Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:50 AM   #41
ale88
New User

Default Re: LA Neighborhoods

Thanks alot Bart for offering your service. I am going to figure out which scripts I want to start with first and get back to you on it. Believe me I would love to have the notes and see what some one else thinks, as I am always revising and everytime I think its ready, I go back and read it and bam, there are more and more things I see that might need changing.

Also, I have also been researching the crime rates of some of the neighborhoods in the LA area. Just thought this might be some interesting info for some of you who seem to think bringing my kids to LA is not such a good idea since I have never gotten feedback etc. Of course the following is based on the fact that I would move away anyway, not just for the writing.

This is info from www.city-data.com (check it out it is interesting)

This was the crime rate for these cities in 2003. The pop #s may have changed some. The average national crime rate is 329.7. I am assuming all of this is adequate.

NYC (pop 8-9 million) 301.6
LA (pop 3-4 million) 530.7
Compton (pop 94,000) 576.4
Burbank (pop 100,000) 209.6
Atlanta (pop 417,000) 1033.5
Savannah (pop 131,510) 602.5
My current town (pop 98,000) 653.5

So as you see, fear not for my children's safety, as it is clear I would be moving to a 'safer' place. It seems my area has some of the absolute worse crime rates.
Old 11-28-2005, 05:30 PM   #42
Charli

Okay, guys, I put this on sticky because there is some good info here for
anyone wanting to move to LA.

I live in Santa Cruz which is one of the most expensive places to live in the
US, about 40% of the population can actually afford a home, the rest rent.
So if you were moving to LA but wanted to live by the beach (clean
one at that) that's near the studios, where would you suggest for everyone?

Charli
Old 11-28-2005, 07:21 PM   #43
WriteByNight

Can someone say roommates? Even the shoddy neighborhoods are pricey now.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:44 PM   #44
kullervo
Regular

"Live by the beach" + "affordable" + "near the studios" = impossible.

First, you can't live near the studios. Not all of them. Get a map. They're scattered hither and yon. And what is the advantage to living near one of them? Think the karma will rub off? Imagine you'll be spending much time there, even if you sell a script? Nope. Next, none of them are very near the beach. Not enough that you'll feel the gentle ocean pollution waft across the lot. About as close as you'll get is Sony in Culver City. Is it affordable? Not to 95% of the folks living elsewhere in the nation. And really living by the beach and having something affordable? Try Baja.

kullervo
Old 11-29-2005, 06:50 AM   #45
Mickster
User

I think Willoughby made a good point - Public Transport!

It's a dollar and a quarter on the bus or the metro. For 3 bucks you can get an all day pass.

My experience of travelling around by bus in LA has been positive. No doubt someone will chime in with how they were kidnapped/mugged etc on the bus. For instance from Downtown pretty easy to get to Culver City, Sony. Take the 33 or 333 along Venice Boulevard all the way to Overland then walk. Cost a dollar and a quarter. Compare that to those in cars, who are stuck in traffic on freeways, paying hefty parking fees as well as paying for the gas. Or those in taxis paying $30-40.

Or again from Downtown to Santa Monica, all the way to the Ocean, is only $1.25. Easy. There's even an express bus that stops every so often. Have done the trip both day and night. Relatively quick and safe. (I'm a white male and noticed that most passengers were Latino. Maybe it's a race thing and white people are scared to mingle with their fellow Angelenos?)

There's no need to sit in your own gas guzzler.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #46
Charli

Who cares about affordable, I can't afford it here. So, question again, what's
a nice clean beachy area to live near LA. Clean, not weird. Santa Cruz is
weird, not doing that again. No Venice for me.

Charli
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 AM   #47
jkk808

Santa Monica kicks Malibu's ass.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:24 PM   #48
GreatOz

I had a friend who stayed in a studio apartment in Malibu -- part of a rich couple's house. In exchange for helping take care of the cats (!) and a little housework, she got a very reasonable rate. I believe she found this deal on a public (not computer) bulletin board somewhere.

There's all kinds of possibilities.
Old 12-01-2005, 12:50 AM   #49
echo2218
Regular

This is insane. It isn't the crime rate but the quality of the stores??? The sick part about that is he's right. Crappy neighborhood = crappy supermarket and a crappy neighborhood supermarket is a quality of life issue.

Okay, if I were moving to NYC, I sure as hell wouldn't pick the Bronx as the area to live in. Yeah, crime happens everywhere, but it happens in some areas more often than others. Not all of NYC is unsafe, but chances are sh*t will happen more often on the Lower East Side (Alphabet City) than the Upper East Side.

I would think anyone moving to LA to get their writing off the gorund should also consider the return address on the envelopes they send. Maybe I'm a snob, but Compton is not the message I want to send to people who are very much into status. The people responding to a script know where Compton is and they know where Malibu is and they know the difference between them.

LA is style over substance. It always has been, and that is a part of the game that can't be ignored. I know there are many who will disagree, but in the 5 years I lived out there (I wasn't a wannabe writer then) I played that game.
Old 12-01-2005, 02:26 PM   #50
odocoileus

The city of Compton is too far south and west, much closer to Long Beach than it is to most of the studios. Industry people wouldn't want to live there for that reason alone.

There are industry people who live in the High Desert (Palmdale), or the Inland
Empire (Riverside) and make long treks in to work every day. Some writers do this too, driving in or taking the train when they have meetings. It would probably limit networking opportunities, though. Housing is cheaper in these way out locales, but it isn't really cheap anywhere in the LA area.

If you're a TV writer, the fartherst north you're likely to work is Santa Clarita, where JAG and CSI were based. CSI may still shoot up there. The farthest south you're likely to work is the Raleigh Studios in Manhattan Beach. Boston Public and the Practice used to shoot here. The OC and CSI Miami still do, maybe Boston Legal, too.

You can draw a crooked line, north by northeast, connecting the major studios, starting with Sony in Culver City, going north to Fox in West LA on Pico, moving east to Warner Hollywood and Paramount, going north through the pass to Universal, then east again to Warner and Disney. Most of the important stuff happens within five miles, on either side, of this crooked line.

Living in this area can probably help your career, assuming that you can meet the right people and fit in with the right crowd. Having real talent and doing good work matters more.
Closed Thread