No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the scene like now?

Originally posted by Satriales View Post
    We're talking specs, not pitches, right? Where are the naked spec sales for anything non-genre'y that isn't made for a price? The contraction in 2019 on that front is not insignificant. Obviously there are mitigating circumstances right now. I don't foresee a reversal anytime soon.
    Sure, if we're limiting the field to "unpackaged, non-genre spec scripts," yes, that's a tiny market, but I think that's always been a tiny market. If you want to sell a prestige drama spec and have no access to any meaningful elements, I'd say your best shot is to find a compelling true story and dramatize it; like anything else, it's fairly low-percentage, but it also works out for multiple unknown writers every year!

Comment

Originally posted by AnyOtherName View Post
      Sure, if we're limiting the field to "unpackaged, non-genre spec scripts," yes, that's a tiny market, but I think that's always been a tiny market. If you want to sell a prestige drama spec and have no access to any meaningful elements, I'd say your best shot is to find a compelling true story and dramatize it; like anything else, it's fairly low-percentage, but it also works out for multiple unknown writers every year!
      I think multiple might be overstating it at this point. What are those sales for 2019? I might have missed them. Just doesn't reflect the realities of the marketplace, IMO.

The idea that The Virginian gets picked up for mid-6 in 2020? I don't see it. Does Mayday 109 get set up?

Now there's also been a massive hesitancy around true/period stuff as late but I think that's kind of baked into those numbers.

I sold a true story pitch this year. But I've (relatively) broken in and it can be made for under 10M.

Comment

I think multiple might be overstating it at this point. What are those sales for 2019? I might have missed them. Just doesn't reflect the realities of the marketplace, IMO.

The idea that The Virginian gets picked up for mid-6 in 2020? I don't see it. Does Mayday 109 get set up?

Now there's also been a massive hesitancy around true/period stuff as late but I think that's kind of baked into those numbers.

I sold a true story pitch this year. But I've (relatively) broken in and it can be made for under 10M.
        I think I know of four true story specs that sold last year (one might have been 2018?), though I don't think any of them have been announced. None sold to majors. One sold to a mini-major, but the others sold either to on-lot producers with discretionary $$ or to prodcos that finance development.

Like you, I sold a true story pitch last year, though unlike yours, mine is expensive (and will therefore probably never get made, but that's a different issue). I don't know. The hunger is there. I am constantly being asked for true stories, though admittedly, anything that has either a genre element or a Kennedy has an easier time.

Also: isn't Mayday 109 being done as a TV show for USA? Did I dream that?

Comment

Here's what's happened to "the scene" in the last 10 years:

Once upon a time . . . they liked your script, bought it, then paid you to rewrite it.

Then . . . they liked your script, optioned it, then paid you to write something they already owned.

Then . . . they told you they liked your script (didn't buy or option it though) then paid you to write something they already owned.

Now . . . they tell you they liked your script (don't buy or option it), then offer you the "opportunity" to "develop" one of their existing projects. You are not paid with "actual money" for this work but in "exposure" to "A-list" talent. If this second project is ever completed and sold, you will get paid then. Eventually. After your lawyer makes some calls.

Neither Joe Eszterhas nor I am amused.

Comment

Also: isn't Mayday 109 being done as a TV show for USA? Did I dream that?
            i believe it's still a feature film.
            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Garamond View Post
              Here's what's happened to "the scene" in the last 10 years:

Once upon a time . . . they liked your script, bought it, then paid you to rewrite it.

Then . . . they liked your script, optioned it, then paid you to write something they already owned.

Then . . . they told you they liked your script (didn't buy or option it though) then paid you to write something they already owned.

Now . . . they tell you they liked your script (don't buy or option it), then offer you the "opportunity" to "develop" one of their existing projects. You are not paid with "actual money" for this work but in "exposure" to "A-list" talent. If this second project is ever completed and sold, you will get paid then. Eventually. After your lawyer makes some calls.

Neither Joe Eszterhas nor I am amused.
              I think this about sums it up.

Comment

Re: "... that has either a genre element..."

Could someone define what that means and maybe offer an example of a true story with an "genre element?"

Would really appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by socalwriter1 View Post
                  Re: "... that has either a genre element..."

Could someone define what that means and maybe offer an example of a true story with an "genre element?"

Would really appreciate it.
                  You're conflating two things here. I mean, sure there are genre-y true story stuff. (Open Water as an example, maybe) But broadly speaking in the context of this conversation these two things are being treated as mutually exclusive.

Comment

Of course after downplaying this idea I sold a naked true story spec this week.

Comment

Congratulations, Satriales! But what do you mean by “naked” true story?
                      Last edited by finalact4; 01-18-2020, 07:14 AM. Reason: spelling-- typing on an iphone-- really small
                      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        Congratulations, Satrisles! But what do you mean by "naked- true story?
                        Thank you!

Just meaning no attachments (talent, Director) other than the producer who took it to the buyer.

Comment

Thank you!

Just meaning no attachments (talent, Director) other than the producer who took it to the buyer.
                          gotcha. Sorry for the mispelling-- typing on an iphone is a challenge for me. haha

Comment

Congrats! Was it announced? It was National Treasure 3, wasn't it?

Comment

Congrats! Was it announced? It was National Treasure 3, wasn't it?
                              Thanks!

Not announced yet. Trades soon, I hope. It's actually funny you mention that, anytime anyone asks me in a meeting what property I'd love to write my answers are National Treasure and a Wet Bandits origin story.

Comment

Working...
                              X