Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 02:35 PM   #1
acquaformosa
Regular

Default InkTip: Your Work Has Been Viewed

Like many of you who use the InkTip service, I occasionally get these messages regarding my work, though I never get proactive enough to send any independent queries to the companies or organizations that are doing the viewing. Mind you, I'm always tempted, but I figure that if they are truly interested in pursuing anything, they'll certainly get a hold of me, so I'm usually inclined to let the system work the way in which it was intended and not bother anyone unnecessarily.

However, there's a small production company that has been viewing my work every day for the past 3-4 days, and now I'm really tempted. My question(s):

- Have any of you ever sent any queries and attempted contact -- based on email from InkTip that someone has been viewing your work?

- In my 3-4 day scenario that I described above, should I make a token effort to initiate some form of contact or dialog?

- Shall I just let the system work its magic and the proverbial chips fall where they may?

acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:08 PM   #2
mray65
User

Default Re: InkTip: Your Work Has Been Viewed

I haven't. But if you do, keep in mind this passage from the InkTip user guidelines (http://www.inktip.com/protocol.php):

A screenwriter, if un-represented, must allow 3-6 weeks before contacting an industry professional (producer, representative, director, etc.) who has downloaded their treatment or script. Contact with the industry professional should be by snail-mail letter only. If represented, a screenwriter must coordinate any contact with an industry professional through their manager and/or agent.
mray65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Carlton Redford
User

"- In my 3-4 day scenario that I described above, should I make a token effort to initiate some form of contact or dialog?"
----------------------------------------
Don't even think about it. Re-read the guidelines for posting your logline, synopsis, and scripts on InkTip. You can be taken off their service with no refund by being the initiator of a contact with the viewer.

What you're considering is expressly forbidden in the terms you agreed to when you registered there. And there's a good reason for that: producers and reps want to feel free to do what thev've been invited to do -- check out the offerings of writers hoping to sell or gain representation... without being questioned by those whose work they view, (until they wish to initiate contact).

You'd no doubt conduct yourself in a reasonable way, but some would not. The viewers don't want to be asked to take time to explain "why" they're viewing or "what their reaction is" to your offerings, or even worse -- to be put in the position of explaining why they may not want to contact you.

If many writers did what you're asking about, producers and reps would start to avoid InkTip and that hurts other writers.

I'm not listed there but I do understand the temptation and mystery you're faced with. What might be sensible is to contact them in three or four months and pitch them as if you didn't know, or had forgotten they checked you out, and obviously to someone other the named individual (in case they weren't listed as "confidential" as many are).

-- Carlton
Carlton Redford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
acquaformosa
Regular

Thanks for the gentle reminders regarding the InkTip policies and terms of agreement. Apologies for being too lazy to double-check them myself.

Be rest assured I'll remain compliant with the guidelines and won't jeopardize anything for all concerned.

In the meantime, I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
acquaformosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 04:05 PM   #5
LIMAMA

Quite honestly, this means little in all probability. The company may be doing a search in your genre and your material keeps popping up.
LIMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #6
mray65
User

Not quite ... acqua is getting the "work has been viewed" message, which only gets sent when a synopsis, treatment or screenplay is actively reviewed. So it's a bit more than just showing up in the search results. Not much, but a bit.

On a side note, I once had a production company download my screenplay three times from InkTip. But it turned out to be three attempts at downloading a file that had somehow become unlinked from the database. InkTip fixed the problem as soon as I notified them about it, but the prodco didn't come back for a fourth attempt. So now I make sure to occasionally check my listing to make sure it's still working.
mray65 is offline   Reply With Quote