Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2019, 12:33 PM   #21
DDoc
User

Default Re: Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. Agree that it was pretty slow though.

Hateful 8 is still Tarantino's best movie imo.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 06:21 AM   #22
lumous
User

This movie was so boring, last thing one would expect from a Tarantino movie is to be bored. The main characters just meandered through the movie, and what really happened with Tate murder was so much more thrilling than what happened in the movie.

In this case reality is more thrilling and visceral than cinema. Should just watch the news.
lumous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
Merrick
User

My opinion: Leo's best performance ever. Tarantino's worst film ever.

So ridiculously uneven. There are great moments (and plenty of them). But so many dull as dirt moments. Agreed this one needed a huge polish.
Merrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:11 PM   #24
Friday

The movie was a bit underwhelming. Some good individual performances though. Plus, I liked the shots of recognizable LA hotspots.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:00 PM   #25
Megunticook
User

Just saw this tonight. Enjoyed watching Pitt quite a bit, DiCaprio was decent, Robbie good, terrific atmosphere and "feel."

I think this screenplay would have benefited from more revision before going into production. Not nearly as tightly built or polished as Jackie Brown, for example. I know that's a different kind of film, but this just felt there was some "unfinished" material in there.

I have no problem with brutal violence in films, as long as it isn't just gratuitous, but the climax scene here was so over the top it was almost laughable--except it's not really all that funny. The sound effects alone were ridiculously graphic. I really lost all interest at that point because it just felt like some sick juvenile fantasy of violence that did nothing to advance the story.

I'm surprised to hear so many people gushing about this film. I admire and enjoy Tarantino generally, but overall this was not a very good film in my opinion. Worth seeing if you like Tarantino.
Megunticook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #26
Satriales
Regular

Iím not a big QT fan at all. Just not my thing. But this one falls in my top 10 of the decade. Possibly top 5.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:20 AM   #27
Megunticook
User

The first 20 minutes were just a creative delight, really innovative storytelling approaches (the on-set "interview" with DiCaprio and Pitt was fantastic).

Also the "aging actor on a downward career trajectory" was a very rich situation for character development. DiCaprio's scene with the little girl during their lunchbreak was delicious.

Pitt as usual drew me right into his character who was also rich with possibility. Very strong performance.

But as the film wore on I started to get the feeling this wasn't really going anywhere--felt too sloppy. And the inevitable spasm of grotesque violence at the end--which admittedly you expect in a QT film--just felt a little overdone (not to spoil anything for anyone but a flamethrower? seriously?).

But glad you enjoyed it. I'm certainly glad I saw it. I think Pulp Fiction and especially Jackie Brown are absolute masterpieces of writing, filmaking, and performing, yet for some reason these last few QT films--rich as they are--just aren't fully engaging me.
Megunticook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 11:57 AM   #28
Satriales
Regular

Iím not exactly a QT fanboy. The only movies of his I really enjoyed previously are RD and Hateful Eight. I thought everything about this was perfect. It felt more grounded and less surreal. It was a love letter to everything I love about movies. And the sheer optimism of it all...it just felt different. Iím still in awe.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote