No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hangover 2 trailer

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
    If the "built-in audience" wants this film at all, they will go see it regardless of the content. That's the whole reason sequels like this exist - people will pay to see them even if they are entirely atrocious.

Who cares if the film sucks? The money left the built-in audience's wallets an hour and a half ago. Hollywood wins.
    That's often true. In this case, however, the actors didn't have to do the movie. They honestly loved the script, and everyone set out to make a really terrific sequel. Hopefully you'll see it and enjoy it.

I will say to you-- as hopeful screenwriters-- you can't really afford to let this kind of cynicism poison you. Your job isn't to think like a bean-counter, and then show contempt. Your job is to make a good movie.

In all honesty, if someone offers you the job to write a sequel to a movie you love, you're going to take the job. Right?

Do you take it and smirk your way through? Or do you say, "I don't care how many sequels have failed before. I'm going to make this one really good."?

Hopefully the latter.

And I don't think this film would have even happened if everyone hadn't held that belief as a core value from the start.

C.

Comment

Bio is our resident poisoned cynic, Craig. If he is cynical about your movie it means exactly two things:

1) It's a movie
      2) It's not a Pixar movie

(Just kidding Bio you know I love you)

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
        That's often true. In this case, however, the actors didn't have to do the movie. They honestly loved the script, and everyone set out to make a really terrific sequel. Hopefully you'll see it and enjoy it.
        I sincerely hope so, too. The original is great. But when Hollywood offers so little assurance by keeping the gears of the schlock machine freshly greased every week, how can one be anything but skeptical - especially when dealing with sequels?

Originally posted by Gwai Lo View Post
        Bio is our resident poisoned cynic, Craig. If he is cynical about your movie it means exactly two things:

1) It's a movie
        2) It's not a Pixar movie

(Just kidding Bio you know I love you)
        It's not my fault that Pixar just knows how to make films better than anyone else.

Comment

It's really really hard to avoid cynicism, I'm guilty of it myself and it's a constant struggle. A lot of wasted energy. Sometimes the best way to combat it is go see a good/favorite movie and remind yourself why you write. (I'm referring to me, not Bio - I enjoy his posts. )

I'm looking forward to Hangover 2, and I like to support screenwriters who take the time to help others as the ones have that come here.

Before someone calls me an ass-kisser, read the rest. But feel free to skip it if you don't want to be massively derailed...

I know a pro, a big guy, friend of a friend. He's got a resume that rivals the pros here. When I was living back east, I took the pro out to dinner a couple times when he was in town for one of his many projects. Called him up the other day, because I'm about to embark on the next phase of my career. I was hoping he could help answer some questions. A working writer's perspective. I don't have a Mr. Miyagi, don't expect one. But the guy didn't even return. Now I know I'm not entitled to have my questions answered. And having just had a baby, I know how busy people can get. The reason I tell this story is because when I come here, people are generous enough to help. That goes a long way. A really long way.

So, I will be at Hangover 2.

Comment

Thanks. For what it's worth, at our test screenings, audiences have really loved it-- and that's men and women of all ages. And they're blind recruits, i.e. the audience has no idea what movie they're going to see.

Naturally this doesn't mean everyone will like it. But I do think that most people will really enjoy it.

You guys can see it and let me know. I can take bad reviews.

C.

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post

I will say to you-- as hopeful screenwriters-- you can't really afford to let this kind of cynicism poison you. Your job isn't to think like a bean-counter, and then show contempt. Your job is to make a good movie.

In all honesty, if someone offers you the job to write a sequel to a movie you love, you're going to take the job. Right?

Do you take it and smirk your way through? Or do you say, "I don't care how many sequels have failed before. I'm going to make this one really good."?

Hopefully the latter.

And I don't think this film would have even happened if everyone hadn't held that belief as a core value from the start.

C.

A very healthy attitude. Thanks, Mr. Mazin.
              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

The first one had the longest residual word of mouth shelf life of any recent movie I can remember. Everywhere I went people were always talking about it... and long after the dvd came out people still talked about it...

I look at the script and movie as a good example of the current state of the comedy field. This is what studios want. And obviously the paying public.

Hangover 2 should rock
                "you have to write right, right?" -- Todd Gordon

Comment

I agree ... I don't know if they showed all the funny moments in the trailer (God I hope not), but I am thinking that there are going to be some hilarious twists and turns... Remember "same but different..." That's what the execs wanted to make ...

Comment

As an older moviegoer, it takes ALOT to make me laugh through a comedy. Usually I'll pop in an old Simpson ep. I thought HANGOVER was slightly overrated (best scene to me was the end credits), but I can always appreciate a good laugh, especially these days.

I'll more than likely see this in the theatre.
                    "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
                    - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I sincerely hope so, too. The original is great. But when Hollywood offers so little assurance by keeping the gears of the schlock machine freshly greased every week, how can one be anything but skeptical - especially when dealing with sequels?
                      I think it's different when the process is controlled by filmmakers from the jump...which is almost never.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                        I think it's different when the process is controlled by filmmakers from the jump...which is almost never.
                        Exactly.
                        sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

As I watched the original in the theater, I was thinking this is good- but not really great. But then the ending (the photos of their night) brought it all together and I laughed my butt off.
                          I look forward to seeing this one.

ewtaylor

Comment

I liked the original script of the first movie better than the movie - although I liked that too.

Personally, I can't wait to see this one - I liked the trailer I saw.

Bot
                            Since I sensed a sudden lack of appreciation for my presence, I hopped out of the Jumpy-jump, snatched my glow-stick from the fridge and galloped away on the Rent-A-Pony. - Stolen from Jcorona

Comment

H2 is testing through the roof. The first one was funny and this one looks even funnier, IMO. As a writer, I'm hoping it kills at the B.O. because we need good rated R male-driven comedies. Hall Pass didn't do well (despite being funny), so we really need H2 to perform to keep execs feeling good about these kinds of movies. And I don't have any doubt that it will do very well.

Comment

everybody has business reasons why they want a flick to do well. "good rated R male comedies" ---
                                although i don't wish failure on anyone the success of this flick does absolutely nothing for me... and in fact, may hurt my and many screenwriters who want to break in with a spec. why give us the opportunity when sequels take charge at the box office?!

Comment

Working...
                                X