No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #OscarsSoWhite

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    Of course people need to do certain things themselves. But change won't come only from doing things themselves. It also comes from people who run certain systems making changes to the system directly.

Your argument's like saying: "Yes, there are segregated restaurants. Don't demand that the restaurants be desegregated. Start your own damn restaurants!" As if that's the only thing that will accomplish systemic change. Meaningful change requires multiple forms of attack.

That is exactly right... Make your own restaurant and make so much money and noise that whoever did not want you in their restaurant are going to want to be in yours. I dont much like Tyler Perry movies but that right there is exactly how you do it... Make your own studio, have them wanting a piece of your pie..

Outside of beast of no nation i was not blown away from any other performance... Not enough to male a fuzz over it... Do what we do, write another script and keep going.
    "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
    SUBTITLED
    Episode 1 (Beef pills)
    Episode 2 (African commercial)
    Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)

Comment

I thought Idris Elba was fantastic, but if there was any Hollywood bias against Beasts Of No Nation, it might just be anti-Netflix.

It's kind of disgusting watching the millionaire filmmakers (who have the money and clout to throw behind any projects they want) throw tantrums to the press, who are lapping it up because it helps them sell digital ad space, instead of actually *doing* something.

The best thing we could all do to promote more diverse storytelling (in films and the books they're derived from) is to create and support more aggressive efforts to raise the literacy levels among ethnic minorities and the poor.

But that would require honest discussion and hard work, which is not as click-baity as phony outrage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mpimentel View Post
        That is exactly right... Make your own restaurant and make so much money and noise that whoever did not want you in their restaurant are going to want to be in yours. I dont much like Tyler Perry movies but that right there is exactly how you do it... Make your own studio, have them wanting a piece of your pie.
        That's right. All major societal changes were accomplished by people just staying quiet and doing things in their own neighborhoods. Not demanding existing power structures change. The Civil Rights Movement. The Women's Rights Movement. The Gay Rights Movement. Of course! It's that easy.
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

That is exactly right... Make your own restaurant and make so much money and noise that whoever did not want you in their restaurant are going to want to be in yours. I dont much like Tyler Perry movies but that right there is exactly how you do it... Make your own studio, have them wanting a piece of your pie..

Outside of beast of no nation i was not blown away from any other performance... Not enough to male a fuzz over it... Do what we do, write another script and keep going.
          Right! Why don't underrepresented minorities just make their own multi-million dollar films? Stop waiting for FOX or Universal to help you. Just go get the $15 million so you can make your "the Danish Girl." Problem solved.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
            Right! Why don't underrepresented minorities just make their own multi-million dollar films? Stop waiting for FOX or Universal to help you. Just go get the $15 million so you can make your "the Danish Girl." Problem solved.

Whats the net worth of the actors of color complaining? Do i even need to go there?

Put their money where their mouth is... They got it. Others have done it... That is the answer... It is that simple.

To the other guy (typing from phone not being condesending) are you trying to relate Will Smith's struggle as a multi millionaire to the struggle of slaves? Yeah buddy.... I don't need to speak to you Any further sir.
            "We're going to be rich!" - 1/2 hr COMEDY written/directed/edited by me, I also act in it.
            SUBTITLED
            Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

To the other guy (typing from phone not being condesending) are you trying to relate Will Smith's struggle as a multi millionaire to the struggle of slaves? Yeah buddy.... I don't need to speak to you Any further sir.
              There may be a few Hollywood stars/millionaires speaking about this issue, but they are far from the only ones, so please stop trying to make it look like that.

Comment

Originally posted by bruinwriter View Post
                This is a complex issue and placing blame directly on a group of people trying to reward filmmakers is reactionary and ignorant. Racism is systemic in the industry and we need to stop blaming those who are applying their own subjective impressions on films already produced.
                I appreciate the thoughtfulness of your response. And I agree that the problems start from the very beginning, with limited opportunities for minority perspectives/filmmakers in the industry. And that there are challenges throughout the process. But just because there's a problem at the beginning, doesn't mean there isn't also a problem at the ending.

The Academy can only vote for the films it has exposure to, but you can't tell me that it being 94% white doesn't increase the chances that, if given equally worthy choices in a white and black actor, a member wouldn't be more biased towards the white one. And you can't tell me that it being 77% male doesn't increase the chances that, if given equally worthy choices in a female-led and male-led film, a member wouldn't be more biased towards the latter. And let's not forget the age factor.

I agree that changes need to be made at the very beginning of the filmmaking process. I also believe that changes need to be made to the very monolithic body that rewards filmmakers at the end of the process. No one's blaming individual people. It's a process that needs to be changed.
                Art is a reflection of culture, and right now the culture that's being acknowledged is consistently very limited.

Comment

As the OP note, black people represent only 12.6% of the US population. In this century, 4 of the 30 Best Actor winners have been black - 13.3%. Just what is Will Smith expecting? I look around the room for the racists and the only racist I see is him.

Just how fair and democratic is Will Smith and his production company? Almost all his films have black leads, and don't tell me Jaden Smith gets cast in films for his talent. I suppose After Earth should have gotten Best Picture.

Comment

Whats the net worth of the actors of color complaining? Do i even need to go there?

Put their money where their mouth is... They got it. Others have done it... That is the answer... It is that simple.
                    So white people get the studio system, most networks, and actors of color have to depend on Will Smith to produce all their movies?

Will you stick to your guns? Only accept money from people of your own ethnicity and background? If your script gets passed up for a lesser quality one about a middle-aged white guy who's bored with his easy life because the financier can relate to it, do you just feel "oh, well."

Comment

The Academy can only vote for the films it has exposure to, but you can't tell me that it being 94% white doesn't increase the chances that, if given equally worthy choices in a white and black actor, a member wouldn't be more biased towards the white one. And you can't tell me that it being 77% male doesn't increase the chances that, if given equally worthy choices in a female-led and male-led film, a member wouldn't be more biased towards the latter. And let's not forget the age factor.
                      Basically you're saying that many members of the academy are prejudiced and can't be trusted to be objective and impartial to race/gender/age.

I'm sure there are individuals in the academy that are prejudiced on race/gender/age, but I refuse to believe the academy suffers from systemic racism.

p.s. We definitely *can* tell you those things you tell us we can't, and we'd be as right in our assumptions as you are in yours. That's why they're called assumptions and not facts.

Comment

Sorry about Any spelling errors typing from phone/no spell check.

I would hate to live in a world where anything is given to me based on color or race or Orientation instead of talent Or hard work.

There is the reality that maybe you just arent good enough... You either work harder to make up for that until you cant be denied or go make them envy you...

I would like to again say i am a minority, English is not my first language, this is not a post from a place of hate or a place of Naiveness, this is me i'm talking about, i should want it easy.... I should say "hollywood let more people of color and ethnicities in so that i can have a job as the token hispanic in the firm (as required by law) without having to work as hard"... But i rather "we want you because you are great".

What is will smith worth? Tyler perry is 400 million i dont feel like looking will up, but lets say 200... I can't phantom what that money is like, and i can't presume to tell anyone what to spend their money on... But i can say thiS... If i had that kind of money and felt mistreated the last thing i would be doing is complaining... Id be making my own damn movies with my own damn actors and having my own damn oscars... Call them "the pimentels"

You think i would care about what else is going on? Why??!!! If my films are successful then nothing else comes close to mattering... Now here is the problems, if millionaires dont want to invest their own money into themselves because it might fail, then that right there points at your inadequacies as an actor/director/producer and perhaps shines a light on the very reason you did not get nominated to start with.
                        SUBTITLED
                        Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

Originally posted by thornmane View Post
                          Basically you're saying that many members of the academy are prejudiced and can't be trusted to be objective and impartial to race/gender/age.

I'm sure there are individuals in the academy that are prejudiced on race/gender/age, but I refuse to believe the academy suffers from systemic racism.

p.s. We definitely *can* tell you those things you tell us we can't, and we'd be as right in our assumptions as you are in yours. That's why they're called assumptions and not facts.
                          I never once accused the Academy of racism. There's a difference between "racism" and "bias". Go ahead, find a dictionary and look it up.

If the Academy was 94% black, I would expect a bias towards films featuring black leads and black casts as well. And I would also find that wrong and in need of change.

Comment

Originally posted by UnequalProductions View Post
                            So white people get the studio system, most networks, and actors of color have to depend on Will Smith to produce all their movies?

Will you stick to your guns? Only accept money from people of your own ethnicity and background? If your script gets passed up for a lesser quality one about a middle-aged white guy who's bored with his easy life because the financier can relate to it, do you just feel "oh, well."
                            Something tells me that if he were given a diversity-based grant (say, specifically for Hispanic filmmakers), he wouldn't be so quick to turn that down. Just something, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by figment
                              Interesting read on what's been done already, per Deadline article.
                              http://deadline.com/2016/01/oscars-d...do-1201687711/
                              Very interesting read, thanks.

Comment

Something tells me that if he were given a diversity-based grant (say, specifically for Hispanic filmmakers), he wouldn't be so quick to turn that down. Just something, I don't know.

dont judge me based on how weak you are... Ive turned down hard cash because they wanted to use me for my fanbase (promotion) rather than because of my skills... Ive done that numerous timeS... The moment you say to me "be in my movie so u can promote it". Rather than "be in my movie because you are good" i walk the other way... So if thats because of that then imagine if someone said "be in my movie/do this flick because you are hispanic"...

I rather be broke.
                                SUBTITLED
                                Episode 1 (Beef pills)

Comment

Working...
                                X