Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 AM   #1
JoeBanks

Default The Crown

season one was good. season two (other than one episode) is *great*

this queen don't need no dragons to hold her **** down!
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:18 PM   #2
Darthclaw13
Regular

Default Re: The Crown

Saw season 1 and really liked it. Looking forward to season 2, just waiting for some down time to binge.

Glad to hear it's still good.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
SBdeb

I liked season one, but was able to readily "put it down" and forgot about it... now maybe I"ll have to check out season two!
SBdeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #4
TigerFang

Recently discovered “The Crown” on Amazon Prime and it is excellent fare, even if one is late to the party. Must see if you haven’t already.

As a companion to viewing “The Crown,” also consider “The Royal House of Windsor” documentary television series now available on Netflix. It, too, is a chronological tale expertly told with interviews, videotape, and film footage.

Last edited by TigerFang : 01-17-2019 at 07:28 AM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:14 PM   #5
LateNightWriter

I absolutely loved both seasons 1 & 2! I devoured them, and was desolate when I finished watching the last episode. The writing, acting, direction — all is outstanding. This is quality, golden age television. Can’t wait until season3!

Late Night Writer
LateNightWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:37 PM   #6
JoeBanks

I'm only four deep into season three but holeee crap...

Like, Claire Foy and Vanessa Kirby were good as Liz and Margaret but Olivia Colman v. Helena Bonham Carter in those roles is like Ali-Fraser

The show is usually away just long enough for me to forget exactly how first-class it is from top to bottom. Writing, acting, the look and feel.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
winter dreams

Big fan of first two seasons.

I'm only one ep into season 3, and I'm having a hard time seeing Colman as the Queen. It's not just the brown eyes (why didn't they use contacts??) it's her energy - completely different than my impression of the queen, and certainly different than Claire Foy's bright yet restrained character energy. Colman is too dour, negative - frankly she reminds me more of Margaret than Elizabeth. I'm told season 3 gets better so I will stick it out for a few more perhaps. But so far I feel disconnected from her character, I'm not buying into the illusion.
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #8
hscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter dreams View Post
Big fan of first two seasons.

I'm only one ep into season 3, and I'm having a hard time seeing Colman as the Queen. It's not just the brown eyes (why didn't they use contacts??) it's her energy - completely different than my impression of the queen, and certainly different than Claire Foy's bright yet restrained character energy. Colman is too dour, negative - frankly she reminds me more of Margaret than Elizabeth. I'm told season 3 gets better so I will stick it out for a few more perhaps. But so far I feel disconnected from her character, I'm not buying into the illusion.
I'm warming to her after four episodes, but my wife still feels the same as you. It's a shame because the new actor playing Philip is so good in his part, I haven't noticed the transition.

It's still wonderfully sumptuous high quality TV, though!
Old 11-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
Jake Schuster

I was thinking about this after watching episode 3 last night (the one about the mine disaster). First season was about transition: from being a princess to becoming a queen, so there was an arc involved. But now she's settled into the job, and my sense is that her coldness and formality is what this season is about. Hence the Wales episode, when she admits to not shedding even one tear. Only in the end, in private, can she do so. The Queen has been, and still is, inscrutable.
Jake Schuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
winter dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hscope View Post
I'm warming to her after four episodes, but my wife still feels the same as you. It's a shame because the new actor playing Philip is so good in his part, I haven't noticed the transition.

It's still wonderfully sumptuous high quality TV, though!
Yes - agree on both points, the guy playing Philip is excellent, and it's still high quality movie making. Watching the second ep now and loving the portrayal of LBJ, ha ha ha
winter dreams is offline   Reply With Quote