TV/episodic hosting on the BL starts today!!!

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TV/episodic hosting on the BL starts today!!!

Originally posted by Rochjeff View Post
    I hate this unending discussion/debate about the value of The Black List (it reminds of the incessant arguments over script consultants). I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to determine if this is a worthy investment. I just hate how the conversation always devolves into accusations that Franklin is trying to rip people off..etc. etc.

Look, we're all adults. We all have access to the internet (clearly), we know how to use the search bar on google (hopefully). Do your due diligence and research and see if this service and other screenplay-related services are worth your time, money and energy.

Franklin is not holding a gun to anyone's head and forcing you to use the Black List. Furthermore, he's been pretty transparent and accessible. I find it really irritating that folks are still questioning whether the BL is a moneymaking venture. OF COURSE IT IS! So what. If you want to spend the money to see if your work will gain some traction on the site. Do it. If you don't want to spend the money. Try another avenue. It's not rocket science, it's not some big moral dilemma.

Hopefully, you have a multi-pronged approach to trying to break in. The BL should be one of many avenues you pursue.
    YES!

I don't mind people being skeptical, as the aspiring writer sub-industry is full of scams. But when people pull out random accusations of bigotry, racism, etc. within a venture without any obligation to substantiate them -- they lose respect.

As for the indictment that there is money-making going on -- Hi, welcome to the world! Remember childhood and how your parents gave you everything for free? Sweet, wasn't it?

If you are an aspiring screenwriter, the waste of your time is a far bigger risk to your future and/or your family than $25 to $250 spent on the Black List. If you are really giving this a shot, hotly pursue other avenues as well.

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
      YES!

I don't mind people being skeptical, as the aspiring writer sub-industry is full of scams. But when people pull out random accusations of bigotry, racism, etc. within a venture without any obligation to substantiate them -- they lose respect.

As for the indictment that there is money-making going on -- Hi, welcome to the world! Remember childhood and how your parents gave you everything for free? Sweet, wasn't it?

If you are an aspiring screenwriter, the waste of your time is a far bigger risk to your future and/or your family than $25 to $250 spent on the Black List. If you are really giving this a shot, hotly pursue other avenues as well.
      Hear, hear, Canela and RochJeff. Anyone who grouses about BL being a "money grab" does not really understand the nature of "pay-for-play" in Hollywood -- it really comes down to be able to best SHOWCASE being offered to reach lit agents, managers and they're really harried assistants (the last of whom do the coverage and identifying of potentially "commercial" scripts).

I happen to now be a BL customer for their NEW TV script-hosting service and pay this going in because I believe strongly in their wide REACH with "industry pro" members, but hopefully this going to mean expanded ranks among the TV-based lit agents, managers, producers and other studio/network executives! Given Franklin's track record in FILM, I'm willing to bet bottom-dollar (and I mean "bottom," given my starving screenwriter budget!) that his membership among the TV ranks will expand as do the number of TV series and long-form script entries!

Still, I did want to bring up a concern with Franklin that we know that some of BL's paid "evaluators" also come from the TV ranks. Because BL was previously FILM-only in its screenplay submissions/evaluations, I'm not at all really sure how many of BL's readers have had much, if any, exposure to wholly different animal of script formatting, structural and storytelling of "episodic" television -- you know, things like "story arcs," "cliff-hangers," and the other finer points of "sitcom pacing" and dramatic character and story development.
      And then there is the whole "Buyer-Side" perspective from the TV networks, which are focused on reaching certain demographic ratings targets, companion flow with lead-in and lead-out programming, sweeps stunting, time-period comparables, potential advertising appeal (also that pesky "product integration" in some shows!), and other intricacies of program development.

Having worked in and around the TV industry since the late 1980s, I can firmly suggest that readers for episodic sitcoms, dramas and long-form teleplays and miniseries (and limited-run series) have been EXPOSED and versed in the major differences that come with "developing" a pilot and then TV series, etc.

It is just a way different animal and I do hope that Franklin has readers with this kind TV-centric approach and mind-set, too! My biggest fear is that will think an early miniseries episode I wrote lacks a "proper climax," etc., and not understanding that there is a continuation of a ''story arc" into the next episode!

I guess us TV-centric scribes will find out when the first "evaluations" come out and you guys might hear us belly-aching on the threads here that the BL readers "don't understand the devices we used," etc. Yep, I can admit us TV scribes (probably like film scribes) can be the best moaners and whiners in the entertainment universe if our work seems "misunderstood!"

Good luck to all of you posters who use, BL, because it truly is worthwhile "tool" and showcase for us writers to use -- even at a slightly costly price (depending on the number of your submissions). Right now, I have to do like the other Romans! Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by killertv View Post
        It's been three days. 100 pilots uploaded. So far it seems none have been reviewed as there are no top scripts listed yet. Which makes me wonder if there are new readers for TV or if it'll be readers with features in their queue reading pilots.
        Some of our readers have experience with both film and television. Others are exclusively feature or television readers.

All of our top lists have minimum rating requirements. It's not likely that you'll see them heavily populated for several weeks. Suffice it to say that pilot evaluations have already started getting returned to people.

Comment

Originally posted by Deion22 View Post
          Franklin, have you considered making an official TV Black list at the end of the year? Like the official Black list you have for features at the end of the year? Would love to see TV pilots highlighted at the end of the year like you do for feature scripts.

Anyways, great job Franklin, keep up the good work.
          It's something we've considered, but the television and film worlds work quite differently. Whereas pilots get a pretty straightforward up and down vote at the end of pilot season, the process for films can last for years if not decades, which is part of why the annual film Black List found so much early success. We'll do an annual TV list if we can figure out a way to structure it that will yield similar value.

Comment

I wonder where @mgwriter went.

Comment

Got my review today and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It was "only" a 7 but absolutely spot-on and really helpful. I agree with the weaknesses raised and will definitely address them in a rewrite.

Franklin, I've followed both threads and I'm pretty sure this question was asked before but I cannot remember the answer. If/when I order a new evaluation, will the new reviewer be able to see the review of the first one at all? Will it always be a new reviewer? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by asj View Post
                Got my review today and I couldn't be more pleased with it. It was "only" a 7 but absolutely spot-on and really helpful. I agree with the weaknesses raised and will definitely address them in a rewrite.

Franklin, I've followed both threads and I'm pretty sure this question was asked before but I cannot remember the answer. If/when I order a new evaluation, will the new reviewer be able to see the review of the first one at all? Will it always be a new reviewer? Thanks!
                Our paid readers are unable to see any previous evaluations or ratings, and yes, it will always be a new reader for each evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
                  I wonder where @mgwriter went.
                  Still around. Any reason why I shouldn't be? Glad to see you're checking for me, must mean my posts are impactful and important to you. So is there anything I can help you with Franklin?

Comment

Oh, I guess you were wanting me to respond.

In the case of racism and bigotry, problem was with your readers, so unless you're the reader who made the statements, then your background is irrelevant. Everything will be made available verbatim and you and others can make up their own minds whether there was racism or bigotry involved. In this way perhaps it will help you root out any bad apples in your reader camp. Again, a record of all correspondence has been kept and will be made available when all ducks are in a row. You, and people using the service can decide for themselves.

Without recapping my entire post, my point was you are selling 1-10 rating system as something more than the basic 1,2,3 (PCR), but in actuality because of you 8 threshold, your system isn't 1-10 at all. It's actually another form of 1,2,3. <8(nothing happens)=Pass, 8 (gets listed)=Consider, >8 = Recommend. I can understand how you ended up with a 123 system disguised as 1-10, it's because after all these years PCR is still the best way to evaluate scripts. In your system, is there really a difference between a script that gets a 2 or one that gets a 5? All those numbers below 8 are essentially useless because they all mean the same thing, Pass.

I commend you Franklin for attempting to come up with algorithms and apply mathematics in a useful way, but as was demonstrated in the movie, "Moneyball", numbers only get you so far when dealing with intangibles.

For this new wave of managers and producers who think they can find great "magical" material using numbers and algorithms, they're in for a rude awakening. Over time it's going to be the managers and producers with that special intangible talent for finding talent the old fashioned way who are going to be the ones who rise to the top, not the ones checking Numerical ratings and algorithms.

Franklin, this is not a personal attack on you, but I have to point out truth where I see it (May be annoying but it's how I'm built). And maybe the BL3 will continue to evolve and be an even better service in the future. So far I'd say your BL3 has been an excellent money making venture, fairly well executed, but there are some aspects that can be misleading to unsuspecting customers that need to be pointed out.

It's king of like putting out a movie, you can't expect that some people won't be critical of it. The same applies to launching a new money making venture, people have the right to analyze what you are selling.

Best to you and all your success!

Lastly, @mgwriter, you made the following accusation in another thread:

"Especially minorities, I've heard issues of racism and bigotry amongst Blacklist readers.--issues to be exposed in coming months I'm sure."

Yet you never returned to explain it further when I asked you to.

As I said in that thread, as a black man who grew up in the deep South (who named the institution as a commentary on racial bias and who has gone about setting up partnerships specifically to benefit writers from historically underrepresented communities), it's an accusation I take quite seriously.

Thought I'd give you another opportunity to stand by your comment.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                      Oh, I guess you were wanting me to respond.

In the case of racism and bigotry, problem was with your readers, so unless you're the reader who made the statements, then your background is irrelevant. Everything will be made available verbatim and you and others can make up their own minds whether there was racism or bigotry involved. In this way perhaps it will help you root out any bad apples in your reader camp. Again, a record of all correspondence has been kept and will be made available when all ducks are in a row. You, and people using the service can decide for themselves.

Without recapping my entire post, my point was you are selling 1-10 rating system as something more than the basic 1,2,3 (PCR), but in actuality because of you 8 threshold, your system isn't 1-10 at all. It's actually another form of 1,2,3. <8(nothing happens)=Pass, 8 (gets listed)=Consider, >8 = Recommend. I can understand how you ended up with a 123 system disguised as 1-10, it's because after all these years PCR is still the best way to evaluate scripts. In your system, is there really a difference between a script that gets a 2 or one that gets a 5? All those numbers below 8 are essentially useless because they all mean the same thing, Pass.

I commend you Franklin for attempting to come up with algorithms and apply mathematics in a useful way, but as was demonstrated in the movie, "Moneyball", numbers only get you so far when dealing with intangibles.

For this new wave of managers and producers who think they can find great "magical" material using numbers and algorithms, they're in for a rude awakening. Over time it's going to be the managers and producers with that special intangible talent for finding talent the old fashioned way who are going to be the ones who rise to the top, not the ones checking Numerical ratings and algorithms.

Franklin, this is not a personal attack on you, but I have to point out truth where I see it (May be annoying but it's how I'm built). And maybe the BL3 will continue to evolve and be an even better service in the future. So far I'd say your BL3 has been an excellent money making venture, fairly well executed, but there are some aspects that can be misleading to unsuspecting customers that need to be pointed out.

It's king of like putting out a movie, you can't expect that some people won't be critical of it. The same applies to launching a new money making venture, people have the right to analyze what you are selling.

Best to you and all your success!
                      If there is a problem with our readers, there is a problem with the Black List, and I would like to be informed of it. It's why we actively encourage writers to let us know if there's any indication their reader didn't read their script in full or closely.

My background is relevant, because I'm especially sensitive to accusations of racism and bigotry for what I'm sure are obvious reasons. Further, it's a great priority of the Black List to address the lack of diversity that currently exists within the Hollywood writing community. It's part of why we have a partnership with Warner Bros to identify a writer from a historically underrepresented community to a two-step guild minimum blind deal, something that will happen four times over the next two years. And there are more similar partnerships to come.

I'm quite certain there is no issue regarding racism or bigotry with our readers (and frankly your refusal to cite any facts whatsoever supporting your absurd claim only makes me more certain of this), but if there was, I am also certain that our response would be swift and absolute.

At this point, your refusing to share whatever information you claim to have would simply be perpetuating the bad behavior you claim exists, which I do suppose is your decision but ultimately a disappointing one. That said, please let us know, either privately or publicly, the results of your super-secret investigation whenever you complete it. No one will be more interested than I.

As for your claims about PCR vs. 1-10, I remind you again that every single screenwriting competition in existence uses a numerical system at least as complex as 1-10. You can disagree with it as much as you want, but know that you're indicting the Nicholl and Austin Film Festival (amongst reputable contests) along with us.

Within our system, there is absolutely a difference between 5 and 2 (I'm sure every writer who has submitted to the site would agree), enough of a difference that if a single script got those two ratings, they'd be offered another read at 50% off (something that would be impossible in a simple PCR structure.) I encourage you to take a closer look at our annual report. There's even a difference in average downloads between a script that has received a 5 rating and one that has received a 6 (1.6 vs. 2.55).

You're welcome to attempt analysis on what we're doing, and I certainly welcome criticism and analysis (see also, the thousands of posts in multiple threads here), but your analysis is deeply flawed, from both a logical and an evidentiary standpoint. Feel free to continue trolling here. I'll continue to correct you with actual information.

Comment

I can only respond based on my experience with the BL, so here it goes. I've had two scripts with 8s. Had another script that was a draft (my 50th draft), but i knew it wasn't there but i figured i'd see what people had to say so i bought 2 reviews. Scores were pretty close and not great (5/6) but comments were similar so it was a big help for draft 51. Recently posted another script and got a 5. I know it's one of my better scripts so i read the review and couldn't see what he/she was saying, so chose to disagree, i.e. no changes based on that review. i had thought about emailing BL about the first read but decided not to due to the subjective nature... anyway, second review comes in with 8s and 9s and BL emailed me the discounted offer within moments of the second review. That's pretty cool. At the end of the day, anyone who has done this long enough knows how subjective it is, how many people have to get on board to push something along. To think you won't have someone who reads your script and thinks its **** every now and then is very optimistic. I like the BL, i'm using it for what i need...to get good scripts out there and to improve my others. I'm willing to spend 100 bucks per script for that. And an extra $25 if it can get me even a little recognition. This thread is enormous so if this has been addressed ignore it but you have the ability to rate the readers so rate them.i hope people do that, you have the option, use it...and be honest, if they give some decent feedback don't slam 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic1 View Post
                          I can only respond based on my experience with the BL, so here it goes. I've had two scripts with 8s. Had another script that was a draft (my 50th draft), but i knew it wasn't there but i figured i'd see what people had to say so i bought 2 reviews. Scores were pretty close and not great (5/6) but comments were similar so it was a big help for draft 51. Recently posted another script and got a 5. I know it's one of my better scripts so i read the review and couldn't see what he/she was saying, so chose to disagree, i.e. no changes based on that review. i had thought about emailing BL about the first read but decided not to due to the subjective nature... anyway, second review comes in with 8s and 9s and BL emailed me the discounted offer within moments of the second review. That's pretty cool. At the end of the day, anyone who has done this long enough knows how subjective it is, how many people have to get on board to push something along. To think you won't have someone who reads your script and thinks its **** every now and then is very optimistic. I like the BL, i'm using it for what i need...to get good scripts out there and to improve my others. I'm willing to spend 100 bucks per script for that. And an extra $25 if it can get me even a little recognition. This thread is enormous so if this has been addressed ignore it but you have the ability to rate the readers so rate them.i hope people do that, you have the option, use it...and be honest, if they give some decent feedback don't slam 'em.
                          I tend to agree with this, and I've had a very similar experience at BL. And I know there is the "industry view" version of the site that ranks screenplays but I assume industry pros also see the Top lists. So in relation to the scoring, I don't see how big of a deal it really is as long as you're on that page. From what I was told from support the people who see your project in the email blast if you score an 8 are basically the same people who see your project if you show up on the site.

From what I heard here there are people who've found success at BL scoring a 6 and people who scored much higher with many dl's to no success. Because you have to keep paying for evaluations over time to keep you eligible for the top lists, there are many projects up there with double digit amounts of ratings, some over 20. People up there but showing no evaluations, other people showing evaluations in the 5 and 6s, nothing higher than a 7 etc

What I would say to Franklin is having a "testimonial" section for the site would help kill this "endless debate" about BL. I'm not saying I don't believe your numbers but other services can boast about how much money they've made for writers with testimonials. Its not that fair because its only been a year but obviouslly there is no number boasting how much money BL projects have made or the amount of in production films via BL. You'll see that on virtual pitchfest or inktip with actual production credits whether or not the film is a tiny production.

This will help because nothing happens on the back end after a writer has gotten the cosign from BL. At least at VPF even if you're getting an standard choice reason with a no to your query, its still possible someone mentions "Hey this was real good but not for us." or says "No but maybe you should trim the query to make the tone clearer" or "I don't have time to read this but do you mind emailing me and I'll see if someone else might want to?" All of which I've experienced. Script Pipeline is too much money for notes but at least you get to email your reader back and forth a bit after you get your notes. And they got a testimonial of a guy who got off the floor of a basement and on the set of a 100 mill movie who is giving them credit for cosigning him.

Just seeing your downloads go up doesn't mean anything since you won't hear anything back on a pass. You have no chance to progress or build from that. You could only spend more money and hope a bad score doesn't knock you out or you can just average a 7.

This is how the impression of BL being a "money grab" comes about, though I agree with previous posts OBVIOUSLY the BL is out to make money. Be prudent. Use it as a tool. 200 bucks to show up on their site for 3 months aint bad especially if you believe in the BLs ability to garner you exposure. But charges of racism and all that, with no evidence is not useful and doesn't help in the dialogue of how much of a help this service could be which is the point of this entire forum.

Comment

I used to be in a writing group where there was a woman who would cry and walk out of the meeting whenever someone gave her negative cricism. For some reason, mgwriter reminds me of her.

Originally posted by mgwriter View Post
                            Still around. Any reason why I shouldn't be? Glad to see you're checking for me, must mean my posts are impactful and important to you. So is there anything I can help you with Franklin?
                            You accuse Franklin of being a racist and a bigot and then say "oh, I didn't know I was so important to you." Ah, the joys of internet douchebag comments.

I applaud Franklin for being so civil to you. He is exactly the kind of person who needs to be running a site like this. He's transparent, honest, and constantly trying to help those people who have been shut out of this industry. He should be commended for his actions, especially since it's in the realm of screenwriters (who can be a bunch of whiny jerks).

But I'm not Franklin, so I don't have to be civil.

Mgwriter, based off your comments, I feel fairly confident in guessing your a person who posted a script on Blacklist immediately assuming you'd be discovered and wisked away to Hollywood where it would be never-ending hand jobs and executives telling you they didn't really understand the industry until they read your script.

Then you got a rated a 5.

Somewhere while angrily reading through your notes, you picked up on one thing that could be taken as racist, though only if you're in the mindset of a bitter writer, so you're waiting until other people come forward with similar experiences before going public with it. Only problem is, no one else is coming forward. Because the Blacklist is a professional organization.

And who cares how much money the Blacklist is making. If they have to deal with people like you, they earn every penny.

Seacrest, out.

Comment

Okay, I'm going to try to address this from a different perspective, NOT questioning the ratings system or the algorithm developed, etc.

My question here to be posed in front of my fellow scribes (especially any TV-centric writers here?) is what, if any, information should be provided by BL on what type of genres and forms of reads and evaluations its READERS have done historically? And before I say anything else, I would like it known that I totally back Franklin on the firmly maintaining and guaranteeing ANONYMITY of the READER and any "Industry Pro" downloader also remaining anonymous -- that is their god-given right in my belief!

What I have suggested to BL, though, is if it possible to simply attach raw data, the number of scripts that an EVALUATOR has done by GENRE and FORM (i.e. screenplays, miniseries, telefilms, hour dramas, sitcoms, etc.) and maybe the READER's "preference" for reading certain genres? From my perspective, what I'm "loosely" proposing initially is something meant as part of an effort to further augment the TRANSPARENCY, DUE DILIGENCE and CREDIBILITY for Black List's "new" TV Script-Hosting and established Screenplay-Hosting services and possibly offering the smallest modicum of "CHOICE" for WRITERS in selecting their READER (be it "READER #22 or "READER #60 in "anonymous" form!)??!!!

Please know, Franklin, that I totally believe and respect what you are saying about BL making every effort to secure READERS from the most experienced and varied professional creative backgrounds (be it former readers for prodcos, major studios, agencies, management firms, etc.). I guess what I'm proposing here is something akin to FAIR DISCLOSURE INFORMATION for BL to extend to your WRITER/CUSTOMERS because I seemed to have read a varying amount of posts over time on DDP here and elsewhere in Social Media questioning the "BACKGROUNDS" of some READERS.

Again, this is NOT about disparaging or seeking to impune any READERS' qualifications as it is about SIMPLY knowing what sort of EXPERIENCE, BACKGROUNDS and PREFERENCE the READER has about particular genres and media forms??!! I just got to think that some kind of ANONYMITY-BASED data field with this FAIR DISCLOSURE INFORMATION would be a hugely mutually beneficial for BL's credibility and the CHOICE it gives WRITERS would to place the responsibility on us for ACCEPTING their EVALUATION and RATINGS of one of our scripts...knowing that we are the one who ORIGINALLY made that choice for that anonymous READER! We can be ADULTS here and accept our critiques and scores -- and even if it took a longer in the process to get the reader to make their "measured" and "thought-out" evaluation!

I'm not sure if what I am tossing out here is a RADICAL concept and one that is flawed (or made before on DDP?) -- maybe fellow scribes here, Franklin and any other BL rep can just tell me this totally "impractical, undoable and illogical" or, perhaps, is this is a FAIR, logical proposal? I submit this to you all!

I'll just say, without laying out my personal concerns about BL's recent TV Script Hosting launch and the EVALUATION of my script, but I will say I have indeed taken exception with the analysis given to a LONG-FORM MINISERIES I had submitted, which, like other minis in the form, is bit more EXPOSITIONAL and more drawn out in its character development because it is over 7 episodes in length!

I did get my two-hour pilot episode (125 pages total) downloaded, read and evaluated by a READER in the span of the SAME-DAY (at a half-day or slightly less!) on November 19, which I knew because I was watching my page view stats. I'm NOT suggesting that some of the criticisms of certain portions of longer expositional dialogue was "UNFAIRLY" criticized, but I what I did notice and take issue with were a few major dramatic/climactic scenes and locales of the script were entirely OMITTED, which I (and a couple of writer friends on the social nets) interpreted that may have been the result of a quick "SKIM/SCAN" purview of the script by my READER.

Also, given that the MINISERIES form has been a rarely-produced/aired/seen on TV for the last 20 years (though it is making a small but promising ratings comeback the last two seasons), leaves to me wonder if my READER or any other Readers have much, if any, exposure to this kind of LONG-FORM tv programming? I'm just not sure if typically film-centric screenplay READERS on BL have had much exposure to long-form TV narratives?

And I wonder if some of the perceived cinematic emphasis on quicker "CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT" and "LESS EXPOSITION" (let the visuals sell more of the story?!) are greater because of the mindset of traditional screenplay READER being more used to two-hour SELF-CONTAINED STORIES, WITH BUILT-IN, LATE SECOND-ACT CLIMAXES AND ACT 3 RESOLUTIONS of the characters and plotlines -- something that is NOT as immediately "FORWARD-LOADED" into the scripting of LONG-FORM, EXTENDED EPISODIC miniseries and limited-run series by nature!

Again, I am not questioning the scoring system or the efforts of Franklin to bring in well-versed readers, but I do think there are some LEGITIMATE questions whether READERS are as well acclimated to and understand the intricacies of "LESSER EXHIBITED AND SOLD" genres/forms of long-form miniseries and limited-run series?

Please do know I have unyielding respect and admiration for BL has done to ELEVATE screenwriters works (be it from newbie to veterans), but the new TV Script-Hosting Service -- like any new online venture -- is going to have its understandable "birthing pains" and maybe it own need for "tweaking" and "revisions." And does it seem UNREASONABLE to all of you on DDP (including any "Industry Pros?") if some other amounts of anonymity-based FAIR DISCLOSURE and possible "CHOICE" of READERS by screenwriters would be a mutually-acceptable option and benefit for BL and its customers??!!

I'll let you guys be judge and jury on this one! Thanks so much for putting up with my longish EXPLORATORY proposition here!

Cheers!

Our paid readers are unable to see any previous evaluations or ratings, and yes, it will always be a new reader for each evaluation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ink-Stained Wretch View Post
                                My question here to be posed in front of my fellow scribes (especially any TV-centric writers here?) is what, if any, information should be provided by BL on what type of genres and forms of reads and evaluations its READERS have done historically?
                                I could be wrong about this, but I believe Franklin has said in one of these other threads that when the readers are hired, they are asked to disclose their preferred genres. In this way, the submitted scripts are then routed to people likely to be versed in it.

This isn't too unusual. For a couple of my jobs as a reader, I've let the Development VPs know that there are some genres I really don't like and when one of those is assigned to me, it's usually no problem to have it sent to someone else. I'm spending 3-4 hours with a script. I have zero incentive to be stuck with a genre I don't like.

That said, the chance you take in submitting professionally is that you'll never know the individual tastes of the reader at the agency or production company. But readers are smart people. They see the same movies you do and they read a heckuva lot more. They're trained to recognize what can get traction in the industry and recognize the virtues even in material that might not be their preferred tastes.

But the bottom line is that entering into this relationship means you're beginning a process that will end in a subjective judgement. You're never going to get 100% agreement on any work of art. If you write something good enough, though, you can probably count on a general consensus in the reactions, with the usual outliers.

Honestly, if it's a real concern only a carefully-selected reader will "get" your work, then your script probably isn't ready.

Comment

Working...
                                X