Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #11
ComicBent

Default Re: Final Draft 8 corrupt file - don't panic?

So I guess you worked it out, huh? I hope that you did.

Anyway, if you still have the problem but do not want to send the file, try downloading the demo of Fade In and using it to import the file.

If the Fade In demo does not let you export back to Final Draft .fdx, I can do it for you, since I have the registered version of Fade In.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:12 PM   #12
ComicBent

Update to previous comments

In the last six weeks I have received three Final Draft .fdx files from people who found that their .fdx files were corrupt and would not open. At least two of these people had already checked with Final Draft. They reported to me that Final Draft had said that nothing could be done.

I tried everything that I could. I tried importing into Fade In. I tried opening in a professional text editor (Notepad++) just to see what was there.

Nothing worked. Opening in a text editor ought to yield text that looks a lot like HTML code. Instead, I got nothing but NUL NUL NUL in line after line.

All three files were exactly alike in this respect. Just NUL NUL NUL.

I also sent the third file to Kent Tessman, the developer of Fade In. He looked at the file and said that he could not get anything out of it.

Two of the three people told me that their automatic backup folder had nothing helpful. One of them told me that everything was corrupt or that nothing was there (it was not clear to me just which). The third person told me that her backup folder, with its default of 50 files, had become full and had no backups of her recent file. The folder only had some really old files. This did not make any sense.

According to the Final Draft documentation, which I checked last night, the older files are supposed to be purged as new ones are added.
You can set ... the number of backups stored in the folder before the older backups are purged.
The wording is a little vague, but I checked my own automatic backup folder (I use a default of 10), and I had 10 files from the last few days, from the script that I was helping someone with, which he had sent in Final Draft format. And I never purge those files manually, so they are obviously supposed to roll off into oblivion when newer files come into the folder.

It would appear that the automatic backup failed, at least in the case of the third person with a corrupt file. She had also just installed Windows 10, and it rebooted while she was working (as I understood the matter).

Bottom line here:

1. If your Final Draft .fdx file will not open, and you get NUL NUL NUL when you look at it with a text editor, I cannot help. I wish I could, but I cannot.

2. Consider some backups in addition to the automatic backup folder. Of course, you should be doing that anyway, because the hard disk may fail.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." — ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:40 PM   #13
WriteByNight

Thank you so much Rene C -- 7 years later
Old 06-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #14
finalact4

i, too, have had this problem on older versions-- FD7 & FD8. usually i was able to recover files in the archives.

since then, i "save as" whenever i am at a stopping/pause point. it's inconvenient, but better than having the fear of crashing. i save file versions by date.

i am working on macs. i will say that since i switched to a mac (years ago) i have not really had this problem so much.

recently, i lost power a couple of times or i had the program lock up my entire computer and have had to reboot the hard way-- the on/off button. yikes!

but so far, it's always recovered the version with my most current, up to the second changes. i have autosave on constantly.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
Centos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
i, too, have had this problem on older versions-- FD7 & FD8. usually i was able to recover files in the archives. ...
Does Final Draft allow exporting to Fountain now? If it does, I would definitely add that to your backup procedure. Text files will never go out of style.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:25 PM   #16
JoeBanks

one nice thing i like about Fade In is that you can link it directly to a dropbox folder for saving a backup copy to the cloud (I also Save As a copy to my Google Drive for triple redundancy)
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote