No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Nicholl 2019

I just want to know:

How does a script that goes to the head of the Lit Dept at CAA, they love it, then give it to a mid-level, they love it, it goes around town, town generally loves it... I do a fukk ton of meetings off it... CAA tries to package it... The talent agent digs it and gives it to his client to star in... HOW does that script do ZERO at Nicholl if it's read twice? AND... it's a fukkin DRAMA.

I bet I was signed to CAA that year and the winner of Nicholl wasn't. I should look that up. Would be interesting to know.
    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

It does seem like Nicholl has a very particular taste. Like the Oscars on steroids. I think writers don't necessarily buy the notes to help them with the rewrite, more out of fear of missing out on what's said. I have no idea how to write a Nicholl style script, so never entered it.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
        It does seem like Nicholl has a very particular taste. Like the Oscars on steroids. I think writers don't necessarily buy the notes to help them with the rewrite, more out of fear of missing out on what's said. I have no idea how to write a Nicholl style script, so never entered it.
        What genre do you write? What's your style?

Yeah, my vibe definitely isn't what Nicholl likes. That's why I preach "just because Nicholl doesn't like you doesn't mean the town will agree with them.-

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
          What genre do you write? What's your style?

Yeah, my vibe definitely isn't what Nicholl likes. That's why I preach "just because Nicholl doesn't like you doesn't mean the town will agree with them.-

Thrillers. Charlie Kaufman meets Gillian Flynn meets Diablo Cody.

Different competitions like Sundance all have particular tastes. I don't see a "There's Something about Mary" or "Diehard" faring too well in Nicholl.

Comment

Originally posted by Friday View Post
            Thrillers. Charlie Kaufman meets Gillian Flynn meets Diablo Cody.

Different competitions like Sundance all have particular tastes. I don't see a "There's Something about Mary" or "Diehard" faring too well in Nicholl.
            Ahh interesting, I bet I'd like your stuff. ;-)

Yeah, pretty much everything but a micro script won't do well in Nicholl. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'd love a 100 mil action flick. Dude... I'm kidding! Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
              Ahh interesting, I bet I'd like your stuff. ;-)

Yeah, pretty much everything but a micro script won't do well in Nicholl. Or maybe I'm wrong, maybe they'd love a 100 mil action flick. Dude... I'm kidding! Ha!
              You'd pinch yourself in excitement at experiencing such a monumental reading experience.
              Add a social message to the script, it will fare better

Comment

The below is from their website. So, the bottom "Meaning and Magic" section I think is what Nicholl is looking for maybe more so than other competitions. Themes or thought-provoking stuff. So, a little less Taken and little more Goodwill Hunting, perhaps?
                -----

Nicholl Reader Judging Criteria
                Nicholl readers use the following guidelines to judge and score screenplays during the competition.

Story
                Does the story have an original premise?
                Does that story idea start the movie forward?
                Does the story itself have a strong beginning, middle & end? How about two out of three? If the story is non-linear, does it make sense?
                Does this script make you feel that the writer is taking you on a journey?
                Does the story connect with you emotionally, whether it’s a comedy or drama or another genre?

Voice
                Does the script have a distinctive and original voice? (Or do you feel that you’ve read or seen this movie before?)
                Are the premise, story and characters new or fresh for you?
                Does reading the script make you think, “This person genuinely has the potential to develop into a professional writer”?

Characters
                Does this script have vivid characters who each speak in their own voice?
                Do you want to know what happens to them?
                Does the central character change over the course of the story? If it’s an ensemble film, does more than one character change?
                Do the dialogue and tone seem consistent from scene to scene?
                Does the way the people speak fit the tone and setting of the story?

Craft
                Does this writer know how to use description and dialogue to create suspense, tension, drama, comedy and conflict? Does the conflict propel the story forward?
                Do the main characters take actions that move the story along?
                Are these actions in keeping with who these people are? Or do they happen “conveniently”?

Meaning and Magic
                Does this script genuinely make you want to keep reading? Are the themes of the story thought-provoking, across genres? Is the story “about something” that might spark discussion among friends?
                When you finish reading the script, even if it has flaws, do you still feel that there’s something special about it? Is there an indescribable “something” that elevates this script above the ordinary?

