Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #1
chuckhustmyre
User

Default Sold script, movie in post-prod., can't get agent...

I wrote the movie "House of the Rising Sun," which just finished shooting 10 days ago. It stars Dominic Purcell, Dave Batista, Amy Smart, and Danny Trejo.

With a movie in the can, I thought agents would come to me.

But nooooooooo (to borrow from John Belushi).

I can't even get an agent to answer my query.

I have an option on another script, a new crime novel coming out from a big NY publisher (which I'd love to sell the film rights to), and a backlist of a couple of true crime books from Penguin (film rights available), and STILL I can't find a script agent.

Last edited by chuckhustmyre : 01-18-2011 at 04:53 AM.
chuckhustmyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
Writr
User

Default Re: Sold script, movie in post-prod., can't get agent...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckhustmyre View Post
I wrote the movie "House of the Rising Sun," which just finished shooting 10 days ago. It stars Dominic Purcell, Dave Batista, Amy Smart, and Danny Trejo.

With a movie in the can, I thought agents would come to me.

But nooooooooo (to borrow from John Belushi).

I can't even get an agent to answer my query.

I have an option on another script, a new crime novel coming out from a big NY publisher (which I'd love to sell the film rights to), and a backlist of a couple of true crime books from Penguin (film rights available), and STILL I can't find a script agent.

What gives?

Chuck Hustmyre
www.chuckhustmyre.com
I checked out your site quickly and you do have some amazing credentials and I'm surprised that you aren't getting any replies to your queries. Perhaps it's what you're saying in your query and how it's formatting. If you want, post an example of your query in the "Loglines and Query Letters" section above and maybe others can give you some feedback.
Writr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
Landis26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writr View Post
I checked out your site quickly and you do have some amazing credentials and I'm surprised that you aren't getting any replies to your queries. Perhaps it's what you're saying in your query and how it's formatting. If you want, post an example of your query in the "Loglines and Query Letters" section above and maybe others can give you some feedback.
Try and ask your publisher for a lead/referral to an agent or manager, or the producer of your film.
Landis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
MontanaHans

Try going for managers who can give you a referal to an agent, which I hear is often the tried and true way to get an agent. It also helps to have a deal set up and ready to go for the rep, (ie an unsigned contract) that way the rep can get a nice easy commission without doing any work. They love that. Do you have a bunch of spec scripts that are perfect and ready to sell in the marketplace? Or do you mainly write literature and books? Maybe you should be targeting LITERARY AGENTS (ie folks who sell and market BOOKS). Many Literary Agents can cross their author clients over into Hollywood, case in point Bret Easton Ellis, who has three screenplays in development right now, as well as a bestselling novel on shelves. Just my two cents. FYI I'm repless.

SMASH TO:

BLACK
MontanaHans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #5
DavidK

Quote:
What gives?
It's a completely fickle world and there could be many reasons. Ask Michael Arata if he could help you with an introduction or referral.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #6
Writr
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis26 View Post
Try and ask your publisher for a lead/referral to an agent or manager, or the producer of your film.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaHans View Post
Try going for managers who can give you a referal to an agent, which I hear is often the tried and true way to get an agent. It also helps to have a deal set up and ready to go for the rep, (ie an unsigned contract) that way the rep can get a nice easy commission without doing any work. They love that. Do you have a bunch of spec scripts that are perfect and ready to sell in the marketplace? Or do you mainly write literature and books? Maybe you should be targeting LITERARY AGENTS (ie folks who sell and market BOOKS). Many Literary Agents can cross their author clients over into Hollywood, case in point Bret Easton Ellis, who has three screenplays in development right now, as well as a bestselling novel on shelves. Just my two cents. FYI I'm repless.

This is great advice and perhaps your best bet. Your query isn't so bad that you wouldn't get any replies. Going through your publisher might be the last piece of the puzzle you need to get your foot in the door.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Writr
User

Quote:
Michael is no longer involved in the production. I've asked about everybody I know. My book agent referred me to a very successful script agent, but he's had my book six months and hasn't read it.
Did you or your book agent follow up? Sometimes you've got to keep kindly reminding people that you're waiting for their response. How about some other script agents? Your book agent has to know more. Or how about your book agent's book agent friends at other agencies? Maybe they can refer you to some other script agent?
Old 12-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #8
Rantanplan

Why do you feel you need an agent? You got a movie produced without them, another script optioned without them, and you have a new book coming out. If nobody wants you, screw them and deal directly with producers

P.S.: It seems to me that book agents typically handle film rights for their authors. Not for screenplays, obviously, but for the novels. Doesn't your agency have experience in this area?
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
Gillyflower Cooms

If the movie is a big hit then every agent will want to sign you but until then you got no heat so agents aren't kicking your door down...and you don't have a screenplay...you're trying to sell your book to film which is even less desirable if it isn't a bestseller...Your book agent should contact a book-to-film agent at some agency and work that angle...but literary-screenplay agents probably won't be excited about a not-a-bestseller novelist who doesn't have a spec script.
Gillyflower Cooms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
MontanaHans

One more thing:

I mentioned author Bret Easton Ellis because I think he's the best author/screenwriter working today. Query his reps at ICM, where I have actually had luck with a cold email query before (ended with a pass though). Ellis' ICM reps have been:

Garth Friedrich
Josie Freedman
Mickey Berman (current)

His current manager is:
Oren Segal, Media Talent Group

Might as well start at the top, right? PM me if you need the email structure.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Last edited by MontanaHans : 12-29-2010 at 08:43 PM.
MontanaHans is offline   Reply With Quote