Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 08:26 AM   #1
Captain Jack Sparrow

Default Oblivion

Kosinski's and Tom Cruise's latest effort hits US theaters today, though it's been out in other parts of the world for a while, anyone seen it? Filmed in 4K so one worth catching on an IMAX screen if possible.

I'll probably catch it this weekend, seems like if you're a sci-fi fan it's enjoyable, even if just for the visuals alone.

Last edited by Captain Jack Sparrow : 04-19-2013 at 08:52 AM.
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
nativeson

Default Re: Oblivion

I'm so there.
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
sherbetbizarre

Thought it was great. Didn't see it in Imax though.
sherbetbizarre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:06 AM   #4
Grandmaster

4K? Seriously? Damn, I streamed an ad' in HD and it looked amazing on my laptop...

Okay, so I just checked out Wiki (sure to scroll past the in-depth synopsis, as to not ruin the film, it being one that I do intend on catching in the cinema) and apparently, it was shot on this.

I'll give an opinion of the flick when I see it. Good to know there are more people who liked it so far than didn't.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:21 AM   #5
Captain Jack Sparrow

Yeah it's shot on the F65:

Kosinski: The F65 is kind of the next generation of the F35 which is what I used on Tron and was really happy with. Iíve always liked Sony, the way it renders color and skin tone. Iíve always felt that Sony has always had the best color. The Alexa is a fantastic camera, but the F65 is a 4K camera with an 8K chip, so it takes an 8K sensor and down samples it to 4k, so you get an extremely sharp 4k and for this movie and the locations we were going to in Iceland detail for me was very important. So I tested all the different cameras I tested different frame rates, thought about 3D, but in the end I decided the 4k 2D was the best format for this movie. And I think weíll be the first movie out on the F65 because After Earth was also shot with that camera and I think theyíre out in the end of the summer.

Q.How soon do you think weíre going to get to the point where a digital camera can do like IMAX resolution? Do you think thatís possible?

Kosinski: Well, Iíve heard people say different things on what the actual resolution of IMAX film is. I think David Keighley over at IMAX has told me itís 8K, but I think the F65 in 4K is a huge leap forward in resolution. So personally even if I was given the choice, Iíve always shot digital so for me F65 would be my choice now for almost anything. For me it kind of feels like a 65mm, a digital 65mm in terms of its resolution and sharpness.

http://collider.com/joseph-kosinski-...m83-interview/
Captain Jack Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #6
omovie

One the fence about seeing this. Still debating. Kosinski's last film TRON: LEGACY was unwatchable. Probably one the worst films I had seen that year. But Michael Arndt and William Monahan give me hope, so we'll see.
omovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
finalact4

Saw it last night in IMAX.

It was really good-- has a 2001 vibe.

It also has elements similar to The Matrix, I, Robot, ID4, and Star Wars--

Visually stunning-- brilliant on so many levels.

What an amazing world.

Imagery filled with a wonderful juxtaposition of desolation and hope. Life thriving in destruction-- determined to exist.

Pace has an easy flow to it where the tension and suspense build with out notice until the action sequence breaks-- finding myself all tensed up with every one of them.

A world that is both spectacular and recognizable. Amazing color, tone, and texture.

Absolutely breathtaking--

I can't even imagine how they got the crane up that mountain.

******************** Spoilers **********************************

The opening voice over is longer than I expected, but it is over a scene that moves through "a day in the life." It's a good story set up, and immediately puts the audience in the main character's POV, which is its function.

I think the quality of set ups are admirable, and are paid off rather well-- i.e. the reason the drones need to be repaired so often, perhaps. You come to realize them as opposed to someone telling you, "hey this is what this means." a In that way I think it's a sophisticated choice on the film makers part.

The story itself is credible. Believable. It's something we can easily imagine might happen. And in order for the story to be fulfilling, that opening VO sets it up perfectly.

The untrustworthy narrator-- I like that.

It really allows you to experience the story from within that character's POV. This story can't work without it.

The one thing that does make you immediately suspect all is not as it seems, is the telling of the 'mandatory memory wipe' in the initial voice over.

