When your agent doesn't like your script...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When your agent doesn't like your script...

Originally posted by SBScript View Post
    God hates Mel. He'd be much happier without the fame and money.
    I'd like to make millions of dollars so I can see if I'll be more or less miserable than I am now

Mel is a deranged human being but a whacked out visionary when it comes to films. There seems to be this glorious madness to him.

Comment

Hi

Just wanted to update everyone on what happened.

About a week after I started this thread, something occurred in my family that had a profound effect on me and those around me. It forced me to reevaluate what I wanted from life, from my career, and for my family. Some things became less important and that's what happened with this screenplay of mine which was rejected from my agent. The script just wasn't strong enough and after further thought from a different view, I've admitted that to myself. However, with this event, it has ignited and shifted my passion to another story that I think will be more impactful to audiences, have more success with producers, and not to mention it's a story my agent already knows about and has passion for.

The one major difference with my approach this time is that I'm writing the story as a novel first, then we'll be approaching production companies to sell the rights to, and our aim is to retain as much control over the writing of the script for myself, if it's possible. I'm feeling more comfortable with this route of publishing the novel first. It may be easier than going out with a spec. Publishing a book first helps develop a following, producers are more attracted to a property that has been tested and to its following, if it was a success. And it also gives two possible revenue streams for me and my agent. Overall, it seems like a better option with more opportunities.

So right now I'm working on the novel and it's going great. I have a ton of passion for the characters and story, I love what I've written so far, and I'm having fun writing it. I can see it being both a successful novel and film.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I don't think I would have come to the conclusion I did if it wasn't for some of the responses here. You guys really made me think!

Thanks again.

Comment

Well, good luck with your new direction and inspiration!

Comment

Originally posted by scripto80 View Post
          Well, good luck with your new direction and inspiration!
          Thanks! I recommend others to consider this as an option if their passion does lie in writing. Writing a book first can help you flesh out a concept. And if you have a popular book, producers coming knocking on your door.

Comment

I have two and one half unpublished novels I wrote before I had a laptop, on a defunct computer. Perhaps I need to dig them out, and type them into my current system and submit them. One came "Within a hair's breath of being accepted" by Peachtree Press.

I wrote my first script as an exercise to try and whittle a 780 pp novel down a bit.

Good luck to you with the novel! They are fun to write, especially if you don't mind writing paragraphs of description.
            sigpic http://blip.fm/Peasblossom

Comment

Originally posted by peasblossom View Post
              I have two and one half unpublished novels I wrote before I had a laptop, on a defunct computer. Perhaps I need to dig them out, and type them into my current system and submit them. One came "Within a hair's breath of being accepted" by Peachtree Press.

I wrote my first script as an exercise to try and whittle a 780 pp novel down a bit.

Good luck to you with the novel! They are fun to write, especially if you don't mind writing paragraphs of description.
              I actually love writing paragraphs of description. Good luck with your novels as well.

Another point I wanted to make about the benefits of writing a book is that the odds of getting you stories out there is probably greater. The risk is lower for publishers to publish a book than it is for production companies to produce a movie based on a spec script.

Seriously consider tackling a book!

Comment

Good for you, Writr, and best of luck.

This thread you started has been a delight to read. So few are.

Comment

I've seen the light!
                  "A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others."
                  AYN RAND

Comment

Originally posted by adieu View Post
                    Good for you, Writr, and best of luck.

This thread you started has been a delight to read. So few are.
                    Thanks so much. I appreciate it. I'm really glad this thread was a value to others.

Originally posted by belac View Post
                    I've seen the light!

Comment

Never give up. A grey day may become a better one.
                      It's only an island if you look at it from the water.

Comment

Working...
                      X