Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2020, 01:43 PM   #111
DayJobWriter
User

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfootage View Post
I'm putting that on my list to watch out for. That's one I would mix up, too.
Eeek, me too. That's one I'd mix up... like I regularly confuse "grill" as in the backyard grill and "grille" as in covering a window or stuck on the front of a car. That mistake has been called to my attention more than once.

Maybe we should have a thread about this all of its own?
DayJobWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:04 PM   #112
jmpowell7
User

Yes, it needs a thread all its own. When I was a youngster I enjoyed perusing the Johnson-Smith novelty catalogs. If you ordered a ring, it said "State size." I thought that meant they would send me the North Carolina State size. Off topic but you are laughing.
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #113
Friday

I see "your" and "you're" mixed up a lot. Not just once but like a dozen times throughout.

We're in uncharted territory. Who knows when things resumes to "business as usual." Since a lot of Hollywood resumes around social interaction, like meeting in person, I don't know how things will work when they try to resume. Also, not sure about how the movie, TV, streaming business will be affected by the crisis after it calms down.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #114
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
I see "your" and "you're" mixed up a lot. Not just once but like a dozen times throughout.

We're in uncharted territory. Who knows when things resumes to "business as usual." Since a lot of Hollywood resumes around social interaction, like meeting in person, I don't know how things will work when they try to resume. Also, not sure about how the movie, TV, streaming business will be affected by the crisis after it calms down.
If your post is accurate, things will resume.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:34 PM   #115
JS90
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
If your post is accurate, things will resume.
Good news is that for the time bring things haven’t totally stopped either, not entirely. Can only speak from my limited POV as an assistant but meetings are still being set, scripts are still being read (although I cant speak for reps and potential new clients), and productions are still being prepped. Don’t get me wrong, things are moving at a comparatively glacial pace and tons of hardworking assistants and below the line folks are finding themselves out of work, but we’re not quite at a standstill either.
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 10:31 PM   #116
TigerFang

Can’t imagine this going on in Los Angeles, but you never know: Kentucky governor says person tested positive for virus after attending 'coronavirus party'
Old 03-25-2020, 01:06 PM   #117
Southern_land

New Zealand is now 8hrs into a month long shut down. So far we have only 205 ill and no dead from a population of a shade under 5 million. Only essential services working, everyone else discouraged from leaving their homes, Police and armed forces personal on the street maintaining order. Not a major issue for a lot of the population we we still have a strong tradition of having smaller houses on reasonable sized sections 130-140 meter houses on 1000 square meter sections. Ok there's been a lot of infill housing in the last twenty years but there a large percentage of the population with room to de-stress, breath fresh air and get a little "safe" exercise.

Movie-wise though we're ****ed. The "biggies": Avatar movies were in full production, the Lord of the Rings TV series was two weeks from kicking off. Below them were a selection of smaller and local works. Makes me wonder even if the lockdown is successful and we break the back of the virus locally when or if these will be able to fire up again. Obviously shutting an entire country down (even a small one) comes at huge cost. I'd imagine travel restrictions will be enforced for some time to come to ensure we don't have to repeat the process

Here's hoping we all beat this thing fast and the world gets back to a new normal swiftly

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:17 PM   #118
hscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
New Zealand is now 8hrs into a month long shut down. So far we have only 205 ill and no dead from a population of a shade under 5 million. Only essential services working, everyone else discouraged from leaving their homes, Police and armed forces personal on the street maintaining order. Not a major issue for a lot of the population we we still have a strong tradition of having smaller houses on reasonable sized sections 130-140 meter houses on 1000 square meter sections. Ok there's been a lot of infill housing in the last twenty years but there a large percentage of the population with room to de-stress, breath fresh air and get a little "safe" exercise.

Movie-wise though we're ****ed. The "biggies": Avatar movies were in full production, the Lord of the Rings TV series was two weeks from kicking off. Below them were a selection of smaller and local works. Makes me wonder even if the lockdown is successful and we break the back of the virus locally when or if these will be able to fire up again. Obviously shutting an entire country down (even a small one) comes at huge cost. I'd imagine travel restrictions will be enforced for some time to come to ensure we don't have to repeat the process

Here's hoping we all beat this thing fast and the world gets back to a new normal swiftly
Australia is a behind NZ due to a confused and panicked government. But despite that, we have less than 2700 cases and 'only' 11 deaths, with 11 other people in a serious condition (25M population).

Our State government (New South Wales) is threatening a full-on shutdown, but like the federal govt is reluctant to do so, mainly for economic reasons I think. Which might come back to bite them.

Our excellent universal health care system is rapidly gearing up, so hopefully it will be able to cope if cases skyrocket. Streets and public spaces have emptied in the last couple of days, which indicates most people are now taking the pandemic seriously, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:01 PM   #119
Friday

An expert that appeared on ABC News pointed out that for every 1 person that decides to stay at home, that reduces the rate by 50%, so hopefully people take this more seriously. I just don't want this to drag on forever. It hasn't been that long, but it feels like forever. I don't know if anyone's tried to buy online, but it seems like people are jacking up the prices on basic stuff. Stuff I remember being a lot cheaper seem 3 times the price.

I don't know how they are going to maintain this social distancing. I still see on the news footage of tons of people at Costco and super markets. It can't be healthy shopping there with all those people.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 11:40 PM   #120
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
An expert that appeared on ABC News pointed out that for every 1 person that decides to stay at home, that reduces the rate by 50%, so hopefully people take this more seriously.
We had a virologist on the radio saying the transmission rate for the flu is 1.4 so after ten "generations" the possible infected number is about 15, the COVID19 the transmission rate is 3, which equates to a tenth generation of about 54000. So yeah every person holed up and not transmitting is a step to preventing this super spread is vital, especially at the early stages. I'm not a supporter of our prime minister but she's done the right thing and had enough guts to stare down the business's who intended on keeping trading throughout this mess

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote