Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Sites, Services, Software, & Supplies
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2015, 03:55 PM   #1
gs1979
User

Default Which script reader is best for your buck?

Hi,

Wondering if you were going to pay for notes… who do you use?
I know Scriptgal is great… Any others out there worth paying for notes? Who do you recommend?

Last edited by gs1979 : 11-02-2015 at 10:51 PM.
gs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:35 PM   #2
ClintW3
Regular

Default Re: Which script reader is best for your buck?

Touch base with TitanCreed. Good notes and was very cheap. Mechanic and others are very good, but TitanCreed is the value play, imo.
ClintW3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:54 AM   #3
etwriter
New User

I highly recommend this guy ----> nick.assunto@gmail.com His notes are spot on and he has a fairly fast turnaround. His rate is crazy low, I think $25 or so, but the rate is definitely not indicative of the quality of his notes. Plus, he's a reader for a rather huge festival. I'm not going to say which one as I'm not sure if he wants that broadcast on here but if you email him he will tell you himself. Anyway, I have nothing to gain by recommending this guy, just a really good script reader who I thought should get some notice on here. Hope that helps.
etwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:36 PM   #4
Jai Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClintW3 View Post
Touch base with TitanCreed. Good notes and was very cheap. Mechanic and others are very good, but TitanCreed is the value play, imo.
I'm going to echo this... I signed up for Titan's $100 special. Usually he gets notes back to you quickly (3 days or less), but he was occupied with life, and gave me a discount on that already affordable price. And he didn't take THAT long to get the notes to me. Pages and pages of thoughtful criticism, helped to shape a much better story.
Jai Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #5
Mpimentel
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jai Brandon View Post
I'm going to echo this... I signed up for Titan's $100 special. Usually he gets notes back to you quickly (3 days or less), but he was occupied with life, and gave me a discount on that already affordable price. And he didn't take THAT long to get the notes to me. Pages and pages of thoughtful criticism, helped to shape a much better story.

I'm going to triple echo this.. titancreed@gmail.com

I've been meaning to do a big ups post for him, who along with another member of this board have helped me in moving my recent script along. Very on point and lengthy notes at an unbeatable price.

Communication was good and he doesn't even charge you until after you read his review... If that's not confidence in your work then I don't know what is.
Episode 2 (African commercial)
Episode 3 (Brenda's rescue)
Mpimentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:57 PM   #6
gs1979
User

Thank you for the info. Will def check those out.

Cheers.
gs1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:00 AM   #7
sunglider
New User

I will definitely check this out. Thanks.

I had a bad experience with a popular site (I will not mention name). My screenplay is non-linear, I started at the middle but after a dramatic war scene I mentioned in the following scene, A YEAR AGO, the reader obviously missed. She commented that my plot did not make sense and asked questions that indicated she obviously did miss the A YEAR AGO flashback.

I checked her credentials. She is very young and her short films are non-commercial art films which subject matters, plots and dialogues are very pretentious. She's from a school that is known for left-leaning activism, like if your subject is not about global warming or gender equality, it is as if they don't matter much. That made me think that there's no way she could be credible. Of course, I could be wrong. But I did feel robbed, honestly.

In fairness, she made other good points I'm taking into account for my rewrite. I just think when sites hire readers they should carefully vet, because they are like gatekeepers and it is not cheap to have your script get read. Just my opinion.
sunglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #8
evan_g
User

Script Sergeant is very good value for money. $1 per page of script. And fantastic notes. Very in depth and thoughtful.

http://www.themthorntons.com/scriptsarge/
evan_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #9
bruinwriter
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evan_g View Post
Script Sergeant is very good value for money. $1 per page of script. And fantastic notes. Very in depth and thoughtful.

http://www.themthorntons.com/scriptsarge/
I'm buddies with Jason. He's an honest, reliable human being who gives a sh*t about story and loves film more than anyone I know. Just wanted to add that.
bruinwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:10 PM   #10
Centurio

There's going to be a few different opinions on this, but for me there's no one better than Andrew Hilton (Screenplay Mechanic).

First, the numbers - Has evaluated somewhere in the neighborhood of 8000+ scripts over the past decade or so. He has more recommendations over the last five years on this board than any one else by far.

Second, the quality - Has worked in development with every major studio in Hollywood. He has a large number of working writers (at very high level) that use him on an ongoing basis. Jeff Lowell and a number of the other pros that frequent this board have recommended him. Third, he has sold and optioned a number of scripts over the past decade and currently has one, if not two, active projects with a major studio.

Third, he's approachable - He works with you. He'll happily answer questions and make suggestions after you receive your notes.

Fourth -- He gives a discount to DDP members.

The only downside is that he's usually booked at least thirty days in advance. There's a reason for that.