Where to Pitch/Send/Give Away a Web Series?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to Pitch/Send/Give Away a Web Series?

So, as the designated shuttle driver for a bunch of visiting relatives, I had a lot of sitting-in-the-car time and I started writing a web series -- 10 episodes/ 8 pages per -- and I like it!

Of course, I don't have a clue what to do with it. I suspect it's not saleable (as in a money maker) but I would like to hawk it somewhere, if only to give it to some zealous young filmmakers, whether college kids or high schoolers or anybody with a camera and some time on their hands.

I'm in a rural area, where filmmaking is not on the local curriculum and I don't know any young/eager filmmakers.

Any ideas? I mean, InkTip has a free posting site for shorts, but this is something a little different.

Thanks!

Re: Where to Pitch/Send/Give Away a Web Series?

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post
    So, as the designated shuttle driver for a bunch of visiting relatives, I had a lot of sitting-in-the-car time and I started writing a web series -- 10 episodes/ 8 pages per -- and I like it!

Of course, I don't have a clue what to do with it. I suspect it's not saleable (as in a money maker) but I would like to hawk it somewhere, if only to give it to some zealous young filmmakers, whether college kids or high schoolers or anybody with a camera and some time on their hands.

I'm in a rural area, where filmmaking is not on the local curriculum and I don't know any young/eager filmmakers.

Any ideas? I mean, InkTip has a free posting site for shorts, but this is something a little different.

Thanks!
    Great! But there's no excuse for not shooting this yourself. You have an iphone? You got a camera. Got a computer? You can get access to basic video editing software for the cheap or even free. Every town has people who want to be actors. Find them. Put out an ad on craigslist. Provide pizza and soda.

You don't need to find a young/eager filmmaker. That's YOU. You point a camera and shoot. You learn. It's not rocket science. And at the end of the day, you may have made something that sucks but at least YOU made it and it's YOURS.

Seriously, just do it. Otherwise there's a 99% chance it sits on your computer forever.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
      Great! But there's no excuse for not shooting this yourself. You have an iphone? You got a camera. Got a computer? You can get access to basic video editing software for the cheap or even free. Every town has people who want to be actors. Find them. Put out an ad on craigslist. Provide pizza and soda.

You don't need to find a young/eager filmmaker. That's YOU. You point a camera and shoot. You learn. It's not rocket science. And at the end of the day, you may have made something that sucks but at least YOU made it and it's YOURS.

Seriously, just do it. Otherwise there's a 99% chance it sits on your computer forever.
      Thanks for the encouragement, Slupo -- I appreciate it! But these days I'm pretty much confined to a computer as I have mobility/vision issues that preclude me from production -- though I did put in my 20+ years out on location.

Any advice for finding that elusive 1%?

Comment

Originally posted by DayJobWriter View Post
        Thanks for the encouragement, Slupo -- I appreciate it! But these days I'm pretty much confined to a computer as I have mobility/vision issues that preclude me from production -- though I did put in my 20+ years out on location.

Any advice for finding that elusive 1%?
        Gotcha. Is there a film school around your area? I know you said rural but what major cities are nearby? I think you were right in thinking about film students.

There's some subreddit where writers can put up scripts and people shoot them. It might be:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ProduceMyScript

But I'm not sure. Do some digging around reddit.

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
          Gotcha. Is there a film school around your area? I know you said rural but what major cities are nearby? I think you were right in thinking about film students.

There's some subreddit where writers can put up scripts and people shoot them. It might be:

http://www.reddit.com/r/ProduceMyScript

But I'm not sure. Do some digging around reddit.

Good luck!
          Yeah, though there are a couple of small "teacher's colleges" nearby, there's no major university. Thanks, though, for the reddit link! It will be fun to look around on the site. Hey, you never know!

Comment

Good luck. Just don't get any dollar signs in your head. I briefly had a top show at Koldcast and the pay was negligible. There are of course exceptions, but IMO, the real value is the experience you get from writing directing producing with minimal financial exposure.
            "Take the thing you love, and make it your life"--Californication. [email protected]

Comment

I filmed 8 episodes of my comedy web series. After almost a year of sending and setting up meetings with networks, agents etc, I signed on with a Brand Management company. It was a move I never thought of until the advice came from a network executive.

Finding Brand Managers was/is the smartest move in my opinion. They take the idea and search for advertisers to help set it all up. I'm still in the process of meeting with them, but it's a move that could help for you. Obviously, filming and producing it yourself is the way to go for starters.

Hope this helps!

Comment

There's another option:

Why not animate it instead of live action? Then you could do it yourself and it would probably stand out among many iPhone web series.

How rural is your situation? If it's a tiny spot of 100 people or less, well, you'll have a problem with live action.

But in anything bigger place there might be someone who always wanted to make a little movie.

Don't be too focused on a twenty year-old. Maybe the village doctor is, at age 60, finally ready to shoot the movie he always wanted to shoot. Maybe he has a few crazy friends. There are too many teenagers in web series anyway, so you could shoot a story of 60-somethings planning to rob the local grocery store.

Or you have a fireman, secretly wanting to be a filmmaker.

The possibilities are limitless.

I am doing a jewelry fashion shoot the day after tomorrow, and I offered the model/designer a free short video as an extra - shot with my 5D mark III. I don't have any rig or this enlargement thingy you put on the screen, but who cares. I'll stay at 35mm, maybe 40mm, and won't run into sharpness issues, and the swagger will also be slight. It'll be a movie without dialogue and only one person in it, but we'll be having fun.

Always wanted to try out some associative editing techniques. So even though I'm only having one performer - maybe I can duplicate her through editing.

I think the key thing is to do what interests you and what's within reach NOW.

PS: if you have vision problems, you can still be the director, and have your DP (director of photography, or: guy who mauls your camera) do all the vision critical stuff.
                "Ecco il grande Zampano!"

Comment

Working...
                X