dad.
          "I dub thee: Sir Non Sequitur." - sc111

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
            Mila does not get naked. Justin Timberlake does.
            Well that just tells you what's wrong right there.

Comment

It did what it could to generate a few awkward laughs, but all I thought of while watching this was that it was that younger, wanna-be sibling to NO STRINGS ATTACHED - which I wasn't that mad about either.

Then again, I don't really like rom-com's, so......

Comment

Working...
              X