No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Latest Writer's Store/Insider 15 page Contest

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
    Thanks. I just needed a day to feel bitter and sorry for myself before shaking it off and moving forward. I wrote my first screenplay in February, so I guess it is progress to have made it this far in that amount of time. But that was the main reason I wanted to advance in this contest - I really wanted that mentorship program. Oh well. Maybe a couple of the finalists will meet with mysterious accidents. Don't mind me as I walk away whistling innocently...
    Yeah, you don't want to become the villain in your own Hitchcock movie, bmcthomas! However, it does seem to me that by being honorably mentioned you are in an alternate position, and may well end up one of the finalists, and doing the mentorship program, if the fates decree.

Congrats by the way, especially since you just wrote your first script recently. Looks like you are on the right track in your writing :>)

Comment

Originally posted by bmcthomas View Post
      The list is up.

http://www.writersstore.com/industry...usannah-grant/

I'm a runner up. Which actually feels worse than if I had not been on the list at all. SO CLOSE.
      You should be pleased, not bummed! Slowly making your way up the ranks in contests demonstrates you're on the right track with your writing: think of the dozens of people who enter contests year after year and never place..
      "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay attention to their limitations again." -[/SIZE] James R. Cook

Comment

Hi guys, just had my first mentoring session last week, and thought I'd post some feedback on the process.

First of all my mentor's pretty awesome. He made it clear that his job is to help guide me to the best version of my story, rather than try to guide me according to how he would write the story.

I liked this contest just because I don't really have much of a writers community around me, so getting feedback every ten pages might help me spot mistakes as I make them, rather than just in rewrites.

Themes important too - it's going to guide the story and the decisions each character makes. It'll actually help at points where I've lost the thread or don't know what the next step is.

It's interesting because I usually go through that process by simply asking what's the next logical step - but now I'm going to make sure that those steps are in line with whatever the theme is.

It felt a little prescriptive at first because it's making me second guess some of the plot - I might choose something because it seems like the coolest next step, but i realized if it doesn't reinforce my theme, that could catch up with me at some point.

Also it was curious to see what parts of my writing style come across well, and what parts made things confusing. Some things that I thought were clear turned out not to be, so that's invaluable in and of itself.

So far a great experience, and the staff and the person running the contest are friendly and very helpful.

If anyone has questions just post them here or PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
          Hi guys, just had my first mentoring session last week, and thought I'd post some feedback on the process.
          Congrats, man! Win this thing
          FADE IN:
          PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
          NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
            Congrats, man! Win this thing
            Thanks Jai. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

Anagram, I will put aside my seething jealousy and wish you the best in this contest. Which of the finalists are you?

Comment

Thanks bmcthomas. It's not my first rodeo and I've had my share of not getting it right in contests, so just keep at it. You could also post your 15 pages and get some feedback.

I'd rather not give my name just because I like to keep that private.
                Last edited by Anagram; 11-25-2012, 01:50 AM.

Comment

Congrats Anagram! Nice to hear! Keep it up!

Comment

Well done, Anagram. I have yet to enter one of these 15-pagers, but you make it sound worthwhile. Do you meet the mentors and staff in person, or talk over the phone, or is everything done by email?

Comment

Thanks specman, citybrave.

You can have your session either in person, over the phone or on Skype, depending on what's best for you.

Comment

Congrats, Anagram! Sounds like you're going to enjoy the process. Hope you win :>)

Comment

Congrats! Sounds like a fun experience. Even if you don't win, it was very valuable time spent. I'm going to keep entering this thing because what you get as a finalist is so unique.

Comment

Thanks guys.

I'm hoping for the best but the competition looks fierce.

Comment

Originally posted by Anagram View Post
                              Thanks guys.

I'm hoping for the best but the competition looks fierce.
                              No "buts." The first step to accomplishing something great is BELIEVING you can accomplish something great. If you believe, you can achieve. Erase all doubts. The confidence will come across in your work.
                              FADE IN:
                              PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
                              NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
                                No "buts." The first step to accomplishing something great is BELIEVING you can accomplish something great. If you believe, you can achieve. Erase all doubts. The confidence will come across in your work.
                                Thanks Jai.

Just wanted to post another interesting thing I learned. The pages got chosen as much for the concept as for the style of writing.

They liked how I wrote the pages, and that was a big part of why they chose them.
                                Last edited by Anagram; 12-13-2012, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X