Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2010, 09:00 AM   #1
true_illusion
User

Default So, I got my first meeting with a producer tomorrow afternoon...

Any advice on what to expect, preparations to make etc. Would be greatly appreciated...

You got about 24 hours to lay it on me...
true_illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
gravitas

Default Re: So, I got my first meeting with a producer tomorrow afternoon...

Ha, it must be "meeting day." I have a meeting. My friend has one too. My suggestion would be to just be polite, professional, and prepared. Know what they've produced, be ready to talk about their ideas, their wants, and have a handle on what you're working on next in case they ask. Tell them the type of stuff you like. Be genuine. It isn't ominous. Don't build it up to be (in case you are). It's just an opportunity to expand your circle. Congrats. There will be many more. Keep that in mind. Approach it like that and everything will be great.
gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
true_illusion
User

Well this is quite possibly a make or break moment for me.

I'm broke (well i make ends meet but can't afford to fly to LA) and live in Michigan, so meetings is not something I am readily available for, and this happens to be a meeting with a well established producer who just happens to be in Michigan and specializes in the genre of the script we are meeting about.

I actually lucked out on it, I contacted a director who was here recently filming and he passed the information on to me because he knew what I proposed was what the producer was looking for at the moment and that he was in Michigan.

But needless to say once I got the invitation to the meeting, the butterflies have been fluttering ever since...
Old 02-17-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
carcar

Don't make it about make or break. It's just one meeting. If you got one, you can get another, even if you're broke and living in Michigan.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
thatcomedian

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_illusion View Post

I'm broke (well i make ends meet but can't afford to fly to LA) and live in Michigan, so meetings is not something I am readily available for, and this happens to be a meeting with a well established producer who just happens to be in Michigan and specializes in the genre of the script we are meeting about.

I actually lucked out on it, I contacted a director who was here recently filming and he passed the information on to me because he knew what I proposed was what the producer was looking for at the moment and that he was in Michigan.

But needless to say once I got the invitation to the meeting, the butterflies have been fluttering ever since...
How is it a break moment? You are already broke.

Last night in San Pedro
thatcomedian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM   #6
gravitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by true_illusion View Post

Let me tell you why you don't worry about this. Nearly everyone on this board has been in this position. Broke at one time or another. Unable to get where they needed to go. Ready to almost quit. But they didn't. That's what makes a professional writer. Do not give weight to one meeting. Ever. If you keep creating great work, you will keep getting meetings. I swear to you this is true. Don't let someone manipulate your emotions like a puppet. Create great, compelling work in your genre, be affable, and the rest works itself out.

P.S. This is based on years of my own worrying for absolutely no ****ing reason.
gravitas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
mikeb
Regular

It's all about being reasonable with the expectations.

What, exactly is the ceiling for a meeting like this? The producer buys your script/pilot/treatment, you make enough money to pay the bills and get set up with an apartment out in L.A., he introduces you around town, everybody hires you, soon you're waving to Terry Rossio by his frog statue every morning during your jog outside his ginormous house in Santa Monica?

Be realistic. This is about meeting a guy, convincing him you're not a dumbass, and down the road maybe you make enough of an impression that he'll pick up the phone himself when you call instead of groaning at the secretary to answer and tell you that he's tied up all day.

The odds of him loving whatever you have to show/pitch him are small -- maybe 50/50 at absolute best. The very fact that you're a (and excuse me if I'm wrong, I'm making an educated guess based on your description) Michigan resident who is taking your first meeting with a producer, he's not going to expect you to show him an Oscar-worthy script right now. That's OK, because if you're not a dumbass, when you DO have that script he might be willing to look at it.

Be cool, be smart, be funny, and make a connection.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
true_illusion
User

I am not the slightest bit expecting to walk out of there tomorrow with a deal or offer or anything else other than a "I'll get back to ya" with a chance of never hearing from him again...

It's the whole dumbass part that has me nervous :P

BTW, this is a meeting off a query, he hasn't even read the script yet...
Old 02-17-2010, 12:12 PM   #9
abiqua
Regular

The thing you've got going for yourself is that you're a Michigan resident. Michigan is THE state to film in at the moment. If this producer ends up buying your script, he could end up with a rebate of as much as 42% on what he pays you. My second spec sale just completed filming in Michigan. I was on location for all four weeks of pre-production and four weeks of filming. I'm not a resident of Michigan, so the producer was not able to get a rebate on the purchase of the script. Something to keep in mind.
abiqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
mikeb
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by abiqua View Post
The thing you've got going for yourself is that you're a Michigan resident. Michigan is THE state to film in at the moment. If this producer ends up buying your script, he could end up with a rebate of as much as 42% on what he pays you. My second spec sale just completed filming in Michigan. I was on location for all four weeks of pre-production and four weeks of filming. I'm not a resident of Michigan, so the producer was not able to get a rebate on the purchase of the script. Something to keep in mind.
Remember though -- he can buy any script and film it in Michigan. If buying a resident from a Michigan screenwriter was an incentive for Hollywood, I never would have moved away from Michigan (lived there for 22 years, went to college there).

I moved to the west coast, as close as I could to where deals actually get done.

About the only advantage of being a Michigan screenwriter is that more producers are coming through the state than before, and there's more opportunities to schedule meetings or help out on big-name films.

But although producers might be coming through, 99% still call L.A. home.
mikeb is offline   Reply With Quote