No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meeting with Japanese producers?

Has anyone done this?

Should I follow some of the Japanese business etiquette (bowing at the very least) or will I look silly?

There will be a translator there so I know to speak more slowly.

Any other tips in general?

Oh this is probably in the wrong section...

Re: Meeting with Japanese producers?

In my experience, no one expected perfect etiquette, but I accepted their business cards with both hands, didn't stack them on the table, and rather than slowly, I spoke concisely. Short sentences with few clauses. Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
      Has anyone done this?

Should I follow some of the Japanese business etiquette (bowing at the very least) or will I look silly?

There will be a translator there so I know to speak more slowly.

Any other tips in general?

Oh this is probably in the wrong section...
      Listen, defer, answer honestly, and speak respectfully... Things you'd do with any producers. I had a meeting like this a few years ago and ended up writing two episodes of an anime series for them. Be yourself. They can tell when you're not. And have fun and I hope you get something from it.

Comment

Also, learn a little basic Japanese. Hello, thank you, yes, no, good night, etc.
        DOPE CITY

Comment

As always, Ed gives good advice.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

My experience with Japanese business people is that they're always incredibly polite to Westerners/non-Japanese people to their faces (even if they hate your ideas). They'll just nod their heads and smile (and maybe say something in Japanese to their partners) because they don't ever want to come off as rude or disrespectful, thus it can be arduous to discern how things actually went until they tell you formally.

Comment

read "The Sword and the Chrysanthemum" ahead of time

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                My experience with Japanese business people is that they're always incredibly polite to Westerners/non-Japanese people to their faces (even if they hate your ideas). They'll just nod their heads and smile (and maybe say something in Japanese to their partners) because they don't ever want to come off as rude or disrespectful, thus it can be arduous to discern how things actually went until they tell you formally.
                This, the above, is very very true. You cannot take a temperature of the room because you'll have zero idea if you're succeeding or not. But don't let it frustrate you... or throw you off. They will act like they love everything you say... even if they don't. Again, just be yourself.

Comment

Thanks guys! Very useful tips.

This is (hopefully) the last meeting in my bake-off. I've gotten past the first wave of producers but he's the final boss. Supposedly, he just goes off a gut feeling of who he wants to work with (provided he likes my treatment enough). Will keep all of this in mind. Thanks again!

Comment

Call him senpai, and wear a kimono

Comment

Originally posted by wsaunders View Post
                      Call him senpai, and wear a kimono
                      THIS. And watch the movie "The Rising Sun" with Wesley Snipes...

Comment

Bring a plastic bag of oranges.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheChecks.html

Comment

Whatever you do in advance, don't listen to the song 'Turning Japanese' by The Vapors. It's too damn catchy, and will mess with your head.

(But maybe listen to the album 'Tin Drum' by Japan. It's brilliant.)
                          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
                          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Wear a man-bun held in place by chopsticks.
                            DOPE CITY

Comment

Working...
                            X