I think as a writer the 'surprises' in the story didn't really surprise me, these are creative choices I might take as well, so I could see them coming. That doesn't mean it took away from the enjoyment of the film at all, just made me smile as I watched it unfold.

The structure of the story is well executed, and comes full circle in a way that is totally satisfying. An inevitable ending. And as we fly to the TET we experience the moment that sets the story in motion--

And it's a good one.

There are moments of 'telling' when Beech explains who Jack is and what happened to earth when it was attacked, and how Jack plays a major role in it-- not sure it was completely necessary or not. Will decide upon a second viewing.

Now, that's not to say the story doesn't raise a few questions:

First, (around the mid-point I think) Jack says he won't help them annihilate the TET because "there are people up there." Then he learns the truth, comes back and is more than willing to do so.

But in the last sequence he flies his bubble ship into the TET and passes millions of Jacks and Victorias floating in clone wombs. They are a part of humanity now as well, are they not? Even though they were created by Sally-- who has a very V.I.K.I. feel to it in the end.

The idea that an intelligent race would use ourselves against us is unnerving.

Then there's the flight recorder, clearly in the end we know that it stays with the main part of the Odyssey after the cyber-sleeping research team are ejected into space in their own pod--

And if it's ejected into to space and found on earth in the wreckage when Julia crash lands-- how does it record the last moments of Jack and Victoria when they enter the TET 60 years prior.

And if the pod is travelling in orbit for 60 years, how is it that none of the drones discover it?

Who brings down the Odyssey pod to crash land in section 17 with the allusive secret transmission-- it doesn't seem to be Beech. Is it meant to be the TET?

There's a moment when Julia introduces herself to Beech and we get this knowing look from Beech, but it never gets paid off-- why does the name mean so much to him upon hearing her say it? Is it only because he knows it's Jack's wife? Then realizes the significance of her being the only survivor? I'm thinking that's it, it just felt like it was setting up another scene that maybe was 'deleted.'

Some will like the resolution and some won't, I think.

I understand the need to show "Jack 52" arriving with the Scaves, which shows that "Jack 52" knows the truth of the story.

And the voice over bookend is structurally necessary, but I think I might have chosen a different take-- one where Jack 52 moves through the forest like Maximus does through the wheat fields, being instinctively drawn to the place that feels most like home.

The problem is that the audience doesn't really have the same connection between both Jacks.

And after all the time that was given to every other moment in the film, it just felt a little rushed in those last moments. I also had a weird feeling about Jack 52, and I think if they would've give Jack 46 and Jack 52 maybe a few more lines between each other, when they come in contact with each other, and maybe something more when he sees Julia, that we could've-- as an audience-- felt a better connection to Jack 52.

Also, you feel kinda weird when it seems Jack 46 strangles Jack 52-- at least in that moment.

With all that said, I loved this film-- one of my all time favorites. I'll be watching it again... and again.

Would so love to read the script.

Amazing.
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com

Last edited by finalact4 : 04-27-2013 at 10:51 PM.
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #8
nativeson

SPOILERS! *****************

IMAX rocked. We got a cool free minnie poster, too I made the same observations as well, was waiting for a payoff on Beech's 'knowing' look to Jack's wife. The crash-pod switcheroo at the end was an excellent example of character superior POV. And, the Tet's demise had extra resonance with the addition of Beech's presence/hand on the trigger
nativeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
Biohazard

This has a very generic feel and a low-concept vibe (low for sci-fi standards).

I don't expect anything special whatsoever.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #10
LauriD

From the NYTimes:

"The problem with ďOblivion,Ē which is based on an unpublished graphic novel Mr. Kosinski wrote and used to pitch the studio, is that itís been stitched together from bits and pieces that evoke numerous other, far better far-out tales and ideas, conceits and characters ..."

Haven't seen it myself.... but I can picture just how something like that could get made.... a triumph of style over story?? I.e., who cares if it doesn't make any sense if there's a hot woman in high heels?

http://movies.nytimes.com/2013/04/19...it_fm_20130419
LauriD is offline   Reply With Quote