Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hollywood To Produce Big Budget Films Based On Bible Stories

Besides, Noah (Russell Crowe) other big budget, studio, Bible-related films are in the works...

http://planet.infowars.com/entertain...-bible-stories

Re: Hollywood To Produce Big Budget Films Based On Bible Stories

Gross.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Dazzler
      The Ten Commandments.

Hanging out for a blockbuster remake.

Today's SFX would make it truly spectacular.

Throw in an all-star cast.

Epic.
      No Heston no care
      Originally posted by Great White Mark
      Film is art? Just a tip, it's called show business, not show art.

Comment

Gotta give them credit for jumping on that built-in audience.

I'd be there opening day for a movie based on Revelations (though I'd also bet 50-1 that it would blow in every way imaginable, and then in some new ways as well).

Comment

Yeah, this is really the industry that's looking for 'new and fresh'.

From books to games to comics to the bible.

Comment

There was a big story about this after the success of THE PASSION, but the hoopla lost steam somewhere along the line. Good to see it gain momentum.

I'd love to see a film on the life of King David. If done right it could be awesome.
            "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
            - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I'm waiting to see Oliver Stone tackle the Lot escapes Sodom story. That'd be some messed-up shit...especially if he stays true to the source material.
              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard View Post
                I'd be there opening day for a movie based on Revelations (though I'd also bet 50-1 that it would blow in every way imaginable, and then in some new ways as well).
                Agreed on both points.

Originally posted by roscoegino View Post
                I'd love to see a film on the life of King David. If done right it could be awesome.
                Been done:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043455/
                http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0054342/

Even with Richard Gere:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089420/

Actually, there are a number of King David specs floating around.

I wonder if, when filming these bible-inspired stories, the creators will adhere to the source material or take the kind of revisionist approach that's all the rage in the fairy-tale films that have come out lately and that are in the pipeline, where the values of the original fairy-tales are often inverted.

On another forum, someone mentioned that a take on King David that makes Goliath the protagonist (not just the central figure, but the hero) would definitely be fresh and novel. Probably never get made, though.
                Last edited by karsten; 11-18-2012, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nou View Post
                  No Heston no care
                  +1

Also, no Cecil B. DeMille, no care.

DeMille's style of filmmaking is completely out of fashion, I know, but I find that the unironically epic quality of his biblical films makes them compelling and thrilling and powerful. He conveyed the aesthetic of the sublime in a way that few filmmakers ever have, and those Old Testament stories beg for a sublime rendering. If there had been cinema in the 19th century, the time of arch-Romantic painters such as John Martin and Thomas Cole, their movies would have looked and sounded like DeMille's.

Interesting that the directors who followed in DeMille's footsteps took a more subdued, modern, thoughtful approach, and their films failed as a result. The Greatest Story Ever Told has its moments (the raising of Lazarus), but it's slooooow.

I don't think minimalism works for biblical stories. You need that grand theatricality, that rhetorical, mannered acting style, and a scale big enough to encompass the material. Better to go big than too small. Plus, pace. For all their stateliness, DeMille's films move.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                    Been done.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089420/

Actually, there are a number of King David specs floating around.

I wonder if, when filming these bible-inspired stories, the creators will adhere to the source material or take the kind of revisionist approach that's all the rage in the fairy-tale films that have come out lately and that are in the pipeline, where the values of the original fairy-tales are often inverted.

On another forum, someone mentioned that a take on King David that makes Goliath the protagonist (not just the central figure, but the hero) would definitely be fresh and novel. Probably never get made, though.

KingDavid, filmed to the letter, would be fresh and novel as is.
                    sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Genesis from 'satan's' point of view. (I know, I know...it's been done; but my version doesn't have God in it.)

HH

Comment

Originally posted by haroldhecuba View Post
                        Genesis from 'satan's' point of view. (I know, I know...it's been done
                        Has it? I can't recall where. Would be interesting.

The long-in-development Paradise Lost adaptation seems to have stalled, and that, if filmed properly, or at least Romantically, would have Satan as the protagonist.

Comment

They could make the next Rashomon out of the contradictory accounts in the passion/resurrection narratives.

Comment

Originally posted by karsten View Post
                            Has it? I can't recall where. Would be interesting.

The long-in-development Paradise Lost adaptation seems to have stalled, and that, if filmed properly, or at least Romantically, would have Satan as the protagonist.
                            I was specifically thinking of Paradise Lost, and, yeah, it hasn't been filmed yet. I wrote a half-assed novel where God left long ago, leaving Lucifer in charge of the monkeys. He's the one who kicked them out of Eden. I even had Lilith make an appearance.

HH

Comment

Lilith deserves her own damn' movie.
                              "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Working...
                              X