X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 'Hobo With A Shotgun' Red Band Trailer

Originally posted by dog678 View Post
    Can't wait. Looks cool.

But... doesn't look actually good at all. Seems like something I could have directed while on acid. Definite download for me though. Only Potter gets my $15 at the IMAX.
    I'M GONNA SLEEP IN YOUR BLOODY CARCASS TA-NIGHT!

Comment

Saw it. Oh dear God it is insanely violent. This is the first time I've looked away from a screen on multiple occasions. It's just absolutely ridiculous.

But I liked it. It was a fun trip into insanity.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

no thanks on par with human centipede in the taste department on this one.

Comment

Are we talking about a different trailer? The original, okay, but this is the one on the site:

Trailer

The scene with the head is too much for me, but I'd watch it for Rutger -- of course!

Comment

Terrible, just plain stupid. I know it was a parody of 70s exploitation films, but the story was so poorly constructed.

An example: they way he get's the shotgun, a big plot point in the film - he pulls it from the open shelf in a pawn shop and foils a robbery with it. They don't keep loaded weapons on the open shelf in pawn shops, come on! They should have had him turning his change in at a bank and foiling a robbery or picking up a shotgun dropped by an escaping bank robber.

There were some clever little bits here and there a newspaper heading "Hobo stops begging and demands change" for example. All in all I'm not thrilled that my tax money went to make this, at least in part.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
                All in all I'm not thrilled that my tax money went to make this, at least in part.
                I am. I love that this movie was made with Telefilm money.

HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN isn't a perfect film but it emulates the films it loves perfectly. If that makes sense. A way more authentic attempt at "grindhouse" than PLANET TERROR, DEATH PROOF, MACHETE, etc.

I hope this movie is to Jason Eisener what BAD TASTE was to Peter Jackson.

Comment

I think it looks great.

EDIT: derp
                  Last edited by Arroway; 04-09-2011, 01:02 PM.

Comment

The thing I liked about Death Proof is that it at once engaged the qualities of 70s style exploitation films and exceeded them to make a coherent, intelligent film.

Hobo with a Shotgun is so far from perfect, it's sad. Yes, it's a matter of taste and clearly it's not aimed at everyone BUT four of the eight people in the theatre where I saw this walked out.

Comment

I like DEATH PROOF (I like the 3 hour GRINDHOUSE theatrical cut more than any of its contents on their own), but especially considering the source, I think it's pretty wide of the mark as far as emulating an exploitation/"grindhouse" movie. It does feel like sort of like a 70s flick until people start talking, I guess. The verbose post-modern Tarantinoese spoken by every character also kills the mood a bit. HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN actually feels like it was dredged up from some bygone era, bad dialogue and all.

To each their own though. Most of what I like about HOBO WITH A SHOTGUN could be said about MACHETE but I didn't care for that one as much. To me HWAS felt like a great riff on movies I love like DEATH WISH 3 and VIGILANTE, done by someone who loves those movies even more than I do. Kid's got heart.

Comment

Originally posted by UltraSuperMegaMo View Post
                        Terrible, just plain stupid. I know it was a parody of 70s exploitation films, but the story was so poorly constructed.
                        Well, yeah, the strangest thing about it was the tone. Am I supposed to laugh at the line, "You can't solve all the world's problems with a shotgun."? I don't know, but I did. I loved every cheesy line and over-the-top character, and it all felt intentional to me.

I have to disagree that the story was poorly constructed. Sure, the shotgun thing was a bit too convenient, but I didn't consider it a structural flaw. In fact, I thought it pretty much followed the 3-act structure completely. And in fun, interesting ways I didn't expect.

But that amount of gore was definitely alienating. I'm not sure that showing it all so vividly added more to the experience than it took away, but I did admire its gigantic balls.

Comment

Saw this over the weekend and really enjoyed it. As someone mentioned it is very violent in places, some tough scenes no doubt to watch, but it is enjoyable as hell. Great to see Rutger back in something decent as well.

EJ

Comment

I just watched it recently, as well.

This is the movie Machete should have been. Just violent fun in the way that Planet Terror was just violent fun. A little bit of plot, but not too much that it starts to come off as a real story in a real movie. That's what Machete tried to do and it failed. It ended up being a serious film with incredibly non-serious moments that felt waaaaay out of place in the serious context.

But Hobo did it right...just have fun.

Comment

It's also great to see Stanley Tweedle get work after that whole mess with His Divine Shadow

Comment

Working...
                              X