Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TrackingB Feature 2014

It's open, but it's $89 for EARLY entry. That's pretty steep, but I know it's a good contest if you place.

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=861

Re: TrackingB Feature 2014

Originally posted by CColoredClown View Post
    It's open, but it's $89 for EARLY entry. That's pretty steep, but I know it's a good contest if you place.

http://www.trackingb.com/?page_id=861
    Wow, those prices have gone way up. Guessing that the number of entrants has increased with word of mouth, so they're trying to weed out more folk. Definitely worth it if you can place, though.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Wow. That's quite an increase. Last year, a huge number of my clients entered. I wonder if this new entry fee will impact it's popularity.

These contests (and the BL) have become cash cows for the people running them.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

I vowed last year never to enter this contest again. They don't even have the decency to send out an email notification of the results to the entrants. How hard is it to send out a quick mail merge blast?

Before the usual suspects chime in with "if you don't like it, don't enter" comments I think it's a completely valid to advise newcomers that if you're looking for bang for your buck then the Nicholl or Austin FF are far more likely to garner you exposure and/or representation at half the cost and in a more transparent manner.

Comment

they post the results on the website, which is how the winners are announced. why bother with an "email blast" when everyone can just go to the site as soon as its up? how hard is it to pay a quick visit to a website?

Comment

But I want a personal form letter telling me I didn't make it!

Comment

Given the subjectivity of the business, and high pool of quality, I think 89$ is insane. It's still possible a well-written pro-level script might not make the finals.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                they post the results on the website, which is how the winners are announced. why bother with an "email blast" when everyone can just go to the site as soon as its up? how hard is it to pay a quick visit to a website?
                How are you supposed to know when to check the website if you're not notified? For $89 is it really asking to much? I'm not asking for notes or a personally signed letter just "Thanks for entering, here's a link to the results."

For me that lack of basic professionalism augurs poorly for the quality of the judging process, which I point out we know absolutely nothing about.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilRbt View Post
                  These contests (and the BL) have become cash cows for the people running them.
                  I know. I think it's a bummer.

Comment

This is the first time I've ever really balked at a contest fee. That's a lot of money. And like many others, I came out of that nasty recession in a lot worse shape than I was before. In all likelihood I am one formerly loyal customer who will not be returning this year.

Comment

Always is said, they can charge what they want, and writers can choose to enter or not... But to get traction on the black list it can be $125/entry (2 paid evaluations, one month hosting), and $150 if you leave it up for two months... So, it's really not much different... And they've both had amazing results for writers.

Comment

Maybe they want less people to enter. Maybe they want fewer scripts to read and they figure raising the price will make people reluctant to enter unless they are very confident of their chances.

Comment

If you're serious about your career, you should not let an extra $10 for the black list or trackingb or nicholl, or any elite contest/site really, stop you. Amazing how actors and other creative professionals will invest in their career, but screenwriters balk at it.

If you think your script is great, then what is $89 for the chance at getting your script into the hands of top reps and producers and even getting your project made. If you don't think your script can compete, then do not enter until you think it is ready. If you're intimidated by competing against amateurs, then how will you feel when you are up against professional writers for paid assignments.

So who cares if TrackingB sends consolation emails (by the way, they do tell you approximately when they announce on-site, so it's not really that hard to find out). Or that you don't know their selection process. TrackingB has had enormous success with its winning scripts and writers (Swetnam, Fisher, and more). If you'd rather spend $45 for a second tier contest that will get you nothing even if you win, then at least you'll have $40 leftover to celebrate with your family.

Comment

Originally posted by thrill14 View Post
                            If you're serious about your career, you should not let an extra $10 for the black list or trackingb or nicholl, or any elite contest/site really, stop you. Amazing how actors and other creative professionals will invest in their career, but screenwriters balk at it.

If you think your script is great, then what is $89 for the chance at getting your script into the hands of top reps and producers and even getting your project made. If you don't think your script can compete, then do not enter until you think it is ready. If you're intimidated by competing against amateurs, then how will you feel when you are up against professional writers for paid assignments.
                            There are a lot of assumptions being made here. If $89 seems a small price to pay, how about $250? In this case you're competing for only like 8-10 slots, no quarters or semis or anything, and it all takes place in a vacuum. The BL at least gives you some feedback, however sparing, and you get to see how your work measures up via a rating. Other contests offer cash prizes and exposure in their own right. I don't think it's fair to characterize weighing the costs and benefits as an unwillingness to invest in one's career.

Comment

Originally posted by thrill14 View Post

So who cares if TrackingB sends consolation emails (by the way, they do tell you approximately when they announce on-site, so it's not really that hard to find out). Or that you don't know their selection process. TrackingB has had enormous success with its winning scripts and writers (Swetnam, Fisher, and more). If you'd rather spend $45 for a second tier contest that will get you nothing even if you win, then at least you'll have $40 leftover to celebrate with your family.
                              Nicholl or Austin are hardly second tier contests. They are superior to Trackingb on every metric that counts, including success stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X