Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Script

Hello everyone I have been a longtime reader of this forum and fell in love with it. I come here to read post because I don't really have friends interested in the business like me.
    I am currently 17 years old and I created a TV show and it in turn has lead to me getting an agent and attention from companies. I know I am young and I admire anyone who has been chasing their dreams in this hectic business. Many networks have told my agent and I that they are interested but I will not be allowed to get any deals until I turn 18 in September they said I'm too young to sign a binding contract here is my dilemma though I am currently set to enroll in film school in the summer and I am not interested in running day to day operations on the show right now. I much rather be a supervising producer until I finish school but my agent insists that I write 5 more episodes even though I already have the outline for the entire season done. Should I do this?
    P.S. I am a member of the WGA.

Re: Selling Script

I'm a little confused.

We can't really advise you unless we have a good understanding of what the options before you are, and this post feels dashed off enough that it's hard to say one way or the other.

Also, how did you become a member of the WGA if you haven't signed any contracts?

If the questions before you are: "go to film school" or "be a part of the show" there are a lot of followup questions (what film school? tell us about the show) but I would gravitate towards doing the show. You'll almost certainly learn more. You can always go to film school in a year.

Comment

The script is registered with the WGA East and my options are going to film school here in Georgia or moving out to LA my agent tells me he can have me lined up with an apartment. I feel like film school will give me a chance to hone my craft while also being around several great places to intern here in Atlanta. The show is an hour long drama it can be compared to The Following or Stalker.

Comment

Registering a script with the WGA is not the same thing as being a WGA member. Now, if you have a WGA agent then congratulations. You sound like a blowhard and your post makes me want to kill myself, but congratulations on your incredible-sounding luck so far.

Comment

I honestly apologize if that's how I'm sounding. I was just lucky enough to have resources at this stage.

Comment

Originally posted by cluuthagawd View Post
            I honestly apologize if that's how I'm sounding. I was just lucky enough to have resources at this stage.
            I know you have resources. If you didn't, you wouldn't be here. I have nothing against you, I just feel bad about myself due to my own inability to cope I guess. The worst advice I ever heard: "You have to let it kill you." YOU don't have to let it kill you. YOU have already gotten somewhere.

I'd say that film school is up to you, but it can wait. Writing those episodes probably won't get in the way of your daily life too much. It's the equivalent of writing 3 sequels. Easy.

Comment

Okay.

Here's the thing:

If you take the attitude that, "I'm a student, I'm here to learn," you will probably learn far more from being in LA with your show (if it goes) than you will being in film school in Georgia. That's a unique opportunity in the way film school isn't. Film school will still be there in a year if the show doesn't go.

I'm generally pro-school, but you might (emphasis might!) be in a really unique position which is much more favorable.

That being said, here are some realities of the business:

Far, far more shows are bought than make it on the air. And far, far more shows get "interest" from studios and networks than are actually bought by them. Without a contract in hand, a bunch of studios saying they're interested in your show doesn't mean anything. Unfortunately, "we love this, we might want to buy it in six months" means very little.

Even if the people are being honest, their tastes and slates change. Personnel turn over. The thing that is hot and exciting in February is old news in September.

Also, tell us about your agent. (If you want to PM me his name and company, go ahead). I'm a little wary about one piece of advice he's giving you - that is, writing five more episodes. It feels a little off. Generally an inexperienced writer who creates a pilot is paired with a more experienced show runner, and the pilot is going to go through substantial development by the studio and network. The show is going to chance between now and episode two, sometimes a ton, but generally enough that writing more episodes now is not likely to be terribly productive. I could be wrong about that applying to this situation but it just feels weird to me - I know a bunch of people who have sold shows and none of them have been asked to write multiple episodes prior to the show actually going.

Comment

Hello everyone I have been a longtime reader of this forum and fell in love with it. I come here to read post because I don't really have friends interested in the business like me.
                I am currently 17 years old and I created a TV show and it in turn has lead to me getting an agent and attention from companies. I know I am young and I admire anyone who has been chasing their dreams in this hectic business. Many networks have told my agent and I that they are interested but I will not be allowed to get any deals until I turn 18 in September they said I'm too young to sign a binding contract here is my dilemma though I am currently set to enroll in film school in the summer and I am not interested in running day to day operations on the show right now. I much rather be a supervising producer until I finish school but my agent insists that I write 5 more episodes even though I already have the outline for the entire season done. Should I do this?
                I'm sorry but this sounds extremely far fetched. If you are 17 and you really have written a pilot that has people interested, there are ways to sell it with your legal guardian involved, I'm sure. Hard to field this one because it sounds so improbable, to the extent that it sounds like perhaps you are being scammed by someone claiming to be an "agent."

