Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2020, 06:09 PM   #1
finalact4

Default LA Area Code...

Hello all:
Jump to the last paragraph and skip the explanation...

Looking for some good advice. I am trying to make my move to Cali this year, I know crazy time to do it, but I figure there isn't a better time.

I have an opportunity to get a new phone number and I want to get an LA area code because 1) it may help as I search for a job and actually be considered based on my skills, 2) look better for industry people and 3) make it an easier transition once I get there and not have to disrupt new contacts with a new phone number.

I can relocate easily (or at least as easy as possible) to LA around August. There are a lot of companies that need buyers/category managers. It's just that I'm in Connecticut right now and that's about as far as you can get from LA and most companies won't even consider my resume because they don't have a relocation package.

What is the best LA area code to request?

Thank you DDPeeps.

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: LA Area Code...

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
Hello all:
What is the best LA area code to request?

Thank you DDPeeps.
It's a little bit of personal taste and some may be put off by this but I'd say this in order, IF the phone carrier will even allow it:

818 (I'm pretty sure a decent number of writers who live in the valley have this area code)

No one is really going to care too much. Many folks out here have area codes from all over the country since in this day and age, most people are using their cell phone only and then dip in & out of LA as their lives change. I've seen call sheets with all sorts of area codes on them. Pretty much everyone has free long distancing call so no one blinks an eye.

As long as any resume you send in notes you have an LA address and live here, it shouldn't be problem.

The last time I picked up a new number and this was for DDP some years back, I could only get a 424 area code. It's an overlay for 310.

All the best with getting the number you want.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #3
Friday

310. Maybe 818 because that's Burbank. Certain area codes I don't even bother picking up.
Friday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:53 PM   #4
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
It's a little bit of personal taste and some may be put off by this but I'd say this in order, IF the phone carrier will even allow it:

818 (I'm pretty sure a decent number of writers who live in the valley have this area code)

No one is really going to care too much. Many folks out here have area codes from all over the country since in this day and age, most people are using their cell phone only and then dip in & out of LA as their lives change. I've seen call sheets with all sorts of area codes on them. Pretty much everyone has free long distancing call so no one blinks an eye.

As long as any resume you send in notes you have an LA address and live here, it shouldn't be problem.

The last time I picked up a new number and this was for DDP some years back, I could only get a 424 area code. It's an overlay for 310.

Yes, AT&T will allow you to select your area code.

When job hunting in a different industry (CPG) for a day job, it might matter more than the "entertainment industry." Who knows. I have an opportunity and will need to change my number for privacy reasons, so I thought why not?

Thanks for the advice, Will.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 04-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #5
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
310. Maybe 818 because that's Burbank. Certain area codes I don't even bother picking up.
Thanks, Friday.

I know the COVID-19 stuff is causing a lot of anxiety in you, but I thought of you tonight and thought this might brighten up you mood a bit, because honestly I feel the anxiety too.

I'm in Avon, Connecticut and we're been sheltering in place for our third week. There's lots of room here between houses, usually 1/2 to over an acre. Lots of bears, fox, racoon and deer just wondering in y our yard.

To show their respect for the first responders and law enforcement officers each night at 8pm everyone goes outside to their front yard and cheers for them, their bravery and their sacrifice.

But tonight, they had fireworks!!

I think I'm feelin' 310

It was amazing and uplifting and really inspiring. I hope you are doing better .and if you ever need an ear, shoot me a note. Happy Easter or Passover or whatever you wish to celebrate and be thankful for this week.
FA4

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 04-06-2020, 08:39 PM   #6
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal Pro View Post

The last time I picked up a new number, and this was for DDP some years back, I could only get a 424 area code. It's an overlay for 310.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Quote:
I have an opportunity and will need to change my number for privacy reasons, so I thought, why not?
Howdy. When I lived in L.A., I lived in Burbank and had an 818 Area Code. If Area Codes will get someone’s attention, methinks it’s in the order Will laid out above for you.

