Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2018, 05:42 PM   #1
TigerFang

Default California Typewriter

California Typewriter is a documentary available on Hulu that examines the ever-waning supply of viable typewriters, those who repair them, and those whose interest in them is causing a resurgence in their popularity.

It boasts perfectly executed cinematography and was directed, photographed, and edited by Doug Nichol. The film was produced by John Benet and Doug Nichol.

This little gem begins with an exploration of the attraction that stars such as Tom Hanks, John Mayer, and historian David McCullough have for their typewriters as it relates to their writing. It's also a chance to see and hear Sam Shepard as he speaks about how using his typewriter was integral to how he wrote.

It segues into following one California store whose expert repairpersons, a vanishing breed, make those typewriters whole again. The film also goes on to follow Jeremy Mayer, who uses cast-off typewriters and their parts to create fantastically interesting art sculptures.

It's worth a look for those who still use and/or collect typewriters (myself included) for similar reasons as those revealed in the film's story.

Even if one doesn't use a typewriter or collect them, it's a well-crafted film and worth a look on that level alone.

Last edited by TigerFang : 01-08-2018 at 07:29 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 09:53 AM   #2
Done Deal Pro
Administrator

Default Re: California Typewriter

My wife and I went to a screening of this last September. A very good friend of mine, who is a long time friend of John Benet's, took us.

We really enjoyed the movie. After the Q&A, we met John and also Ken Alexander (repairman) and artist Jeremy Mayer, who were all there to talk about the film and/or their work with typewriters.
Done Deal Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:47 PM   #3
Darthclaw13
Regular

This is definitely one I shall have to watch. I love old typewriters and the way they sound.

I grew up playing on my grandmother's old 1940's Royal and used it right up till the late 80's/early 90's to write my high school papers.

She then got one of those 70's IBM Selectric models that had the metal ball with all the letters/numbers on it.

Ahhh, memories......
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
This is definitely one I shall have to watch. I love old typewriters and the way they sound.
Well, then, you're in for a treat. Not only is the sound of typewriters explored as one facet of this documentary's storyline with comments from many typewriter aficionados famous and not, there's also a rendition of one of the works of none other than The Boston Typewriter Orchestra.

Last edited by TigerFang : 01-08-2018 at 07:28 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:28 PM   #5
odocoileus

Can't wait to see it.