Comment

Kid actors, athletes, whatever, don't wait until 18 to work. There's a ton of this story missing or made up.

Comment

I'm still not clear if you actually sold something to become a WGA member, or just registered a script with the WGA?
                    Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
                      Kid actors, athletes, whatever, don't wait until 18 to work. There's a ton of this story missing or made up.
                      True.

Lots of kids work as actors before age 18. No reason why writing should be different.

Not just that, plenty of 16 year old actors become emancipated so they're no longer under the restrictions for kids on working hours and school attendance.
                      If you really like it you can have the rights
                      It could make a million for you overnight

Comment

I am not interested in running day to day operations on the show right now. I much rather be a supervising producer until I finish school but my agent insists that I write 5 more episodes even though I already have the outline for the entire season done. Should I do this?
                        From this, it sounds like your question is "Should I write 5 more episodes and be show-runner... or go to school and take a lesser producer position?"

I have a hard time believing those choices are on the table. Maybe if you were a youtube sensation who was pitching a digital series, but for a 1-hr drama in the scope of The Following or Stalker? I just don't see it.

To take your dilemma at face value, I only see three possible explanations:

1. You're a visionary talent whom the town is excited about and desperate to work with... but they can't find a way around the fact that you won't turn 18 for six more months.
                        2. You've misunderstood what your agent has been saying.
                        3. You're being scammed.

Without knowing more about the details of your situation, let me just make one point with regards to #3 -
                        No matter what your agent or anyone else promises you, DO NOT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY. Let me repeat - DO NOT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY.

Comment

A lot of good points in this thread are being made by people within the industry. There are several things raising red flags in this post, so you need to make sure you're protecting yourself.

"I created a TV show" - I assume you wrote an original pilot that got you representation and some interest. How did you get your agent? Which agency are they with? Any agent worth their salt will find you an entertainment lawyer who will get around the under 18 issue.

"Many networks have told my agent and I that they are interested" - Have you actually heard this from executives over the phone or has it all gone through the agent? If it's the latter, I'm concerned about who this agent is.

"sign a binding contract" - See above, but any real agent out of their depth on child labor laws should be putting you in touch with an attorney who can protect you.

"but my agent insists that I write 5 more episodes" - Did he/she say why?

I'm only asking the questions because we want to protect you. There are people at the fringe of this industry who will lie, cheat, and steal to get what they want from inexperienced writers, directors, actors, etc. Any information you can provide us would be helpful.
                          "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                            1. You're a visionary talent whom the town is excited about and desperate to work with... but they can't find a way around the fact that you won't turn 18 for six more months.
                            2. You've misunderstood what your agent has been saying.
                            3. You're being scammed.
                            Possibility 4 is that he's trolling us. But I always try to approach these situations that raise red flags as if it is all on the up-and-up. But that's also why I asked for the agent's name.

That being said:

No matter what your agent or anyone else promises you, DO NOT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY. Let me repeat - DO NOT GIVE ANYONE ANY MONEY.
                            This. This. This.

Comment

I am with the Talent Source Agency in Savannah I'll PM the agents name if you want. Lol I know it sounds to good to be true but basically I sent them the pilot script and they say they usually wont accept scripts for series unless it's 6 episodes done but they offered me representation and I thought it was suspect at first also but I saw they were a signatory so I figured it was okay. Also I had a family member who is employed by TNT which is based here in GA. That allowed me to be around there offices a lot. I first managed to get a web series idea to them that I thought could be changed to an half hour episodic series through an assistant they passed but referred me to multiple agencies they also told me to keep in contact for future projects. The agents they refereed me too were all based in LA and I had phone calls with them but I thought Talent Source would be perfect since the commute is easier than flying back and forth to LA.

And yes the script is registered by the WGA. Lol I know not to pay for any services although I did pay a lawyer to sit in the first meeting I had with my agent at Talent Source.

Comment

Working...
                              X