X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SCRIPTSHADOW- Thread 2

Originally posted by Twofingeredtypist View Post
    Read the blog occasionally, but never commented or read the comments. It'll be interesting to see where this change of gears takes him.

I liked the amateur script of the year post. Would be lovely if those writers gain reads from it -- with no strings.

Thank you @Scriptshadow for the placement of @lovinbrooklyn on ur Hitlist. I was contacted by some Major players this week!
    He made NR. 7.

Comment

Originally posted by emily blake View Post
      My comment two days ago was not approved. He approved comments that made his detractors sound like angry lunatics, but not mine, which I carefully crafted to be polite and logical - more expressive of my disappointment than anything else.
      I take offense to this. I think I came across as a rather even-tempered lunatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
        He made NR. 7.
        I hope it works out for them. I'm sure Carson will be the first to let us know!
        @MacBullitt

Comment

Originally posted by lordmanji View Post
          With SS now announcing that he will refrain considerably from reviewing new specs, I think what's been missing is thanks to those who have been most vocally calling for this change, excuse me if I leave off anyone: John Gary, bitter script reader, Michael botti, Brian scully, Emily Blake and more. This benefits all screenwriters, even if they can't see it yet.
          As one of the above mentioned, I was very satisfied to see Carson state his intentions for change. I think what Phase 2 of ScirptShadow will become remains to be seen, and for that reason, I don't think anyone should be calling this a victory just yet.

As has been said before, if he truly focuses his insight onto amateur scripts and released films, I don't think anyone will have any issue with him. That said, his own post still seems to demonstrate a basic lack of understanding of the reasons why people took exception to him. (Or at least, a denial that those issues had any merit.) So I'm not ready to fully credit him with learning anything beyond, "Okay, these guys are making it too hard for me to continue on."

So my approval of his stated plans is tempered by my feeling he didn't really use this as an opportunity to grow - or to educate the many angry members of his flock. It was a little shocking to see those members turn on Karlosd, someone who I had believed was a member of the Scriptshadow family over there. (In a way, that made me understand part of Carson's desire to spin things the way he did - he doesn't what THOSE guys calling for his head too.)

I guess what I'm saying is, let's wait and see how this shakes out. The site's in a transition phase, so let's neither condemn nor celebrate what hasn't happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by dietgreentea View Post
            I take offense to this. I think I came across as a rather even-tempered lunatic.
            I lol'd.
            Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

Howie:

Sorry that you felt threatened and intimidated by my offer to read your script, give you notes, and pass it on to two partners at UTA and 360. (Yes, the deal was that if I didn't like it, I would post my negative review publicly, like Eads was in the habit of doing.)

I can see how much it upset you - months later, you're bringing it up to score points in a debate, even though I chose not to post my review.

I'll try to remember not to subject anyone else to that horror.

Comment

Jeff - Forum bully.

This place wouldn't be the same without him.

Comment

Originally posted by Howie428 View Post
                  Your offer, which I thank you for and greatly appreciate the comments I got from, followed my making some points in this debate. I think it's fair to characterize it as a "put up or shut up- offer, and other peoples' comments around it suggest they saw it that way also.

I was able to "put up- because I had to hand a screenplay with some credibility, but it was an offer that most amateur screenwriters, including me until a couple of years ago, would have been wise to turn down.

I haven't got a problem with you making that kind of offer. You've earned your status and you can use it to support your viewpoint. However, it's not reasonable to think that the strident assertions of high profile members here do not cause others to avoid disagreeing with you.
                  I Lol'd at this post. Lord knows I've locked horns with Lowell in the past so this is not from someone who avoids disagreeing with him.

Seriously? Put up or shut up? I didn't see it like that at all. And you're leaving out a big part of that event-- he never posted his review of your script. He left it up to you to post it (and you did not). Which is a courtesy Scriptshadow failed to offer writers he reviewed. Without permission.

Tell me, the notes Lowell gave you, you think they're worth more than what Carson charges?
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Wait, Lowell was giving free notes? Jeff, can I have some please?
                    Introduce a little anarchy.

Comment

Chief...you're not American, are you?
                      The best way out is always through. - Robert Frost

Comment

LOL Again. I didn't see Jeff's post because I was responding to Howie's on the previous page. Of course, the timing will go as more proof to support Howie's intimidation theory. By the way, Howie -- would you still feel intimidated if Jeff had referred you to his reps?
                        Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Chief View Post
                          Jeff - Forum bully.

This place wouldn't be the same without him.
                          It's funny. I went back to look at that thread with Howie, and the first thing I noticed was you begging me for a read.

That's why you shouldn't be a prat, Chief.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Vergerus View Post
                            Actually, that's not true. If you have any account supported by Disqus, your comment goes up straightaway. I've seen plenty of critics in the comments section (back in the day when I would read Scriptshadow from time to time, although mostly I just went there for the script links).
                            I've argued a few points in the past as a non Disqus member, constructively, and had them not approved.

Comment

Originally posted by zenplato View Post
                              Chief...you're not American, are you?
                              Why?

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                              It's funny. I went back to look at that thread with Howie, and the first thing I noticed was you begging me for a read.

That's why you shouldn't be a prat, Chief.
                              I didn't beg. I thought it was an open challenge, I accepted then you said it was just for Howie.

You should know your place. Look at Craig, John, Derek, see how humble they are. And they wrote scripts like Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, Hangover II, Wanted.

Get back to writing Over Her Dead Body II.

And I know ^ will sound very harsh to some people reading it, but this guy continually provokes me. Don't worry, I've called the whaaambulance.

Comment

My god. Talk about shitting where you eat...

Comment

Working...
                                X