Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about police leave

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

I've been working on a screenplay and, to make it more plausible, I'm wondering if a policeman/detective who witnesses a colleague die is given some kind of leave to recover from any trauma?

The script's set in the American south, but I'm interested in this in general, so I'd appreciate answers pertaining to police from any part of the world, but especially Louisiana.
    Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Re: A question about police leave

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
    Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place to post this.

I've been working on a screenplay and, to make it more plausible, I'm wondering if a policeman/detective who witnesses a colleague die is given some kind of leave to recover from any trauma?

The script's set in the American south, but I'm interested in this in general, so I'd appreciate answers pertaining to police from any part of the world, but especially Louisiana.
    Question should be in "research" but to answer your question, sure, it's plausible. Probably wouldn't be a compelled administrative leave (depending on agency and circumstance), as would be the case with an officer-involved shooting.

Comment

Thanks.
      I really couldn't find anything to do with suggested or forced leave, and whether or not it would be full or reduced pay, but I got around it all anyway.

Your avatar: Infernal Affairs?
      Cufk, Tish, Sips.

Comment

A possible resource is, for example, The Chicago Police Department Directives System. It seems to cover everything imaginable.

Comment

Plausible!? Hell no - just have the Chief issue your bereaved cop with a bigger gun and tell him he's got 48 hours to "Deal with it.".
          Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
          "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Grandmaster View Post
            Your avatar: Infernal Affairs?
            Indeed! Great movie.

Comment

I passed your question on to a friend who works for a sheriff's department - here's his reply:

These days most departments are big on post-event debriefs. Chaplains are present and everyone involved in a traumatic incident is invited to attend. Peer Support people are also there and available to help. Counseling is referred, etc. Staff is told to take care of themselves and each other, etc.

People involved in an incident as witnesses may be encourage to take time off. They could even be given Administrative Time Off, meaning the time doesn't come from their personal leave balances.

Because the loss of an officer is taken so hard, I imagine any fellow officer witnessing their death would be strongly encouraged to take time off if they didn't already request it. Officers directly involved in an incident in which an officer died in a shooting would get Admin. Leave for the requisite time while they investigate the shooting, as well.

Hope that helps.
              Patrick Sweeney

Comment

Working...
              X