Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conundrum...

I have a problem that I was wondering if a pro or someone else with management might have some advice on. To wit:

I've written a script that has been read by several friends, many of whom are industry pros themselves and it's gotten good reviews however, my manager of two years disagrees and says it's not good enough to go out. EVERYONE agrees the concept is solid, however.

Normally, my manager and I are very sympatico on what is ready and what isn't and I readily incorporate his notes, but in this case I'm completely stuck as I happen to agree with the vast majority of the readers who've said they like it very much.

My question is this, I have a few other managers as acquaintances that I'm sure would take a read of the script but my conundrum becomes if they like it what then do I do? Is it a horrible breach of etiquette to be looking for a second opinion?

Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks in advance for any salient thoughts.

Re: conundrum...

Sounds like you've already gotten a bunch of second opinions, though.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you want a new manager? If you do then have your manager acquaintances read the script -- let them know you're at a crossroads and possibly looking for a new rep.

If you don't want a new manager, don't show it to them and instead focus on working with your current manager on getting the draft to a place where he's comfortable taking it out.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

When your manager says "not ready," do they mean: if you re-write it/make their (big?small?) changes, then will be it ready to go out? Or is this code for "not commercial/not what's selling?"

Seems like you need to ask the manager why they don't think it's ready. If you make all the changes they suggest, then they should have no excuses as to why it shouldn't go out.

Unless what your manager really means is: "not what the market's looking for right now" - which is something quite different.
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

People lie

In all seriousness, if they are your friends they might not always divulge the full truth. I read scripts for friends often and while I do think a lot of their scripts are good and I give notes, if they were to ask me "is this ready to go out against other scripts?" Then my answers would be totally different. Difference in good and great makes a difference. And I don't even read as much as managers do, so they probably have a better idea of what's going out.

If your manager has been in the business a while, then he's probably read a ton of scripts. He might have a sixth sense that you don't. At the same time he could be wrong. I went through the same thing, and maybe in hindsight he was right. But I sure wasted a lot of time asking that question instead of writing my next script.

Have you tried having someone that you don't know (and that knows about screenplays) try to read and give you feedback?

If it is that good, and he's not willing to take it out for whatever reason then there's a problem somewhere. And maybe it's something to look into and maybe not.
        Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Working...
        X