Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2010, 01:02 PM   #51
Writr
User

Default Re: When your agent doesn’t like your script…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deion22 View Post
My old manager said something, "If we could do your job, we would be writers. No one is ever right until the script sells".
That is some serious food for thought! Thanks for sharing your story and this quote.

Standing by our writing is so crucial to our voices and to our success. But we do have to listen to the people who know the business side of the art.
Writr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #52
Lucha Scribre
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post

Can't be mad at the system, can't beat the system, you can only understand it and accept it in your face.
You should T-shirt that **** on Cafepress.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:43 PM   #53
Telly

I've literally had a boutique agent tell me if I left my current agent (at one of the big 4) she would be able to sell the script that got me signed with them. I took a leap of faith, left the big daddy and signed with her.

One year later and this particular script is still lining my bird cage. For what it's worth, the door was left open by the big agency and like a prodigal child, I'm returning in a few weeks.

My point is, my big agent understood the script as an excellent show piece to get me into the door of several producers. I took advantage of that and met dozens of producers during that time, all the while figuring if it's gotten me into this many doors how come the script itself wasn't selling?! The reason is, it's a small drama by a small fish. I became delusional and didn't want to hear that at all, so when this boutique came along I jumped ship prematurely. Now I'm crawling back because it turns out my original agent knew what the hell he was talking about after all.

Sometimes we get caught up in our own ego and forget the reality of the market and those who know the market better than we do.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #54
MJ Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
I've literally had a boutique agent tell me if I left my current agent (at one of the big 4) she would be able to sell the script that got me signed with them. I took a leap of faith, left the big daddy and signed with her.

One year later and this particular script is still lining my bird cage. For what it's worth, the door was left open by the big agency and like a prodigal child, I'm returning in a few weeks.

My point is, my big agent understood the script as an excellent show piece to get me into the door of several producers. I took advantage of that and met dozens of producers during that time, all the while figuring if it's gotten me into this many doors how come the script itself wasn't selling?! The reason is, it's a small drama by a small fish. I became delusional and didn't want to hear that at all, so when this boutique came along I jumped ship prematurely. Now I'm crawling back because it turns out my original agent knew what the hell he was talking about after all.

Sometimes we get caught up in our own ego and forget the reality of the market and those who know the market better than we do.
Wow, that was the most constructive, concrete example/advice I've seen on this issue in a long time. Good Luck Telly. Hope that one gets out of the birdcage. Will you have to change it much?
MJ Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:47 PM   #55
Writr
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Scribe View Post
Wow, that was the most constructive, concrete example/advice I've seen on this issue in a long time. Good Luck Telly. Hope that one gets out of the birdcage. Will you have to change it much?
Yes Telly, thanks for sharing your story! It's a different result than we would all hope for, but it's an outcome we must considered. I wish you the best! Thanks again for helping me and other learn.
Writr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #56
BattleDolphinZero

Quote:
What interests me in this thread is the decision that writers make to yes or no try to get their passion projects out there on their own if their rep won't. I'm curious as to how much that happens and how it affects the writer / rep relationship.
It can get dicey with the reps. Depending on how you move with your own material, you're kind of challenging them when you pursue exposing a script they've deemed unworthy or, worse, uncommercial.

It's rare that a rep will think you're writing is just too off-point to expose to the town, so this conflict usually happens when you're going too edgy or weird or whatever. I try to warn my guys ahead of time, "look, kids are going to get their brains blown out"

Usually you will be vindicated in some form. You prep them in advance. They do the "limited release" which I believe is their technique to kill your **** and shut you up. They get good reads. Give the script to a few more people. You get in the room on a gig.

I've never been so vindicated that I've sold the script but getting a gig can be a pretty healthy "i told you so." it gives you weight the next time you write something, too.

But again, it does get dicey.
BattleDolphinZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:19 PM   #57
Rantanplan

Interesting stuff. Clearly actors and directors get involved with small or difficult passion projects that their reps must not be too wild about. But even well known actor-producers or director-producers can get the door slammed in their faces all over town, despite their fame and box office clout.

If you're Mel Gibson though, you can say fvck you, finance the film yourself and make one of the most successful independent films in the history of cinema
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #58
Knaight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post

If you're Mel Gibson though, you can say fvck you, finance the film yourself and make one of the most successful independent films in the history of cinema
You can also slap women, hate on Hanukkah, and keep on working.

Ah, Hollywood.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #59
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rantanplan View Post
Interesting stuff. Clearly actors and directors get involved with small or difficult passion projects that their reps must not be too wild about. But even well known actor-producers or director-producers can get the door slammed in their faces all over town, despite their fame and box office clout.

God hates Mel. He'd be much happier without the fame and money.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #60
emily blake

That was a good post, Telly.

I think it's just like readers. You find someone whose opinion you trust and then set your ego aside while you follow their advice, but not everybody knows what they're talking about. The hard part is figuring out whether or not you can trust them, methinks.