• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Types of careers

(seems like I'm spamming this forum)

I'm watching this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMrU8rp7nEE

interview with Max Landis, and around the 5:05 mark he says:

I'm between A and B list within studios. But I ****ed up, because I'm a brand, too, people think of me and they think of Chronicle and they think of sort of the sort of stuff I sell, genere stuff, and they think, he's a creator, he sold 10 original ideas, we don't want him to write Aquaman, and its not because I suck, its because I'm not a studio writer.

And then you get into this thing of how many different types of writers there are and how many fake vocations there are within screenwriting that don't have actual names like polish guys, studio guys, story guys, room guys....
    I have three questions on this:

1. what would be an A list screenwriter vs B list, in terms of how many scripts and of what kind the writer's sold?

2. I don't have a very specific question, but am just curious to hear people's comments on the different types of careers screenwriters can have, as this is something I think about a lot.

What types of screenwriters are out there? Is it always good to go for versatility or is it better to be seen as a comedy/action/other niche writer in the beginning?

What are some things to keep in mind in terms of how you convey to the industry what kind of a writer you are?

3. I've not seen any of Landis' films, but I don't understand why being a genera writer would disqualify him from writing Aquaman. Is it that he's worked outside the studio system, he says he's not seen as a studio writer.

Re: Types of careers

Whether or not you get to write Aquaman has nothing to do with being a "creator." Hollywood loves creators. But if you tank several studio assignments, people become hesitant to give you more. YMMV.

Comment

Max's quote: And then you get into this thing of how many different types of writers there are and how many fake vocations there are within screenwriting that don't have actual names like polish guys, studio guys, story guys, room guys....

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post

2. I don't have a very specific question, but am just curious to hear people's comments on the different types of careers screenwriters can have, as this is something I think about a lot.

What are some things to keep in mind in terms of how you convey to the industry what kind of a writer you are?
      I don't know why Landis calls it "fake" but I think there is something to his quote -- long ago I read a Mazin interview where he stated this same sort of thing, that he didn't ever come up with ideas but that studios paid him to rewrite someone else's concept. That writers were "starters" or "closers..."

Though I don't think YOU convey to studios "what type of writer" you are as much as they are hiring you for THIS, then if it works out you get hired for that type of thing over and over.

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...in-part-6.html

BUT how you get in the room to begin with if you are only a closer or starter or whatever no one ever seems to talk about...

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
        Max's quote: And then you get into this thing of how many different types of writers there are and how many fake vocations there are within screenwriting that don't have actual names like polish guys, studio guys, story guys, room guys....

I don't know why Landis calls it "fake" but I think there is something to his quote -- long ago I read a Mazin interview where he stated this same sort of thing, that he didn't ever come up with ideas but that studios paid him to rewrite someone else's concept. That writers were "starters" or "closers..."

Though I don't think YOU convey to studios "what type of writer" you are as much as they are hiring you for THIS, then if it works out you get hired for that type of thing over and over.

http://gointothestory.blcklst.com/20...in-part-6.html

BUT how you get in the room to begin with if you are only a closer or starter or whatever no one ever seems to talk about...
        I should have made a distinction in my original post, which is that we can see from what you say and what Max says, as well, that there are two types of types, if you will, or two parameters that writers are defined by:

1. are you seen as an action writer, comedy writer, prestige film writer, versatile guy etc. Mazin's unlikely to be hired to write and oscar baity period drama.

So there I wonder what are the benefits and drawbacks of establishing yourself as a versatile guy who, in a sense, doesn't have an identity, vs someone who's clearly a comedy writer or action writer etc. I seem to recall, tho maybe I'm making this up, someone saying that actually establishing yourself as versatile may not be the best way to go early in a career.

2. the other thing is this thing of are you seen as someone who works well as a script doctor or you only get "starter" assignments

I wonder how someone gets into polishing work. I guess if you're known to be good in a certain genera they call on you.

Regarding your saying that you don't convey to studios what kind of writer you are, I think there is definitely a kind of "persona" created for each writer based on the material he puts out there. If you win the Nicholl with a comedy script and then your next script is a comedy script, you're beginning to create an impression of yourself.

Same if you happen to win two action assignments in a row.

Comment

Working...
        X