Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this too desperate or stalker-ish?

The comedian that I had in mind for the main character when I wrote my new screenplay is coming to my town to perform stand-up. Is it too desperate or stalker-ish to approach him after the show to pitch my script to him?

I am torn. It is out of my comfort zone and feels kind of like an ambush to do such a thing, but on the other hand, it might be my only good shot to make a direct pitch.

If I did decide to play out this strategy, I was thinking of brief simple pitch, "I wrote a screenplay with you in mind. Here's my business card. Contact me if you would like to read it and I can email it to you.- Of course I would have a script on hand it he seems receptive to the idea and doesn't mind toting around a physical copy.

I am new to the business and I don't know the proper etiquette for direct pitches to talent. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Is this too desperate or stalker-ish?

Please don't do that to them. Seriously. That isn't how this works, not because there are arbitrary rules, but because this kind of thing can make people really uncomfortable.

Comment

No, don't do that.

Do you think he goes on the road to be assaulted by screenwriters? No, he doesn't.

He's a professional. Treat him as such. Contact his reps and show him the respect he deserves.

two cents.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

You have 1 post. I'm going to guess your project stinks. And I don't even mean to be a dick about it, just using facts. And combined with your question, I know it stinks. Let's pretend it doesn't suck, you somehow just found this place, have been successful, you just don't know the answer tot his question... still never do it.

Also,only a handful of comics would even help get a project made if they loved it. But you know what stand up comedians are? They are writers/performers. They have their own script they are trying to get made with them in it.

I'm in a bad mood. But it's such a bad idea, I couldn't help but make sure to express how bad of idea it is for many reasons.

Comment

And honestly, do you think this comedian is just waiting around for you to hand them a script? Chances are, unless you're going to see this person in a stadium, they don't have the power to decide they want to star in a movie. More likely than not, this person will tell you "Great! Go get financing, a director, and a production company, and I'd love for you to pay me to star in your movie."

Comment

A lot of people overestimate how much power these people have to actually make projects happen. Outside of a few break-out stars, standup and film acting are completely different careers. They occasionally intersect, but being a big name in standup doesn't mean you have the same power in film as a big-name film star. Like, most well-known standups are competing for commercial campaigns, if anything - they're not starring in films. Attaching a standup comedian to your project who doesn't already have some starring roles under his belt could end up more liability than asset unless he loves it so much he's willing to fund it as an independent film or something.

So even if your script is amazing and your pitch is super compelling (and I don't know why automatically assuming it sucks is such a thing here, by the way?), it's probably not a smart tactical move. You're better off targeting people who can actually get stuff done for you.

Comment

I'm torn. I'd need to know who it is. If it's Bill Cosby, then yes, definitely accost him. If it's Jim Gaffigan... ummm... NO!
              DOPE CITY

Comment

It's a terrible idea and you shall burn in hell for suggesting it.

Unless it works. In which case you're a mastermind genius and we should totally have lunch.

On a more serious note... I know that I've heard Bill Burr say he hates using Uber around LA because the driver invariably recognizes him and asks if he can read their script or look at their reel or get them a job.

But, what do you really have to lose? Most comedians don't have the wherewithal to just call somebody up and get something made if they find a good script. Most struggle to get their own stuff sold or made. So you're probably wasting your time. But, maybe you aren't. Maybe this comedian actually does read it and likes it and hands it to his agent who hands it to someone who hands it to someone and ta-da, you're rich and famous.

What's the worst thing that happens? You get told to f*** off? They spit in your face? They go on Twitter and mock your stupidity to the entire world? They phone in to the secret Hollywood call center and blacklist you for eternity right next to the communists? Put a hit out on you and your entire family?

Comment

There's always the off chance that, if he's playing in a small town, he might actually get offended and insecure if nobody DOES hit him with a pitch

Comment

First comedian that came to my mind: Louis CK
                    And if it IS him, seriously... don't.
                    I get the distinct impression he's not the type who would react well to this approach.

But then again, how many people would respond well to this approach?

I wouldn't do it.

Comment

Working...
                    X