Here’s a map of L.A. Area Codes and a long list of the incorporated cities of Los Angeles County:

Telephone Area Codes in Los Angeles County

And here’s a list of all the incorporated cities where you might live:

List of Cities in Los Angeles County

Although the company was sold in 1998 to Rand McNally, in 2005 I had a Thomas Bros. Guide (map) of Los Angeles when I was there. It was invaluable, even though I had a cell phone map, too. These days, you only need your cell phone to get you around.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:18 PM   #7
JoeBanks

i've lived here 14 years and still have my Maryland cell number and i'm not that much of an outlier. maybe 20 years ago it would have been a thing but hardly anyone even uses phones to talk on the way that calls were important back then
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:30 PM   #8
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Howdy. When I lived in L.A., I lived in Burbank and had an 818 Area Code. If Area Codes will get someone’s attention, methinks it’s in the order Will laid out above for you.

Here’s a map of L.A. Area Codes and a long list of the incorporated cities of Los Angeles County:

Telephone Area Codes in Los Angeles County

And here’s a list of all the incorporated cities where you might live:

List of Cities in Los Angeles County

Although the company was sold in 1998 to Rand McNally, in 2005 I had a Thomas Bros. Guide (map) of Los Angeles when I was there. It was invaluable, even though I had a cell phone map, too. These days, you only need your cell phone to get you around.
Burbank and Glendale (that general area) are my choices to live, but how hot is it in the summer and for how long? Manhattan Beach if I have to be more south of LA, but ****, it's like an hour commute into LA to live somewhere safe. I lived in an area that's rated 85 on area vibes, so those are comparable. But if I have to work east of Compton, I don't see anywhere to live other than commuting north to Burbank.

Sheesh, I remember using my Rand Mcnally spiral bound map when I was just out of college. I had a cell but still used a map. haha.

Thanks for the help and the smile.
FA

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 04-06-2020, 09:33 PM   #9
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBanks View Post
i've lived here 14 years and still have my Maryland cell number and i'm not that much of an outlier. maybe 20 years ago it would have been a thing but hardly anyone even uses phones to talk on the way that calls were important back then
Yeah, it's possible I'm over thinking it. But I don't yet live in LA and have removed my address deliberately from my resume, because i don't want to be auto-excluded. I've had a company relocate me and they put up a huge expense to do it, something like $30k plus. And that was quite a while ago.

Thanks, JoeBanks, I appreciate the help.
FA4

PS: I love Maryland, so beautiful all that horse country. I was in Fredirick for a couple years then moved to outside DC in Fairfax. As pretty and New England, prettier in its own way.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 04-06-2020, 09:48 PM   #10
Friday

Quote:
Thanks, Friday.

I know the COVID-19 stuff is causing a lot of anxiety in you, but I thought of you tonight and thought this might brighten up you mood a bit, because honestly I feel the anxiety too.

I'm in Avon, Connecticut and we're been sheltering in place for our third week. There's lots of room here between houses, usually 1/2 to over an acre. Lots of bears, fox, racoon and deer just wondering in y our yard.

To show their respect for the first responders and law enforcement officers each night at 8pm everyone goes outside to their front yard and cheers for them, their bravery and their sacrifice.

But tonight, they had fireworks!!

I think I'm feelin' 310

It was amazing and uplifting and really inspiring. I hope you are doing better .and if you ever need an ear, shoot me a note. Happy Easter or Passover or whatever you wish to celebrate and be thankful for this week.
FA4

Re: 310. Good choice. Remember that Seinfeld episode where Elaine was discriminated against because she got a new undesirable area code. Same thing here. People won't say it, but they form certain impressions of certain area codes. I even remember this real estate agent once look at his phone and it was from some area code, he didn't like and he just sneered and didn't bother picking up.

Yeah, I feel like a caged tiger. Can't go out to do anything. Minimal socialization. I would kill to have some fried chicken, ice cream and pizza right now. I also miss the random friendly conversation people in LA have just bumping into each other. LA is a great foodie scene and it's all being killed. Thanks for your concern. Nice to know that you would be a good sympathetic ear. Before this pandemic happened, I was actually very hopeful. I thought it was going to be a very good year for me. Now, the entertainment industry is completely uncertain. It was already hard enough to get a career going. Who knows how hard it will be for those on the bubble, like contest placers, high blacklist scorers, etc.
Friday is online now   Reply With Quote