When your agent doesn't like your script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When your agent doesn't like your script...

Originally posted by Telly View Post
    Writr, I must say, for someone I don't recognize around here I'm impressed with your listening skills. By now a new poster would have been firing back his retorts because he knew coming in what he wanted and really didn't want opinions at all. You on the other hand, are being very open to suggestion and might I add, learning from others.

Take note, newbs, THIS is how you take advantage of the forums.

Bravo.
    Right on.

Comment

But we've all had experiences where one pro likes what we did, and another doesn't. A lot of writers get repped off a script that numerous other reps read and passed on. A production company buys a script that other companies passed on. Studios buy scripts in turnaround from other studios that lost interest in the property. Studios spend millions of dollars making movies that some love and others hate. So at some point, it's all subjective, and just because someone's an agent doesn't mean he has the last word or that his opinion can't be faulty.

So I think it's a tough call. Hopefully you will get some extensive feedback from your agent that helps you understand his objections. If you get favorable opinions from other writers or a script consultant, and remain convinced that your script deserves to be out there, then I think you'll be facing a tough decision.

I think going with your gut can be a good thing as well. I know at least of one story here on DD where a writer had a rep who wouldn't take out the script, he dumped the rep, signed with another and sold the script a week later.

I know I'm going to get hell for this, but ultimately I believe the only people who have our best interest in mind one hundred percent are ourselves. Everybody else just wants a piece

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, most times they're not, most times, client happy = agent happy. I just hate to see people give up on projects that mean a lot to them just because other people told them to. I think there are some things that you have to find out for yourself.

Comment

Rantaplan, He never implied he was going to give up on it, nor did anyone suggest that. Also, no one disagrees that we can only count on ourselves and I question anyone who doesn't inherently follow that mantra. I think you're missing the point of the stronger suggestions in here.

The idea, which I think the poster is leaning towards is stepping back, taking a breath and discussing it with his agent after the holidays, to get a better grasp of what the agent finds wrong with the script. Then, if the OP finds those concerns valid he'll address them. If he doesn't, he can make a decision being fully aware of where his agent stands.

Comment

Rantaplan, He never implied he was going to give up on it, nor did anyone suggest that. Also, no one disagrees that we can only count on ourselves and I question anyone who doesn't inherently follow that mantra. I think you're missing the point of the stronger suggestions in here.

The idea, which I think the poster is leaning towards is stepping back, taking a breath and discussing it with his agent after the holidays, to get a better grasp of what the agent finds wrong with the script. Then, if the OP finds those concerns valid he'll address them. If he doesn't, he can make a decision being fully aware of where his agent stands.
          No, I agreed that he should get extensive feedback from his rep first. Then I suggested getting outside opinions, and only then making a decision

I did get a feeling that there was blind acceptance in this thread of anything a rep said, so if that is not the case I bow in humble and sincere apology.

Comment

Originally posted by snwrist View Post
            Like others have said, look at this script objectively -- if your agent doesn't want to send it out, he could be doing you a favor. On the other hand...
            I think looking this script objectively is something I’m going to have to try for. As I said, I’m somewhat emotional attached to it and the plight of the characters because I’ve used a bit of my own life in their story and obviously have a biased viewpoint. So hopefully after I talk further with my agent I can see his viewpoint and see things with less of a bias.

...if you truly believe in the script, try to get it set up yourself. My manager didn't warm to one of my horror scripts, so I got it to a horror director that I really respect...and he signed on. Now, the director's manager is making the rounds with the script, scored a bunch of meetings, etc. Still in circulation, so we'll see if it has a happy ending. And my manager had no problems with me doing this –
            I’d really like to try and set it up myself because I’m one that enjoys to do all the legwork and be in charge, but the Catch-22 is that no one will read your script unless you submit through a rep.

-- after all, why should he? If it gets set up, he still gets paid for not having to do anything on this particular script! And I absolutely trust my manager's opinions -- he's very knowledgeable with the market and story sense/development. BUT, anybody can misjudge a script's potential at some point.
            Yeah, it’s certainly possible that the script could be well-received by others. We all have unique tastes in stories and films.

Writr, I must say, for someone I don't recognize around here I'm impressed with your listening skills. By now a new poster would have been firing back his retorts because he knew coming in what he wanted and really didn't want opinions at all. You on the other hand, are being very open to suggestion and might I add, learning from others.

Take note, newbs, THIS is how you take advantage of the forums.

Bravo.
            Thanks so much! Well I feel that all those are taking the time to post, I should at least have the courtesy to read each posting and reply when something makes me think or to answer a question. Glad I’m not wasting anyone’s time.

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
            But we've all had experiences where one pro likes what we did, and another doesn't. A lot of writers get repped off a script that numerous other reps read and passed on. A production company buys a script that other companies passed on. Studios buy scripts in turnaround from other studios that lost interest in the property. Studios spend millions of dollars making movies that some love and others hate. So at some point, it's all subjective, and just because someone's an agent doesn't mean he has the last word or that his opinion can't be faulty.

So I think it's a tough call. Hopefully you will get some extensive feedback from your agent that helps you understand his objections. If you get favorable opinions from other writers or a script consultant, and remain convinced that your script deserves to be out there, then I think you'll be facing a tough decision.

I think going with your gut can be a good thing as well. I know at least of one story here on DD where a writer had a rep who wouldn't take out the script, he dumped the rep, signed with another and sold the script a week later.

I know I'm going to get hell for this, but ultimately I believe the only people who have our best interest in mind one hundred percent are ourselves. Everybody else just wants a piece

Not that the two are mutually exclusive, most times they're not, most times, client happy = agent happy. I just hate to see people give up on projects that mean a lot to them just because other people told them to. I think there are some things that you have to find out for yourself.
            Thanks for the response. I’m definitely keeping in mind that writing and art is subjective and that we each have our own likes and dislikes. But then it kind of concerns me, wouldn’t it be most beneficial if my agent and I had the same tastes? It’s something interesting to think about.

Originally posted by gravitas
            I went through a similar situation as Joe. Wish I could have read his post a few months ago. My manager guided me to a spec that didn't cut it with the agents. I also understand why the agents didn't go out with it, and I trust them. I haven't fired my manager though, because his instincts with my first spec were good. I'm going to evaluate him with the next one and go from there. Very frustrating situation to say the least. You have to remove yourself enough from the work to evaluate it from the agent's perspective. That still doesn't buffer the fact that you worked for months on something, and it's going to remain in your documents folder. Good luck with everything Writr.
            Thanks! I wish you the best as well. It really is frustrating when someone doesn’t see the same vision as you do. But I guess that’s something we all have to come to terms with when we work with the art of writing.

Again, thanks to everyone who’s joined in on this thread! Really appreciate it.

Comment

Not sure what level of people you're dealing with but I've been on over a hundred or so meet and greets these past few years with all different levels of execs and I can't remember ONE that said to me "your rep has to send us the script."

They're meeting with you...you're talking about your work...and they say they wanna read it....they're soliciting the script so???

Rantanplan, you got it backward -- the time to get the outside opinions from trusted readers is BEFORE you show it to your agent.

You only get one chance to make a first impression and other cliches certainly apply.
              "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post
                Not sure what level of people you're dealing with but I've been on over a hundred or so meet and greets these past few years with all different levels of execs and I can't remember ONE that said to me "your rep has to send us the script."

They're meeting with you...you're talking about your work...and they say they wanna read it....they're soliciting the script so???
                Well we haven't met in person. I pitched them through email and they wrote back requesting the script but through an agent because of their policies regarding unsolicited scripts. Even though they are technically soliciting the script now . I'm dealing with directors of development, so not the top of the food chain.

Comment

Originally posted by joe9alt View Post

Rantanplan, you got it backward -- the time to get the outside opinions from trusted readers is BEFORE you show it to your agent.
                  Well thanks for singling me out but I was only repeating what others already said, which is to get other opinions

Either way, in his case it's too late for the BEFORE, because he's already shown it to his agent. And the agent isn't sold on it. But he believes in it, and apparently a number of industry people are intrigued by the concept and anxious to read the script, so it might in fact behoove him to get objective feedback from other sources in order to sort it out.

Anyway, the notion of reps and clients disagreeing on material is an interesting one, and clearly people here have had different experiences with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Writr View Post
                    Well we haven't met in person. I pitched them through email and they wrote back requesting the script but through an agent because of their policies regarding unsolicited scripts. Even though they are technically soliciting the script now . I'm dealing with directors of development, so not the top of the food chain.
                    Be careful how enthusiastically you take that though. "Send it through your agent" is a standard response companies give to weed out the unprepped writers. I know I've gotten it before.

Not trying to burst your bubble - just saying, don't pin all your faith in these requests unless you're sure they're real requests, because much of the time if a producer REALLY wants to read your script they don't give a crap who sends it.

That said, I don't have a lot of experience with the big studios - just the little guys. Maybe with the big guys it's different.
                    Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
                      Be careful how enthusiastically you take that though. "Send it through your agent" is a standard response companies give to weed out the unprepped writers. I know I've gotten it before.

