No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pacific Rim

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
    But it sure doesn't make me want to think about what it'd take to be a successful screenwriter.
    Like fifty tubes of Preparation H.

Comment

Ironically, the film that features 2500 ton skyscraper-sized robot warriors was pummeled at the Box Office by an army of 2-foot-tall bumbling twinkies.

On a happier note, congratulations to Gridlock'd for successfully predicting it would tank!
      I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

This movie hasn't tanked. It's getting great reviews and will have legs. I won't be shocked if it makes 300 million foreign. It should do well overseas. And I still think it will cross over 100 million here. Let's wait a month before we write its obituary.

As writers we should be rooting for this movie. This was an original script. That hopefully it will spawn a franchise. We don't want studios running scared from original material even more then they already are.
        Last edited by Deion22; 07-15-2013, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of it. First movie in ages where I wasn't thinking about other things halfway through the movie. It grabbed my attention straight off and held it all the way through.
          "Forget it, Jake. It's Hollywood."

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Yeah I have to say I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was a fun film. The opening, whilst exposition heavy, really built the world quickly and that first set piece was terrific, so atmospheric.

It really felt like a manga comic brought to life, which was the intent I suppose, so mission accomplished. Rinko Kikuchi was great, she actually injected some real emotion into proceedings. I had issues with the pacing in areas and don't think the third act could keep the momentum rolling but all in all it was a pretty entertaining time at the movies.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
              Ironically, the film that features 2500 ton skyscraper-sized robot warriors was pummeled at the Box Office by an army of 2-foot-tall bumbling twinkies.

On a happier note, congratulations to Gridlock'd for successfully predicting it would tank!
              1) It didn't tank. Not being number one at the domestic box office is not the same as tanking.

2) We want films to succeed. We especially want this film to succeed. It broke a few rules that execs like to stick to, rules we want them breaking in the future. Whether you like this film or not, you should be rooting for its success.
              Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                1) It didn't tank. Not being number one at the domestic box office is not the same as tanking.

2) We want films to succeed. We especially want this film to succeed. It broke a few rules that execs like to stick to, rules we want them breaking in the future. Whether you like this film or not, you should be rooting for its success.
                NO.

We want this to tank, saying that it's an "Original script" when it's from an established director like GDT and an established writer who can pretty much pitch any number of things and get a deal for it AND it's a rehash of transformers meets godzilla or any "the earth is about to be destroyed" film you've ever seen is hardly an "original script."

And what rules did it break except that it foolishly didn't have any real stars in it? Big monsters? Check. Heavy on the CGI action scenes? Check. Metal battlebots? Check. Laughably ridiculous premise that only fanboys will find even remotely plausible? CHECK!

This is exactly the kind of crap that studios would think works.

More importantly we want this film to tank because as long as studios think the best business model is to make films that cost $200 million to make you're going to see fewer and fewer specs get purchased that could be produced on $30 million budgets.

Seriously, do you think a studio is going to sink that much into a true spec from some unknown these days?

Think about it people...

Comment

Really? Are you that bummed that there hasn't been a superhero movie for the past few weeks?

This is pretty much why we can't have nice things.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

Originally posted by Signal30 View Post
                    Really? Are you that bummed that there hasn't been a superhero movie for the past few weeks?
                    Wha???? No super heroes???

Fetch me my angry trousers - I'm madder than I've ever been!
                    M.A.G.A.

Comment

Better watch it... angry trousers chafe.

My YouTube channel.

Comment

You'll be disappointed to know that they're already working on a sequel. Beacham will be scripting now, if not very soon.

Originally posted by dirtbottle View Post
                        Seriously, do you think a studio is going to sink that much into a true spec from some unknown these days?

Think about it people...
                        Evan Daugherty wasn't really a well known screenwriter when he sold Snow White & The Huntsman for $3 million as a spec. That was also a $180 million dollar production which made over $390 million worldwide.
                        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

1) Domestically, an opening of 37 million for what many considered to be the blockbuster of the summer is poor in my book. To put that into perspective, Iron Man 3 made FIVE TIMES that number. But don't get me wrong, I was hoping for 60 million. I liked the film.

2) Echoing Dirtbottle's comments, no matter what the outcome, I don't see how Pacific Rim benefits us unsold writers. Here's my three possible outcomes:

a) It's an original script (from a big time writer). If it succeeds, more original scripts will be produced (from a big time writer).

b) If it succeeds, studios will spend more money on giant robot flicks, AKA scripts you and I don't write.

c) If it flops, us writers are now especially screwed.
                          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Don't root for other people's movies to fail, even if they're not in your wheelhouse. And this idea that if a studio loses $250 million on some failed blockbuster they're going to be more amenable to your $10 million dramedy or whatever - it's not going to happen. It's just going to make it that much harder for anyone to get a sale at any budget, including you.
                            Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Seems like a movie that would sell a lot of dvd/bluray though no?

I think this one's gonna have long legs, I haven't seen it yet, but I listed to the soundtrack on youtube and if it's half as ass kicking as that then I'll go twice.
                              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

1) Domestically, an opening of 37 million for what many considered to be the blockbuster of the summer is poor in my book. To put that into perspective, Iron Man 3 made FIVE TIMES that number. But don't get me wrong, I was hoping for 60 million. I liked the film.

2) Echoing Dirtbottle's comments, no matter what the outcome, I don't see how Pacific Rim benefits us unsold writers. Here's my three possible outcomes:

a) It's an original script (from a big time writer). If it succeeds, more original scripts will be produced (from a big time writer).

b) If it succeeds, studios will spend more money on giant robot flicks, AKA scripts you and I don't write.

c) If it flops, us writers are now especially screwed.
                                You'd be better off spending all this time and energy into just writing something good, as opposed to criticizing and analyzing something none of us have any control over.
                                @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Working...
                                X