No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Loving your character too much

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Did you just pass on Gucci the person? Because I agree, he's just so boring!!!
    Nice try, but what I mean is that there needs to be SOME quality that keeps you watching / reading / listening. Wit, charm, energy, humor, intensity, pain, whatever. Something that ENGAGES you. Whether it's the good guy, the bad guy, or a secondary character.

For instance: I don't care how brilliant a movie is supposed to be, if I find the lead character annoying I'm probably not going to watch it to the end.

Re. BREAKING BAD, I found all of Walter White's family dull. But the storyline is riveting, so there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
      Oh, please. Whether in life or film, some people are just boring. Sorry. Pass.

Ha! No worries.

Like you said, whatever ENGAGES us is CORRECT!

But, I wasn't being facetious. And wait, did you just pass on me??? Used to it. LOL
      Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

No I did not pass on you. Geez, paranoid much? I pass on boring people / characters. You do go on at times, but you are anything but boring

I believe that was one of Billy Wilder's golden rules: don't be boring.

Comment

Rantanplan -- (btw we got to do a thread on just names on this board, some of them I don't get at all and love to hear the background, I mean JoeNYC -- what does that even mean???)

Anyway -- I'm just so confused as the person posting the last 3-4 posts does not seem to be the person who also couldn't figure out their character. You seem 100% confident now and you seemed anything but when this thread started...

Comment

Rantanplan -- (btw we got to do a thread on just names on this board, some of them I don't get at all and love to hear the background, I mean JoeNYC -- what does that even mean???)

Anyway -- I'm just so confused as the person posting the last 3-4 posts does not seem to be the person who also couldn't figure out their character. You seem 100% confident now and you seemed anything but when this thread started...
            Because I figured it out, dude. It's called writing You pull up a chair, you take a seat at the table, you flip open your laptop and you do the work, and then at some point, if you're lucky, it comes to you. But only with the work. And I've been forcing myself to do the work lately in a way that I usually don't. And damn does it feel good.

It's crazy how we all KNOW this, and yet we don't, and then when we do it, we remember that yeah, it freaking works. It comes with the work. It comes with the process. Characters reveal themselves to us. Freaking THEMES reveal themselves to us.

This theme literally jumped out at me the other day. This common thread between all these different characters I created.

You gotta let it take you where it takes you.
            And that only comes with the actual writing.

Comment

This is what I'm saying. You're fierce. On fire. I like the new you. Or maybe this is the old you and you were just stuck for a bit.... welcome back.

Comment

This is what I'm saying. You're fierce. On fire. I like the new you. Or maybe this is the old you and you were just stuck for a bit.... welcome back.

It's a beautiful thing when you figure it out. Right up until it's time to send it out to the universe.

Comment

No I did not pass on you. Geez, paranoid much? I pass on boring people / characters. You do go on at times, but you are anything but boring

I believe that was one of Billy Wilder's golden rules: don't be boring.
                  Awe... *smooches*

Comment

It's a beautiful thing when you figure it out. Right up until it's time to send it out to the universe.
                    Ick! The universe. Hate that place. Pretty sure that's where bad sh!t happens to your script.

Comment

Originally posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
                      Ick! The universe. Hate that place. Pretty sure that's where bad sh!t happens to your script.
                      The universe sucks!
                      I'm taking off for a few days and booking myself a hotel room in a little mountain town just to be alone with my writing and with nobody else in my headspace so I can finish this thing.
                      I am literally giddy with excitement.
                      Hopefully it won't turn into a BARTON FINK type scenario.

Comment

The universe sucks!
                        I'm taking off for a few days and booking myself a hotel room in a little mountain town just to be alone with my writing and with nobody else in my headspace so I can finish this thing.
                        Ha! Good luck!

I took a road trip to write one of my scripts. Loved it! Best writing experience EVER for me. I think it's the way to go. Glad you figured it out [your character]!

Comment

"Whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you want something, it is because that desire originated in the soul of the Universe. It is your mission on earth. [...] the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Go get 'em Rantan

Comment

Originally posted by Vango View Post
                            "Whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you want something, it is because that desire originated in the soul of the Universe. It is your mission on earth. [...] the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Go get 'em Rantan
                            Thanks Vango! I will report back after hanging out in cafes with a notebook for a week. Sometimes leaving the laptop in the hotel room works wonders. I feel that a good notebook (from France, preferably), a good pen, time and solitude in a different setting trigger something in the brain.

Comment

Because I figured it out, dude. It's called writing You pull up a chair, you take a seat at the table, you flip open your laptop and you do the work, and then at some point, if you're lucky, it comes to you. But only with the work. And I've been forcing myself to do the work lately in a way that I usually don't. And damn does it feel good.

It's crazy how we all KNOW this, and yet we don't, and then when we do it, we remember that yeah, it freaking works. It comes with the work. It comes with the process. Characters reveal themselves to us. Freaking THEMES reveal themselves to us.

This theme literally jumped out at me the other day. This common thread between all these different characters I created.

You gotta let it take you where it takes you.
                              And that only comes with the actual writing.
                              Facts. It's always right there on the pages, just have to "see" with different eyes sometimes for a character's truth to become clear. Good to hear it worked out.
                              "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

The universe sucks!
                                I was watching the Bill Gates documentary on Netflix last night and he squirrels himself away in a home out near a lake for a week at a time on a very specific schedule (monthly maybe?) just so he can focus on reading and researching and thinking about issues that are important to him.

it seems a good way to clear the mind or distractions that interrupt our process.

I love handwriting outlines, plot points and when a script is done or during the rewrite process i always print hardcopies and hand write notes with a red or blue precise V5.

Happy writing.
                                "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                                X