Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
Friday

Default Effect of the Coronavirus

Supposedly, the new Bond film has been pushed back 7 months and it's costing them at least 30 millions to do so. I am not sure how this affects the theater business. Are people afraid to go to movie theaters now? I know it's hit the cruise and airline industry hard. People that write in public places, are you staying home now? I noticed that most of the bottled water and sanitizers are picked clean from the shelves. For those that live in Los Angeles, how does that affect going out to eat, shopping and doing everyday things that you never thought twice about? I admit I felt a little paranoid this week after all the news coverage.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
JoeBanks

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

China basically has been shut down for over a month. Italy is next. Iran is apparently even worse than both of them.

We haven't been testing potential new patients here in the US at scale and the virus has likely been present from overseas travel and contacts since January, and as far as anyone can tell we're still not testing on the scale of a country like South Korea (10k a day, we have barely sent 10k kits out across the whole United States). So even the cases that are popping up in states and cities everywhere now that the 14-day incubation period has passed are likely just the tip of a much bigger iceberg.

SXSW canceled for the first time ever is the big fat canary in the coal mine. Public spaces everywhere are going to have to be sealed off once the full scope of infection becomes truly apparent
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:19 PM   #3
Southern_land

Anyone got a good pandemic script...

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 11:50 PM   #4
Friday

It's a little confusing. Are we to avoid every day things like going shopping, writing in coffee shops, going to the movies, going to eat at a restaurant? The thing that's scary is the community spread...the cases that popped with people who did not travel or knowingly come in contact with people from those 5 countries. I am not too clear on where the cases are in LA and what areas to avoid. The elbow bump is silly because you still breathe in the air by coming close to that person to bump.
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 AM   #5
TigerFang

What we need is Bruce Willis to pull a Twelve Monkeys maneuver and travel backward in Time to the mad scientist who developed this curse to stop it before it started.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:10 AM   #6
Friday

20/20 theorized it came from Bats.
Old 03-09-2020, 09:37 AM   #7
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
(Yes, I still check in to DDPro every few days, but only to read.)

I have a pandemic trilogy, published as a Kindle on Amazon in 2012, but written well before 2011 when Contagion came out. That one is probably the current standard in these types of stories.

Anyway, mine was in part inspired by the Swine Flu pandemic in 2009, and by films such as 12 Monkeys/Outbreak: ie. no zombies or space invaders! My main character has a SEVERE Cassandra complex; ie. nobody believes that the end is coming, despite her credentials and the references to the 2009 pandemic. (After COVID-19 is over, and we see how it turned out, I'll probably have to update my story to refer to it.)

Whatever, if you want to check it out, the first 28 pages is available for a free preview (Amazon supposedly allows the first 10%): The Mawr Pneumonica
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008EDNAW0

We're storytellers, not documentarians, so theme, pacing and entertainment are disproportionately more important than facts for this type of tale.

So, in retrospect, while this project is not very good, I do remember how it necessitated a ton of research. Most of that was about how to balance the technical stuff to establish the characters' bona fides and to inspire terror in an audience, against a bit of dumbing-down so that the audience could be more than a few thousand post-grads.

As for my days, nowadays, while living on a wee pension my typical week has been reduced to a single grocery shopping trip, and one for a lottery ticket. That's it. Like this for about two years now.

However, my week is still full of script polishes and marketing (pitching). I also have a couple of low-bud projects for which I'm trying to find attachments, so I can then offer up the I.P. + attachments + some possible funding (via LinkedIn connections etc.) to producers as an enticement. No hits so far, but there appears to be interest in (and respect for) writers who think outside the box like that. In the typical writer model, I do have some solid reads going on via cold pitches, but it's no tougher or easier than ever on that front.

I'd say that a little less time socializing may be what many writers can use but, as has been stated in this thread, the effects on the industry specifically and the economy/society as a whole are very worrisome. As people, we and our loved ones have to be careful but not paranoid. As writers, it's an opportunity to hunker down and prioritize our time so as to concentrate on things that are smartest and/or most productive.

Good luck to all!
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
socalwriter1
Regular

Hey Catcon,

We were just talking about Canada this weekend. You guys have a ton of movies (TV series/features/MOW) being shot up there.

Any disruption to those projects that you've heard of?
socalwriter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #9
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwriter1 View Post
Hey Catcon,

We were just talking about Canada this weekend. You guys have a ton of movies (TV series/features/MOW) being shot up there.

Any disruption to those projects that you've heard of?
Zero (that I've heard of). I don't pay much attention to trends in our Cdn. industry. "Backwater" is how one ex-pat (now long-time producer in U.K.) described us, and I tend to agree. As far as the effect of COVID-19, we're totally "followers" up here, so as the news gets worse from the U.S., the industry here will jump on board and go all panicky, and then go on the hunt for bail-out funds, no doubt.

Sorry to be so cynical, but I get far, far better and more frequent responses from U.S., U.K., even Australia than I do my very own country: You'd think Canuck producers would be eager to find out what a native writer has done ... given that having a Canadian writer virtually guarantees access to those big fat govt production grants up here.

But, a very poor response over the years, except occasionally I get the time-of-day, at least, from Darius, Chesler/Perlmutter Productions and White Pine (all Toronto), Original Pictures (Manitoba), or Bardel or DHX (for animation). Goldrush Entertainment claims to be looking, but has never asked for anything of mine despite being fully pitched.

PS. Sorry, this doesn't mean you shouldn't pitch up here, though, especially if you have the right type of politically-sensitive material, low-budget, etc. Go for it!

Last edited by catcon : 03-12-2020 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Added PS
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #10
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
Yeah... COVID-19: The Widowmaker

Last edited by TigerFang : 05-10-2020 at 07:38 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote