Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2010, 11:16 AM   #31
instant_karma

Default Re: So, I got my first meeting with a producer tomorrow afternoon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
You've been talking to Ron Aberdeen, haven't you?
The page break was not kind to you there.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #32
JeffLowell

Ron Aberdeen needs no setup.
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM   #33
sc111

Quote:
You've been talking to Ron Aberdeen, haven't you?
I'm starting to feel, with Boski and Farnsworth gone, I've moved up in your queue for the role of "tag you're it."

As for your comment, first I heard of Ron was here, earlier this week.

What I posted I was told by more than one rep plus unsold writers who have taken numerous meetings to no avail. I've also been told by industry people, and have read in interviews of industry people, it is rare for an unsold writer to get an assignment. Not impossible, but more often than not the exception to the rule. (Some exceptions are unsold writers who made the Black List.)

Please - share your inside information to the contrary.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:14 PM   #34
JeffLowell

Most meetings by newbies don't result in a job. Most meetings by writers who've broken in don't result in a job. It's a really competitive business. I'm not sure that's anything but a really obvious, really apparent fact. I probably have meetings with forty or fifty new people a year, and maybe I'll end up working with one of them - a lot of my jobs are with people I already know, and I've only got time for three or four jobs a year.

Look, here's a common sense way to look at this: if newcomers really don't stand a chance of getting an assignment, then why do they get those meetings in the first place? You think producers and executives are bored, and fill up their days meeting with people who they don't plan on hiring?

Same with agents - do you think they sign unsold writers just for fun? Do you think they send out their samples and put them up for assignments just to torture the poor writers who won't get hired?

It's just so nonsensical. The film industry isn't The Truman Show, inviting writers in for jobs that aren't there just to see how they react.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:23 PM   #35
sc111

Quote:
Most meetings by newbies don't result in a job. Most meetings by writers who've broken in don't result in a job. It's a really competitive business. I'm not sure that's anything but a really obvious, really apparent fact. I probably have meetings with forty or fifty new people a year, and maybe I'll end up working with one of them - a lot of my jobs are with people I already know, and I've only got time for three or four jobs a year.

Look, here's a common sense way to look at this: if newcomers really don't stand a chance of getting an assignment, then why do they get those meetings in the first place? You think producers and executives are bored, and fill up their days meeting with people who they don't plan on hiring?

Same with agents - do you think they sign unsold writers just for fun? Do you think they send out their samples and put them up for assignments just to torture the poor writers who won't get hired?

It's just so nonsensical. The film industry isn't The Truman Show, inviting writers in for jobs that aren't there just to see how they react.
I'd venture a guess -- because everyone knows there's the occasional exception and no one wants to be the guy who blew-off the brilliant young writer who ended up making someone else a lot of money down the road. It's the basic driving motivation of all sales, in every industry.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:37 PM   #36
JeffLowell

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I'd venture a guess -- because everyone knows there's the occasional exception and no one wants to be the guy who blew-off the brilliant young writer who ended up making someone else a lot of money down the road. It's the basic driving motivation of all sales, in every industry.
So let me get this straight.

Producers agree to read scripts and have meetings and hear meaningless pitches from people they don't plan on hiring because, if they don't, when one of those writers finally gets a job, someone is going to hold it against them?

"Get Walter on the phone! I hear that three years ago he had a chance to meet with Diablo Cody for a job we weren't going to give her and he didn't take the meeting!"

That really makes sense to you?
Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM   #37
true_illusion
User

Quote:
I've been told the majority of newbie meetings go nowhere until you make your first sale, or perhaps, rank high on the Black List.
Just for the record, this wasn't a meeting about a potential assignment. It was in fact a meeting in regards to a spec I wrote that the producer is interested in pursuing.
true_illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #38
sc111

Quote:
So let me get this straight.

Producers agree to read scripts and have meetings and hear meaningless pitches from people they don't plan on hiring because, if they don't, when one of those writers finally gets a job, someone is going to hold it against them?

"Get Walter on the phone! I hear that three years ago he had a chance to meet with Diablo Cody for a job we weren't going to give her and he didn't take the meeting!"

That really makes sense to you?
Your double negatives aside, may I point out I said it was a guess. How about you set me straight by ...

Quote:
Most meetings by newbies don't result in a job. Most meetings by writers who've broken in don't result in a job. ...

... if newcomers really don't stand a chance of getting an assignment, then why do they get those meetings in the first place? .
... reconciling these two statements you made earlier. Aside from the fact it's a competitive business. Or, perhaps a shorter route may be to educate us on the various ways unsold newbies do indeed land assignments.

I seriously want to learn something here from you. Even if I have to play patsy to achieve it.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
JeffLowell

Quote:
... reconciling these two statements you made earlier. Aside from the fact it's a competitive business.
If you're going to disallow the answer, how can I give you the answer?

It's a competitive business. It's a hyper-competitive business. There are a hundred people applying for every job. That's what explains why it's hard to get a job.

Most meetings don't result in a job. Some do. How are those thoughts contradictory?

Newcomers land assignments by having the best pitch. Sometimes do they have the best pitch and lose out to someone with a track record? Sure. But sometimes they beat out someone with a track record because that person is so much more expensive.

There is no conspiracy. It's a tough business.

PS, my double negatives were intentional, but thanks for pointing them out.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #40
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Your double negatives aside, may I point out I said it was a guess. How about you set me straight by ...

... reconciling these two statements you made earlier. Aside from the fact it's a competitive business. Or, perhaps a shorter route may be to educate us on the various ways unsold newbies do indeed land assignments.

I seriously want to learn something here from you. Even if I have to play patsy to achieve it.
You guys are being silly.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote