Best Screenwriting Course on DVDs & Audio CDs?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Screenwriting Course on DVDs & Audio CDs?

I have DVD of Syd Field's "Screenwriting Workshop" and Audio CD of Robert Mckee's "Story".

Can you suggest me best titles for Screenwriting from John Truby, Michael Hauge, Christopher Vogler, Robert Mckee Workshops, William Martell, Blake Snyder, Linda Segar, Lew Hunter, Karl Iglesias, Joseph Campbell, David Mamet, Richard Walter, Hal Ackerman, Paul Gulino, Cynthiya Wheatcomb, Jeff Kitchen etc?

There are varoius titles available on Creative Screenwriting Expo and individual gurus' websites.

Which DVDs and Audio CDs helped you a lot in Screenwriting process from story idea - theme - characters - structure - outlines - sequences - scenes to final draft?
    Last edited by kurushdeboo; 12-05-2010, 11:54 AM. Reason: Additional Names

Re: Best Screenwriting Course on DVDs & Audio CDs?

I like Chris Soth's Mini-Movie method (sequencing).

Arndt has a great watch on Openings (act 1) on the TOY STORY 3 BluRay DVD set. Only available on that.
    "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks C.C. Baxter. I will consider your recommendation. Can you suggest any DVD from above screenwriting gurus which I want to know the review before purchase? No reviews are available on on Amazon for workshop, seminars, lectures on CD Audio and DVDs. Thanks.

Comment

So far I'm liking Truby for the simple fact that whereas he gives you a generic story overview option -- he ALSO has story seminars which tie into - specific - genres. I'm listening to the Detective / Crime / Thriller series at the moment. It's already given me several beats that I - NEVER - would've thought of and it's a great way to at least know I've covered all the basics. Then of course you need surmount the challenge of taking these well-rutted genre beats that - every one - else used and transcending them with character and story. (... and I hope I've done that!) So if for e.g., you were working on a "Love Story" genre -- yeah, there's an app for that with sample .mp3 to try b4 yuh buy.

I'll post an update when I've navigated through all - 22 (!) - chapters which can be nicely downloaded online....

http://www.truby.com/trubyscreenwritingclasses.html

Comment

Originally posted by kurushdeboo View Post
          Thanks C.C. Baxter. I will consider your recommendation. Can you suggest any DVD from above screenwriting gurus which I want to know the review before purchase? No reviews are available on on Amazon for workshop, seminars, lectures on CD Audio and DVDs. Thanks.
          The Screenwriting Expo videos are good. Michael Hague, Richard Walter. The DIALOGUE dvds are excellent, too, but possibly a bit advance.

Soth has an online mentorship. You get his eBook and DVDs when you sign up. If it's not helping you, you can drop out of the mentorship. Sure the one-on-one where he lays out the sequences/mini-movies for your script would be of great help. Getting feedback on your premise and your treatment = good ways of saving a ton of rewriting time.

There are UCLA online courses and Gotham. Those are more 'self guided' courses.

Good luck!
          "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

I found Bill Martel's CDs very helpful. And I'm not just saying that because he's a regular here. They're pretty no nonsense. I mostly got the genre CDs and he does a good job of breaking down how each genre works.
            Nobody's perfect.

Comment

Thnanks a lot to YakMan, C.C.Baxter and JRS3.

I have already checked John Truby and William Martelll's Websites. Why do they stick to very old years Audio Courses than more effective medium Video Courses (except one DVD option: "Great Screenwriting" from John Truby)? Look at Creative Screenwriting Expo which has DVD Medium for all seminars / lectures / workshops. They have lots of DVDs which are difficult to choose. Please let me know if you really liked the best one.

And one more request to Mr. William Martell: please "REPRINT" YOUR LAST EDITION of The Secret of Action Screenwriting. We are waiting for your new Edition since 2006. If you are very busy in your professional career just give us the chance to read your last Edition. Your book is costing @ US $190 on Amazon from other buyers. What about E-book PDF Kindle Download from your website? Just a request to read your book. Can't wait anymore. When will you release your CD Audio of Secret of Action Screenwriting (Coming soon as per your website)?

Comment

Bill Martell's audio cds - the genre ones are excellent. I'm very happy with my purchase.

I'd love to purchase a copy of The Secrets of Action Screenwriting when it gets reprinted.

Comment

Thanks. I am working on the Action Book rewrite... but also have a sale that's about to close and will start the rewrite process and family script I'm trying to get finished so the producer will quit calling to ask if it's finished yet. Action Book *will* be back in print soon.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Working...
                  X