No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copyright Form

Don't BEAT ME if I am asking in wrong spot

I am trying to copyright a script and a bit confused on which form to use. Does anyone know if it is Form TX or Form PA.

Last copyright I did many years ago, I used Form PA, but after reading them both today, I am Now worried I did it wrong.

I have to get this done soon, planning on entering Austin contest.

I went to the copyrights forum sticky, but it's dated 2006, and doesn't answer my question.
    Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Re: Copyright Form

Use PA form.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Thank you Latenight! Breathing a bit easier now
      Looking for some light, and making things beautiful along the way.

Comment

Hello, I do not want to create a new thread so I ask here.

Nearly 9 years ago I have copyrighted a screenplay. During these years it was changed, it has left about 60% of the text, which similar to the old one. The screenplay has a new name. Now I am about registering the screenplay online, but should I mention previous registration? Why? What about having "two" copyrighted screenplays?
        In my Short Form Pa it is written year of creation: 2006. So now it would change to 2015? Am I free to write any year from 2006 to 2015 on the Title page?
        Thank you.

Comment

The usual disclaimer: I am not an attorney.

Here is my understanding of the issue.

You hold the copyright to the original work. That means that only you can create a «derivative» work. And that is what your substantial revision amounts to. It is a derivative work, and you can copyright it as a derivative work. The derivative work would have a new date, not the old date.

See this article:

http://copyright.gov/circs/circ14.pdf

Edit to add: You do not have to obtain a new copyright for works that have only minor changes to the original. The idea of a derivative work is that the new work has enough new material that it can stand on its own as a work separate from the original. Again, I am only providing my own understanding of the issue, based on what I have read. In other words, I could be wrong about everything.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekolino View Post
            Nearly 9 years ago I have copyrighted a screenplay. During these years it was changed, it has left about 60% of the text, which similar to the old one. The screenplay has a new name. Now I am about registering the screenplay online, but should I mention previous registration? Why? What about having "two" copyrighted screenplays?
            In my Short Form PA it is written year of creation: 2006. So now it would change to 2015? Am I free to write any year from 2006 to 2015 on the Title page?
            Pekolino, Comic Bent is correct. Also, not so long ago I found myself in the same situation as you, wrote the Copyright Office to be sure, and they responded that I needed a new registration.

No need to mention the previous registration because it becomes moot for two reasons: You changed a significant amount of text and you changed the name of the work.

There's no problem having two "related" copyright registrations, at least, to you they're related; no one else would know that. The new work with its new title would get this year's copyright since that's when you're submitting it to the Copyright Office.

You're free to write the year of the copyright on your Title page, but as a proven amateur screenwriter, I don't recommend it. I "hear tell" of stories of screenwriters who have a screenplay that piques the interest of a mover and shaker and then being asked, "What else have you got?"

That's when the crafty screenwriter dusts off their old scripts and shows them around. You don't want a date on your title page to give away the age of that great script you just knew someone would want someday. No, you want it to look as fresh as possible, so from my vast repertoire of inexperience I recommend "no date." After all, it's an ageless screenplay story, not a bottle of wine.
            Last edited by Clint Hill; 02-22-2016, 03:49 AM. Reason: word emphasis
            “Nothing is what rocks dream about” ― Aristotle

Comment

New registration yes, but do not register it as a derivative work. It will only complicate things.

Comment

Working...
              X