Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever sold inventory?

Kinda talking out loud, kinda seeking opinions.

I've got all these screenplays gathering dust on my computer. Unsold, yes, but worthless? That's what I'm curious about.

It's not just scripts... It's ideas, characters. It's years of research. It's investigations into history, into mankind, into the human mind.

What if I just sold it all as a bundle? Would there be a market? Maybe a lazy student needs scripts and/or treatments to get through a class? Maybe a wannabe writer is looking for material to spark an idea?

Probably not much merit to the idea, just wondering if any of you have considered it or possibly done something like this?

Okay, setting up a Craigslist account now. Lol just kidding. Did that over breakfast.

Re: Ever sold inventory?

Originally posted by realphipps View Post

I've got all these screenplays gathering dust on my computer. Unsold, yes, but worthless? That's what I'm curious about.

It's not just scripts... It's ideas, characters. It's years of research. It's investigations into history, into mankind, into the human mind.

What if I just sold it all as a bundle? Would there be a market? Maybe a lazy student needs scripts and/or treatments to get through a class? Maybe a wannabe writer is looking for material to spark an idea?

Probably not much merit to the idea, just wondering if any of you have considered it or possibly done something like this?

Okay, setting up a Craigslist account now. Lol just kidding. Did that over breakfast.
    Just a thought: Doll up your various screenplays with a digital cover image and put them up on Amazon Pubs for a nickel or dime. As the Beatles’ song “Act Naturally” goes, “You can’t never tell.”

Unless I am mistaken, there was a Canadian fellow here who calls himself “catcon” and who did precisely that. He has not posted here lately, though. Send him a PM to jostle him for advice.
    “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

Re: Ever sold inventory?

Devil's advocate, here...

Originally posted by realphipps View Post

they are until someone is willing to pay for them.

but you own the copyrights, so it's not like anyone can lift the idea and the characters, so i'm not sure there is a market.

there are tons of scripts online for free. you can get them by director or writer with the right google search. proven ideas that have structures that work and compelling characters that have depth. so if those are free why wouldn't anyone PAY for your scripts?

unless you'r suggesting you're willing to sell off your rights? personally, i'd never to that.

nope, never occurred to me. but good luck with it. just remember, that as a writer, you can cannibalize your own material, until something sells, so why would you take your own inspiration away? you might wake up one morning and have a fantastic idea for a story or character you've already created.

that right there is the best reason to keep it for yourself.

either way, good luck!
      FA4
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
      X