No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pacific Rim

Originally posted by MacG View Post
    Here's hoping the second trailer shows us some glimpse of what the actual story is, since two hours of giant robots battling giant monsters doesn't exactly set my pulse racing...
    Originally posted by Captain Jack Sparrow View Post
    Hmmm... That was disappointing.

GDT was the wrong choice for this film.

In fact, the whole concept is wrong, just dull and played out.

I mean seriously, some of those shots look lifted straight out of Godzilla.

The mechas are not cool, they are too big, slow and ungraceful. Just like they can't get Jetfire or Starscream right in Transformers because it requires style and flair, so to Eva's end up looking like industrial washing machines with legs.

What they should have made is Macross/Robotech.

What did a whole generation grow up watching... Robotech... Beautiful women, sleek transforming fighter jets, interesting aliens, it's all there.

Imagine a Zack Synder slightly arty Robotech trailer that was faithful to the Japanese designs. I'm just stunned that no one has done it yet. I'd make it in a heartbeat if I had a spare 200 mill, instead we get this unholy mix of GI:Joe, Transformers and Godzilla.
    Ditto.
    "I was dreamin' when I wrote this, forgive me if it goes astray." - Prince

Comment

Hey, I'm game.
      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

so why didnt they just nuke the monsters again?

Comment

"Today we are canceling the apocalypse!"

Question: Do you have to call ahead to cancel or can you just not show up?

Seriously. What the fvck kind of line is that? I'm trying to do this sh!t for a living and I hear that sh!t on screen? The fvck, man.

Comment

Haters. This is a great script with a solid and talented cast and will be a b.o. smash, especially overseas as mentioned before.

Comment

That trailer look awesome. I'm not a big fan of blockbusters, but this looks like it'll be worth the cost of the Arclight.

Comment

TONIGHT We DINE ON ROBOT FLESH!

Comment

Let's all remember that this is Travis Beachem. Travis Beachem wrote A Killing on Carnival Row. He has earned our trust.
                  Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

EXT. BEACH - NIGHT

TAYLOR KITSCH, SARGE and the entire AMERICAN MILITARY look out on the Pacific Ocean as a GIANT 500 FOOT BEAST ROARS out of the sea. They all stare up, transfixed.

TAYLOR
                    Wh-what is that thing, Sarg?

SARGE
                    (slowly takes out his cigar)
                    My God, it's a giant fvcking alien Rhino.

TAYLOR
                    Well how do we stop it?!

SARGE stares at the beast. It almost looks like it's staring back. Then he turns to face the entire American military. Hushed silence. Everyone is waiting.

Finally:

SARGE
                    Assemble the GO-BOT-TRON!

The entire military ROARS! Taylor Kitsch puts on his jet pack.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                      Let's all remember that this is Travis Beachem. Travis Beachem wrote A Killing on Carnival Row. He has earned our trust.
                      Great writers never turn out an epic turd on occasion?

Not saying that's the case here; as with my previous (snarky) post, just laying blame on the marketing department for giving us zero sense of story -- and, no, giant robots vs. giant monsters doesn't count as "story" -- while choosing what I have to think is one of the more laughable lines of dialogue in the entire film.

Comment

I was a little disappointed by the trailer. The CG doesn't look as good as I'd hoped and Hunnam is a lousy actor.

BUT the script was pretty awesome and I'm sure this will be wicked looking in IMAX. I'll probably be there opening day.

Comment

Was this his original spec? If a studio asked you to write a robot gladiator flick, would it be as good as The Dark Knight? Sometimes it's just physically impossible to dress up a pig.

In general, I have a problem with anything related to Beacham. His former lit manager stole $200 of my easy-earned, inheritance given money promising to get my script into the hands of Beacham's manager Bard Dorros.

It was the feel-good lie of the year!!!
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Pacific Rim was a purchase based on a treatment by Beachem. It is an original idea from his brain.
                            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Pacific Rim was a purchase based on a treatment by Beachem. It is an original idea from his brain.
                              Yes, monsters vs. robots. Quite original indeed. Actually, I got it confused with Clash of The Titans -- both films involve krakens.

I'm trying to withhold judgement, but let's just say I'm a bit worried by the trailers. I still have no clue who the hell the protagonist is. I see an antagonistic force which is a generic bunch of monsters with no leader to diffuse our hatred through -- a big problem Battleship had.

And like Godzilla (1998), it appears the monsters are mostly shown in the rain or during night. A technique Roland Emmerich used to make the monster look more authentic. (Note: Spielberg used day-dinos)

Experience just tells me this is "Yet another stupid CGI monster movie." But don't get me wrong, I'm PRAYING TO GOD Pacific Rim has character development on par with The Avengers.
                              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Before I watched the trailer I heard rumblings that the trailer gave off a vibe of:Transformers vs. Godzilla.

Now that I have watched it for myself. I have to agree. But I am sure the movie will be better than the recent releasings of Transformers and Godzilla.

Still looking forward to watching this. I have a big ol' soft spot for violence and blockbuster action.

Comment

Working...
                                X