No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Originally posted by Ire View Post
    I did enjoy a good portion of this QT outing.

I agree about the pace. One long shot of Brad's character driving - cue soundtrack which was solid - was enough. I lived in LA. I get it. Sometimes it was the coolest place culturally in which to drive. .
    I think the driving sequences imbued the movie with nostalgic life... when it was ok to smoke, when a little sunburn wasn't really too bad (as long as had Waikiki coconut oil), when being misogynistic ******* was the norm. Honestly I enjoyed those 'quiet' scenes as much as anything for the subtle reflection of a bygone era. Hell the advertising sequences were pretty much a script unto themselves.

The only reason for the Bruce Lee scene was the Green Hornet car damage. Otherwise, my unnatural suspension of disbelief was blown..
    Chekov's gun. Establish Pitt's character as someone who could deal to the ultimate fighter of the era and you establish that he can disarm and destroy three armed ****ing hippies with ease (even tripping)

Favorite things were experiencing LA at that time, for example the neon sign light up sequence, Leo's meltdown and recovery and Brad's trailer. The details were phenomenal overall here. I got his wish ending. But the running time... He gets director's cut. It is what it is.
    I'm looking forwards to the 4hr Netflix cut
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Southern_land View Post
      Chekov's gun. Establish Pitt's character as someone who could deal to the ultimate fighter of the era and you establish that he can disarm and destroy three armed ****ing hippies with ease (even tripping)
      except... they're ****ing hippies. the Tate victims themselves almost overpowered the women and only Tex and his gun were the decisive factor. i didn't buy it for a minute in the moment that a Hollywood stuntman (tough as though I bought Cliff's character to be) would last a minute against Bruce F'in Lee

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
        except... they're ****ing hippies. the Tate victims themselves almost overpowered the women and only Tex and his gun were the decisive factor. i didn't buy it for a minute in the moment that a Hollywood stuntman (tough as though I bought Cliff's character to be) would last a minute against Bruce F'in Lee

Yeah. Bruce Lee fought world champions from many disciplines all over the world and also learned the different techniques and fighting styles including grappling. Plus, anyone that knows his history knows he doesn't do any predictable moves so he's not coming the second time the exact same way. More troubling is the portrayal. It was pretty insulting. I can see why Bruce Lee's daughter was pissed. Totally fabricated.

Comment

So re: the Bruce Lee thing...

Coming out of the viewing, I was under the impression that the entire sequence was 100% a dream -- Brad's character imagining what would have happened had he gone with Leo that day. After discussing with friends, I know that it's actually a memory of something that had happened in the past -- but I still definitely believe that it's Brad Pitt's version of those events. Meaning most of it is self-aggrandizing bullshit on his part. A totally unreliable narrator of sorts.

Comment

I thought there were some really great moments (Leo's fit in the trailer being one of the highlights, and Brad just being Brad on nonchalant sexy overdrive) and I freaking loved the ending. Even as someone who doesn't care much for violence, I couldn't wait for it to happen. You know it's coming, you know she's going to be spared the horrendous fate that was awaiting her in real life, and you want it be violent as all hell. And you know that pit bull is in the movie for a reason, and you just can't wait to watch her do her thing. And does she ever.

So I think the ending triggers a wealth of emotions. And the flame thrower was an awesome touch, even though the woman didn't think to actually dive into the water while standing in a swimming pool while being torched.

That said, it lacked editorial restraint I think. If Tarantinto's long-time editor hadn't died so suddenly and tragically a few years back, I wonder what kind of film we would have got? Some of the first scenes seemed so long and lifeless and artificial, I was almost tempted to leave. This definitely did not have the fast sharp Tarantino dialogue of some of his other films.

Comment

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Agree that it was pretty slow though.

Hateful 8 is still Tarantino's best movie imo.

Comment

This movie was so boring, last thing one would expect from a Tarantino movie is to be bored. The main characters just meandered through the movie, and what really happened with Tate murder was so much more thrilling than what happened in the movie.

In this case reality is more thrilling and visceral than cinema. Should just watch the news.

Comment

My opinion: Leo's best performance ever. Tarantino's worst film ever.

So ridiculously uneven. There are great moments (and plenty of them). But so many dull as dirt moments. Agreed this one needed a huge polish.

Comment

The movie was a bit underwhelming. Some good individual performances though. Plus, I liked the shots of recognizable LA hotspots.

Comment

Just saw this tonight. Enjoyed watching Pitt quite a bit, DiCaprio was decent, Robbie good, terrific atmosphere and "feel."

I think this screenplay would have benefited from more revision before going into production. Not nearly as tightly built or polished as Jackie Brown, for example. I know that's a different kind of film, but this just felt there was some "unfinished" material in there.

I have no problem with brutal violence in films, as long as it isn't just gratuitous, but the climax scene here was so over the top it was almost laughable--except it's not really all that funny. The sound effects alone were ridiculously graphic. I really lost all interest at that point because it just felt like some sick juvenile fantasy of violence that did nothing to advance the story.

I'm surprised to hear so many people gushing about this film. I admire and enjoy Tarantino generally, but overall this was not a very good film in my opinion. Worth seeing if you like Tarantino.

Comment

I'm not a big QT fan at all. Just not my thing. But this one falls in my top 10 of the decade. Possibly top 5.

Comment

The first 20 minutes were just a creative delight, really innovative storytelling approaches (the on-set "interview" with DiCaprio and Pitt was fantastic).

Also the "aging actor on a downward career trajectory" was a very rich situation for character development. DiCaprio's scene with the little girl during their lunchbreak was delicious.

Pitt as usual drew me right into his character who was also rich with possibility. Very strong performance.

But as the film wore on I started to get the feeling this wasn't really going anywhere--felt too sloppy. And the inevitable spasm of grotesque violence at the end--which admittedly you expect in a QT film--just felt a little overdone (not to spoil anything for anyone but a flamethrower? seriously?).

But glad you enjoyed it. I'm certainly glad I saw it. I think Pulp Fiction and especially Jackie Brown are absolute masterpieces of writing, filmaking, and performing, yet for some reason these last few QT films--rich as they are--just aren't fully engaging me.

Comment

I'm not exactly a QT fanboy. The only movies of his I really enjoyed previously are RD and Hateful Eight. I thought everything about this was perfect. It felt more grounded and less surreal. It was a love letter to everything I love about movies. And the sheer optimism of it all...it just felt different. I'm still in awe.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
                              new trailer dropped to coincide with the Cannes premiere (7 minute standing ovation). first movie i've been genuinely excited to see this year:

https://youtu.be/kW5ifP068wQ

anybody order fried sauerkraut?!
                              Do you know what QT is doing next?

Comment

Working...
                              X