Not trying to burst your bubble - just saying, don't pin all your faith in these requests unless you're sure they're real requests, because much of the time if a producer REALLY wants to read your script they don't give a crap who sends it.

That said, I don't have a lot of experience with the big studios - just the little guys. Maybe with the big guys it's different.
                      It's not always easy to tell. I once talked a production company into letting me send the script without a rep, and their response was, OK, but just please make sure to include this whole correspondence so we have proof of how the script came to us.

That made me understand where they're coming from a bit more. I think that if someone is not interested, they'll give you the typical brush-off (well aside from deleting without reading, or reading and not responding). If they say "submit through your rep," I think they might actually be interested, they just need that legal protection. I actually once had someone from Plan B CALL me to tell me I could submit through an entertainment attorney.

I also think it's totally up to the individual. I have a script in at two pretty big production companies right now, one sent a release form, the other didn't. So you never know. Same with big agencies. You can send 50 queries to agents, and maybe you'll get the note from the legal department only once.

Comment

Your agent is inherently on your side. They only profit if your script sells.

He/she is invested in the script just like you. So, if your agent passes, it means something.

As for this script consultant stuff... if they're charging to review your script, then they're interests are different.

They make money no matter what they say about your script. Their biggest interest is to get you to come back and pay again and/or send more business their way.

You have to rely on their good intentions in order to get an HONEST appraisal. I don't care how good their intentions may be, we all know what the road to hell is paved with.

Your agent has no agenda other than to sell your scripts. Again, if they're passing, it means something.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                          It's not always easy to tell. I once talked a production company into letting me send the script without a rep, and their response was, OK, but just please make sure to include this whole correspondence so we have proof of how the script came to us.

That made me understand where they're coming from a bit more. I think that if someone is not interested, they'll give you the typical brush-off (well aside from deleting without reading, or reading and not responding). If they say "submit through your rep," I think they might actually be interested, they just need that legal protection. I actually once had someone from Plan B CALL me to tell me I could submit through an entertainment attorney.

I also think it's totally up to the individual. I have a script in at two pretty big production companies right now, one sent a release form, the other didn't. So you never know. Same with big agencies. You can send 50 queries to agents, and maybe you'll get the note from the legal department only once.
                          One of these people I was talking to wanted to read the script but said I must send it through my agent because within the last year they had someone accuse them of stealing their concept. So I don't want to go against the policies of these companies. It can start things off terribly or ruin these opportunities.

Originally posted by prescribe22 View Post
                          Your agent is inherently on your side. They only profit if your script sells.

He/she is invested in the script just like you. So, if your agent passes, it means something.

As for this script consultant stuff... if they're charging to review your script, then they're interests are different.

They make money no matter what they say about your script. Their biggest interest is to get you to come back and pay again and/or send more business their way.

You have to rely on their good intentions in order to get an HONEST appraisal. I don't care how good their intentions may be, we all know what the road to hell is paved with.

Your agent has no agenda other than to sell your scripts. Again, if they're passing, it means something.
                          This is true. He wants the best for me and he's being honest, which is probably rare in this business so I can't just brush it off and move on without him. I'm heading back to the drawing board to rework things. I've already started, but won't have an objective view till I talk further with him.

Thanks for the tips and for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

Just a hunch, and I know nothing about this particular situation ... but, perhaps your agent has problems with the execution of the script, something that an e-query would not reveal. So, perhaps the pitch works very well for the script, and your agent wants you to bring the script up to the level of the pitch.

Good luck with it!
                            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
                              Just a hunch, and I know nothing about this particular situation ... but, perhaps your agent has problems with the execution of the script, something that an e-query would not reveal. So, perhaps the pitch works very well for the script, and your agent wants you to bring the script up to the level of the pitch.

Good luck with it!
                              I was just thinking about this today. It's definitely a possibility. I really believe the concept is compelling and very unique, but perhaps certain scenes weren't executed well and the dialogue may need some work. And I'm more than willing to work hard on both weak spots.

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement!

Comment

I can't read thru all these posts but lemme offer this...

It happens to me often. I mostly spec sh!t my reps don't like. In the end, you're screwed and it's time to find alternative avenues while WRITING A NEW SPEC. (for those that remember, Me and Mongo had to put one of these projects on the internet.)

When I spec edge, non-commercial sh!t, I know the odds are my reps won't wanna go wide with it. They're not in that business.

If your reps can't get behind your script, they're not gonna be able to sell it. They're not gonna be able to sell you on the next job.

Get over it and start writing a new spec.

Comment

Working...
                                X