Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manager or Agent First?

Hi - I am new at this business but have already had two producers attempt to steal my stories. I am seeking the collaboration of an Oscar winning or Oscar Worthy scriptwriter for 2 ridiculously cool films. One is historically important, particularly in light of our current joke of a President, and the other is simply the coolest man that ever lived. Both films are completely original, and I have rights and particpation of the families. So I am approaching my Dream List of Producers and/or scriptwriters, but no one will look at treatments unless they are introduced by an agent. So do I attempt to get an agent first or a manager? I have already registered both treatments with the WGA, after the attempted rape of a Hollywood Virgin, and I swear that my days on Wall Street dealing with junk bonds (and handing the icky current #notmypresident his bankruptcy papers after he tried to pick me up at a nightclub) are a pillar of honor compared to previously mentioned encounters in Hollywood. I give excellent phone, and people who have offered 20 minutes have ended up enjoying these stories for 2-4 hours. So this forum appears to be an insider's treasure trove of how to maneuver this process, and any scriptwriter who can deliver me to my Dream List should give me a call. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can send my way - I am documenting the entire process of getting these two projects to screen. The attempted theft of my masterpieces has given me nothing but strength and resolve that I am sitting on sheer brilliance and my Dead Men Talking deserve perfect scripts, and perfectly told stories. Thank you, JP - aka Hollywood Virgin

Re: Manager or Agent First?

Originally posted by Hollywood Virgin View Post
    Hi - I am new at this business but have already had two producers attempt to steal my stories. I am seeking the collaboration of an Oscar winning or Oscar Worthy scriptwriter for 2 ridiculously cool films. One is historically important, particularly in light of our current joke of a President, and the other is simply the coolest man that ever lived. Both films are completely original, and I have rights and particpation of the families. So I am approaching my Dream List of Producers and/or scriptwriters, but no one will look at treatments unless they are introduced by an agent. So do I attempt to get an agent first or a manager? I have already registered both treatments with the WGA, after the attempted rape of a Hollywood Virgin, and I swear that my days on Wall Street dealing with junk bonds (and handing the icky current #notmypresident his bankruptcy papers after he tried to pick me up at a nightclub) are a pillar of honor compared to previously mentioned encounters in Hollywood. I give excellent phone, and people who have offered 20 minutes have ended up enjoying these stories for 2-4 hours. So this forum appears to be an insider's treasure trove of how to maneuver this process, and any scriptwriter who can deliver me to my Dream List should give me a call. Thank you in advance for any guidance you can send my way - I am documenting the entire process of getting these two projects to screen. The attempted theft of my masterpieces has given me nothing but strength and resolve that I am sitting on sheer brilliance and my Dead Men Talking deserve perfect scripts, and perfectly told stories. Thank you, JP - aka Hollywood Virgin
    In your case, I'd suggest accepting your Oscars and all your other awards first, then working your way back to getting an agent and a manager.
    "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Since you have the rights secured, I would suggest engaging an entertainment attorney who would be able to approach those writers, producers, and directors on your wishlist either directly or through their reps. With rights to IP you shouldn't have a problem finding a good lawyer to rep your projects.

Best of luck.
      Just my 2 cents, your mileage may vary.

-Steve Trautmann
      3rd & Fairfax: The WGAW Podcast

Comment

Ha ha.

Comment

Comment

Ken Levine, you're not fooling us

Comment

Wow. Just wow.

Comment

A couple bits of advice.

Everyone in Hollywood (or for that matter your local Starbucks) thinks they have the next Academy Award winning script. So I'd pump the brakes a bit on that front.

Also, never use the phrase "I give good phone"... sounds really creepy.

Spend a couple bucks and try Virtualpitchfest.com and see what kind of response you get. Then again, no one will probably touch you without a script written.

Ron

Comment

A person who has never consumed alcohol can attend an AA meeting and take possession of a six-month chip to strong applause.
                  A healthy person can rush into an emergency room complaining of terrible problems.
                  And this. They all want the same thing.

Comment

Hi - I am new at this business ...
                    That's hard to believe, but you'll find managers more willing than agents to entertain people who give good phone. There are a lot of people on this board who have real experience in the industry and may be able to offer advice with specific queries. However I should advise that this might not be the best place to identify Oscar-winning writers willing to collaborate with you at such short notice and that line of inquiry might be better directed within the main Hollywood studios.
                    "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

In this case it appears you are using the term 'collaborate' to mean you want someone to write a script for you but you either don't want to pay them or more likely, can't afford to pay them.

In terms of Oscar winning/worthy writers, they get paid to write scripts. It's a necessary part of the 'collaborative' movie making process.

Let's say you have a great idea for building a house. And you share your great idea with the professionals who are actually capable of building the house, you still have to pay them to build it. Calling it a 'collaboration' because you shared your great idea, will not get your house built for free.

Another thing to keep in mind, 'ideas' cannot be copyrighted. That means, if you come up with a great idea, and someone else writes it, the person who wrote it, owns the copyright on the script and you own nothing...unless of course you hire/pay them to write the script for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X