Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2020, 08:20 AM   #1
Mintclub
Regular

Default Attachments to project

I have tv project out to talent just now. Producers opted to target a select list of A-list actors before approaching directors.

Wondered if any other dd’ers had gone through the sloooow process of attachments in recent years (particularly tv) and for good or bad, if they were willing to share their experiences?
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Incognito
Regular

Default Re: Attachments to project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
I have tv project out to talent just now. Producers opted to target a select list of A-list actors before approaching directors.

Wondered if any other ddíers had gone through the sloooow process of attachments in recent years (particularly tv) and for good or bad, if they were willing to share their experiences?
It's all just brutal. Even if they eventually attach, they can unattach if some other shiny thing comes along at any stage and then you are back to square one. I've been through versions of this many times. My only way to stay sane is to have a many projects in the fire at any one time. So, as always, the 'keep writing' advice has been the best advice for me.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:35 AM   #3
KitchonaSteve
Regular

In TV, actors trump the vast majority of directors in the selling process. Known actors can secure more eyeballs than directors, and creators and showrunners are more important to networks than a director. A good package with a respected director can help get a project to pilot, but a good director without much else is useless to a network. In features a great director championing a concept or flailing project can attract good writers and actors, but I've never heard of a top flight showrunner jumping on board a project that only has a great director attached. Maybe they have, my knowledge is not encyclopedic, but the most important element of a TV show is a showrunner who can deliver shootable scripts on time, not a director.

-Steve Trautmann
3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast
KitchonaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 05:48 AM   #4
Mintclub
Regular

That’s interesting re the Showrunner. There haven’t been too many talks about adding one to the team yet. I did bring it up during the first convo with the producers, saying I’d be cool if they wanted to bring someone else aboard but the they didn’t seem too fussed about doing so. I've worked in writers rooms before on some big budget shows in the UK and am a credited writer too, so maybe that’s why they've held off for now.

I do feel like the actor element is a little like chasing shadows. With other projects I’ve had packaged (albeit mainly features) the directors seem to come back with a decision much quicker.

Last edited by Mintclub : 06-22-2020 at 09:14 AM.
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #5
Northbank
User

For the most part, actors and non-writing directors are all at home with nothing to do but read. It's a good time to try and get them attached.
Northbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #6
CthulhuRises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
Thatís interesting re the Showrunner. There havenít been too many talks about adding one to the team yet. I did bring it up during the first convo with the producers, saying Iíd be cool if they wanted to bring someone else aboard but the they didnít seem too fussed about doing so. I've worked in writers rooms before on some big budget shows in the UK and am a credited writer too, so maybe thatís why they've held off for now.

I do feel like the actor element is a little like chasing shadows. With other projects Iíve had packaged (albeit mainly features) the directors seem to come back with a decision much quicker.

Usually you don't bring a Showrunner on (unless the opportunity falls in your lap), because the studio you bring it to has a list that they like.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
docgonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CthulhuRises View Post
Usually you don't bring a Showrunner on (unless the opportunity falls in your lap), because the studio you bring it to has a list that they like.
This is true. Going through this as we speak.

As for features (mentioned above), the reason directors come back faster is because you can go to multiple directors at once. Actors want the script exclusively (you can go out to multiple actors if they're different parts.)
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote