No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated Title Sequence in Script

Hi.

I'm looking for examples of live action films that opened with an animated sequence. I believe I've seen films that opened this way, but I can't remember the names. I'm currently working on a screenplay that I wish to open with a sort of story book/animated sequence, and I'm curious to see some examples.

Re: Animated Title Sequence in Script

I kinda doubt the title sequences were written into the screenplays, but off the top of my head...
    • The Pink Panther Movies
    • Troop Beverly Hills
    • Deadpool
    • Catch Me If You Can

HTH,
    Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
    3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Off Steve's post there is also...

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
      Juno

... as well.

But neither of those two scripts or the ones Steve mentioned have the title sequences written in, from what I could find. (I think you would be hard pressed to find any example.)

Generally, you make the film. Edit together at least a watchable rough cut and bring in a company and/or sequence designer so they can watch it and get a feel for the film first. They then go off and create the opening title credits based on what they saw and the director's vision. You can't really do that from a script.

Also, in an un-produced script for a "Pink Panther" sequel, it simply notes:

"FRONT CREDITS COMMENCE (TO BE DESIGNED BY RICHARD WILLIAMS)"

I don't ever recall ever seeing anyone write out what an animated sequence should or will look like for a movie in the script. Maybe it's out there, but I'd be surprised if it was by any professional.

If you truly, truly, truly feel the need to write one in because it is integral to your story and the entire script working, then just simply described what an audience will see. Note something like BEGIN TITLES (animated) or ANIMATED TITLE SEQUENCE and describe it like a Series of Shots, for example.

I wouldn't suggest doing that, but up to you and what works best for your script.
      Will
      Done Deal Pro
      www.donedealpro.com

Comment

I feel compelled to chime in about knowing off the top of my head that Troop Beverly Hills has an animated title sequence. When I was in college we screened it for a comedy class, and I remember being struck by how "old fashioned" it seemed to have animated titles.

They've gotten a lot cooler in the past decade.
        Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
        3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm writing a horror a movie and I want to open the film with a tale that is integral to the overall story, and felt it would be cool to show that as a sort of animated story book.

Comment

We did it in Miss Dial. It wasn't specified in the script.

https://www.amazon.com/Miss-Dial-Ama...dp/B00BSBSXNG/

Comment

Working...
            X