Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A read and Big 4 referral from pros???

Hi. I'm a professional writer (journalist/magazine writer/author) who is making the transition to screenwriter and the big move to L.A. I'm a regular contributor to SCRIPT and have covered the film industry for major media outlets.
    My first script, a political thriller, got optioned by a Producers Guild producer in 2007. I finished a crime drama last year that got me reads and requests for my next one -- but only from management companies.
    I'm now ready to go out with my third script, an outrageous R-rated comedy about a universal theme never tackled in a feature script before (see below).
    Although I have good access for reads (management companies), I am determined to get repped by a Big 4 agency.
    If there are any writers repped by a Big 4 agency who'd be willing to take a look and help me with a referral to their agent, I'd be very grateful.
    Title: The Big Bang
    Genre: Fantasy-comedy
    Logline: After discovering that his wife is cheating, a man wreaks cosmic havoc when he seeks revenge and inadvertently provokes a confrontation between God and Satan over his desperate quest for a bigger penis.
    Thanks.

Re: A read and Big 4 referral from pros???

Are you not also looking for a manager?

I ask because if you have access to reads from managers, and one of them likes it enough to sign you, they will no doubt want to get an agent on board as well.

And yes, I understand that's not (even slightly) what you're asking; I'm mentioning it as an alternative if your plea for help goes unheeded.

Comment

[email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post

HH

Comment

Can ya'll hook me up with a big 4 referral too. Thanks in advance.
          Frustrated? Click here for help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning...3Kruger_effect

Comment

Todd: I've followed you here and feel I know a little about you -- mainly that you're in the game for real and on the path to recognition and success (production), which I'd say puts you ahead of me.
            To answer your question, what I just learned from Jason Scoggins is that more than half the specs sold last year were sold by the Big 4. And in 2009, it was 75%. Jason's advice, as you may know, is to do everything possible to land a Big 4 agent -- before settling for anything less.
            Because of my every-issue articles in SCRIPT, I've made a lot of good contacts, including agents and managers -- and they are in my back-up plan if this strategy doesn't work.
            And yes, ideally I want a Big 4 agent AND an A-list manager. But based on what Jason said, I've decided to focus on a Big 4 agent for now.
            For my current article in SCRIPT ("Anatomy of the Deal"), top agents and managers were unanimous that IF a new writer creates an outrageously original story ( movie never seen before) that is well executed -- and that IF everybody in L.A. who reads it calls somebody else and says, "You have to read this script I just got...", it will sell. Period.
            From prior reads of my second script (the crime drama), the managers who did like my writing all said, "Anybody can write a crime script. I want to see the script that ONLY you can write. I want you to dig deep and let me hear your unique voice. Then I'll be able to sell a script for you for a lot of money."
            The Big Bang is that script...
            We'll see. Thanks, and continued good luck in your own writing. Needless to say, my fellow DD'ers will be the first to know if I strike gold.

Comment

management company -> agent

Comment

Thanks, Jeff. I'm a big fan of yours, via my friendship with Joe9 (who has been very helpful to me) and your many helpful posts here...and yes, that's likely the route I will end up taking unless lightning strikes (I'm a huge believer in destiny).

Comment

You don't need a huge manager to get with a good agent. You've got a new spec if it's the kind of script that's going to get a top agent on board, you should be able to land one of your contacts.

But that said, send it over. I can't promise to read the whole thing, but if I stop, I'll tell you when and why.

Warning: I will be blunt. I'll PM you my email.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                    You don't need a huge manager to get with a good agent. You've got a new spec if it's the kind of script that's going to get a top agent on board, you should be able to land one of your contacts.

But that said, send it over. I can't promise to read the whole thing, but if I stop, I'll tell you when and why.

Man, Lowell you blow my mind with this kind of generosity. Jtw I hope it works out for you. I'm starting to think the internet is not completely evil.

Comment

Insidious, Jeff. Very insidious.
                      "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

https://www.yoplait.com/get-your-free-cup

Comment

Mariot, you've got Derek f'ing Haas. You don't need me.

Comment

Mariot, you've got Derek f'ing Haas. You don't need me.
                            But you write comedy. I need notes more than I need a referral.

ETA: Of course, it would be an honor to have either of you read for me.
                            Last edited by mariot; 02-01-2011, 02:45 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more ass kissing

Comment

i certainly can't help you with the referral but i can tell you when i stopped reading. after this:
                              a confrontation between God and Satan over his desperate quest for a bigger penis.

Comment

Working...
                              X