Comment

I have spoken with a couple Nicholl winners and I can tell you what they told me. Basically the Nicholl looks for several things. True stories, or original takes on true stories (a la inspired by), stories which are personal to the writer, stories which are historical, yet still relevant in today's political or social climate, and most importantly, winning the Nicholl is all about character. They want something with a lot of heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                    I have spoken with a couple Nicholl winners and I can tell you what they told me. Basically the Nicholl looks for several things. True stories, or original takes on true stories (a la inspired by), stories which are personal to the writer, stories which are historical, yet still relevant in today's political or social climate, and most importantly, winning the Nicholl is all about character. They want something with a lot of heart.
                    Wow, super interesting to read it layed out like this. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

2019 Winners are listed. No loglines as of yet.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...owship-1245519

Comment

Eesh... I hate to be a d!ck but here goes. (Maybe Bono is rubbing off on me... Ha!)

...but, I mean, c'mon... it's like they used a Nicholl title generator to name these.

I hate to say bad sh!t about fellow writers so I'ma stop right there and retract that comment, cuz hey, WHATEVER THE FUKK IT TAKES! Right? I can't fault that.

However, I can fault the process. Sorry, Nicholl for me is way to pretentious to give a fukk. Yes, I know, there's a million reasons why I'm wrong. But, they are PASSING on perfectly (HUGELY!) marketable scripts ONLY because they're a bunch'a bitter, d!ck writers looking to punish writers who actually thought of something super fukkin high concept and PULLED IT OFF on the page. Why is that dude's ("dude"... not gender specific) script NEVER the winner?

Your big idea that would land you 5 gazillion meetings across town with the biggest tastemakers? Nah, you're DEAD in Nicholl round one. It's not "SWEET" enough for them. It's not socially relevant as some 12 year old chick in Kentucky makeing mud sculptures in a town of 100 that makes everyone smile. Swear to god, I could see that shitty concept winning.

John Wick wouldn't make it past round 1. Yet... it's a fukkin FRANCHISE.

Yeah? Hollywood wants "Mudhoney" (actually that's not a long enough title) over "John Wick"? HAAAAA! You're funny.

Nicholl feels like a pretentious clothing designer show where the winner designs clothes that look like trash bags that no one would ever wear, yet the designer has a neat story of growing up homeless (Cue the standing ovation! This is the "pat yourself on the back for being a humanitarian" moment.)

Writers shouldn't be OVER LOOKED based on having RAD ideas that are far more intune with what AUDIENCES (remember them?) want to see. You've got to be fukking kidding me. The whole thing has become too 'pat' for me to give a fukk. To the point where I'm convinced writers are TARGETING Nicholl with specific "Nicholl Friendly" material.

And if any of you guys won, then I take it all back. HA!

Comment

That said, Street Rat Allie Punches Her Ticket is a great title...

For a book of bad pomes and/or short stories.

Comment

Lemme explain my gripe:

If you are THE most visible contest, yet you are ***excluding*** certain (HIGHLY TALENTED/VIABLE) writers based on them being too COMMERCIAL...

...Ummmm, ain't that definition of fukkin stupid? The only way those skilled writers can win is to NOT (NOT????) write sh!t Hollywood wants to make? Dude... WHAT????

I super don't get it.

(MORE)

I don't trust this bullsh!t FAKE WOKE-NESS on the Oscar stage during their fake woke speeches nor in screenplay contests. Sorry. The truth is something far different.

(AND)

If you actually tell the truth in a screenplay about say, race. Guess what happens.... people get scared. "Can we say that?" Dude, I just fukkin said it.

I'm gonna enter my racial (feature) screenplay into Nicholl next year. Just to prove my point to MYSELF that it's a hoax. I already know the out come. I won't make it past round 1. My stories are socially relevant, but they're often ugly. Nicholl doesn't like social relevance if it's ugly, only if it's "SWEET."

POINT: Nicholl needs to stop pretending they are helping writers TELL THE TRUTH. Bullsh!t... they are helping writers get eyes on super small feel good movies.

Nothing wrong with that. But, just be honest about all the lines drawn in the sand and therefore the BOX writers have to fit into to have any chance of winning.

--RANT ACCOMPLISHED--

Comment

Originally posted by Max Otto Schrenck View Post
                              That said, Street Rat Allie Punches Her Ticket is a great title...

For a book of bad pomes and/or short stories.
                              Could be a completely rad script. Not trying to slam the writer....

Comment

I wanna say this too:

Here's why it pisses me off (The Nicholl puffery): Because there's some writer out there (MANY) who fukking KILLED their script (the good kill) they send it into Nicholl and don't make it past round 1. Many of them likely think "Dang it... thought I killed it. Maybe I'm not good?" Meanwhile, the dude may be holding a franchise flick in their hands.

Fukk that! Go around Nicholl, send it straight to Hollywood if you're positive you nailed it! I promise you this, my script HYBRID would have done ZERO at Nicholl, but who cares if I'm sitting in the office of someone with the Bat-Mobile outside their office door.

Comment

Working...
                                X