X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List Feature Writers Lab

Happy to announce that I made the cut:

http://deadline.com/2016/10/the-blac...rs-1201834928/

"After more than 800 applicants, The Black List has whittled down the lot to seven screenwriters, none of whom have made more than $100K in their writing careers, to participate in the 3rd annual Feature Writers Lab.

The chosen will partake in an all expenses paid weeklong, residential workshop in Los Angeles that runs October 17-22. Each writer will workshop one screenplay through a peer workshop and one-on-one sessions with working professional screenwriting mentors, which include Eric Heisserer (Arrival), Stephany Folsom (Thor: Ragnarok), Graham Moore (The Imitation Game), Kirsten Smith (Legally Blond), Scott Neustadter (The Fault In Our Stars), Victoria Strouse (Finding Dory) and Scott Myers (Go Into The Story). Additionally, they will attend a series of events and screenings that will further expose them to the realities of a life as a professional screenwriter."
    "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Re: Black List Feature Writers Lab

Brava!

Comment

Congrats, Lauri.

Wow, Eric Heisserer, I just reread "Story of Your Life" again since "Arrival" is coming out so soon. Man, I was in tears all over again.

Have fun at the workshop.
      "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Congratulations!
        "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Excellent!

Comment

Thanks, all!

En route to Austin so I'm going to have a great time the next week and a half.

Comment

Fantastic news, Laurie! Huge congrats!

Late Night Writer

Comment

Congratulations! Have a wonderful time!
                "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

Yay! Big congrats!

Comment

congrats on that
                    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Lauri that's huge, congrats to you! Would love to read a future article of your experiences with the workshop.

Comment

The Scott Myers blog with all the details on the lab will be coming soon!

Comment

Here's the first report on the screenwriting lab:

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/r...460#.fmy5gj7cn

More details to follow....

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            Here's the first report on the screenwriting lab:

https://gointothestory.blcklst.com/r...460#.fmy5gj7cn

More details to follow....
                            Your quote in the article was interesting, Lauri. What "type" of feedback did you receive that made you (with your former top-placing Nicholl script) delve back into rewrites?

Can you expand on that at all?

Will it make you approach rewrites on other things the same way?

Were there new ways of thinking about your script specific to your "genre" of script or more overall?

Comment

Originally posted by figment View Post
                              Your quote in the article was interesting, Lauri. What "type" of feedback did you receive that made you (with your former top-placing Nicholl script) delve back into rewrites?

Can you expand on that at all?

Will it make you approach rewrites on other things the same way?

Were there new ways of thinking about your script specific to your "genre" of script or more overall?
                              It was just good feedback -- two hours each from four professional screenwriters, plus several hours from Scott Myers and my lab mates.

There were many "aha!" moments, where people made suggestions for how to make it stronger, or said something that inspired me.

I don't know that anything would carry over to other scripts, but it was a big help with this one.

Comment

Working...
                              X