No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next steps on The Black List?

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
    It's easier to give someone a refund than to fight them.

If more than half of professional readers can't understand your script, look inwards.
    Agreed 100% on that.

It may be the very concept of the script itself is flawed, and in that case the writer is best junking the script itself. In these cases better to write new material and push it forward.
    Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Originally posted by NYNEX View Post
      Agreed 100% on that.

It may be the very concept of the script itself is flawed, and in that case the writer is best junking the script itself. In these cases better to write new material and push it forward.
      I also agree. I honestly believe it's healthy for a writer to just always blame themselves. Adopt a mindset that even an idiot's criticism should at least be addressed during one rewrite. Otherwise, you risk creating a filter that will block constructive feedback.

That said, The Black List is a fairly small sample size, so if two of four people had issues figuring out the plot, I wouldn't panic. There's also the issue that The Black List readers are, from what I understand, paid per-script. As a result, they have no incentive to slow down and read a confusing project. Also consider the aforementioned rate. If they make 25 dollars per-script and spend two hours reading your material and an hour doing coverage, that's below California's minimum wage.

When I do coverage, I always provide a one-page summary. I've had some writers tell me, "I don't need the summary. I know what's in the script." I tell them, "Yeah, but you don't know that *I* know what's in the script. Someday, you'll wish another reader gave a summary as well."

I once had a script where the main character's name was Rin. It was said over 250 times on the page. The reader consistently called her "Ri," which was just one of many errors. I even double checked to make sure I didn't initially type the name wrong (I didn't). Sometimes these things happen. I found it pretty hilarious, honestly. They gave me a rewrite and a free month of hosting, so it all worked out.

Can we all pay to send a gift basket to Kate? Her job revolves around dealing with complaining writers. The woman deserves a hug, at least.

I am a critic first and a writer second.

I have a background in development and currently provide low-cost coverage.

More info here: www.FourStarNotes.com

Comment

Does every Blacklist thread have to turn into a debate over ratings? Thanks to those who replied to my original questions.

Comment

Originally posted by slupo View Post
          Does every Blacklist thread have to turn into a debate over ratings? Thanks to those who replied to my original questions.
          Yes it does, but I'll try and answer your original question, too. I'll tell you what I did under the same circumstances. I got an 8. Then a 7. And the same comments from both on a problem they had with the protagonist. I left the original script up while I did a quick rewrite to address their legitimate concerns. Then I replaced the original with the revised script and ordered another review. Got an 8 again and no complaint about the protagonist. It did make the script better and I didn't have to take it down.

Comment

Same here. The highest I got was a 7, then I tweaked then got the 8. When I order an eval, that's when my clock starts and I'm ultra critical of the script. Before the reader download, I've already revised/replaced the script about 20-25 times. So basically I'm camped out on the REVISE page. The pressure to make it the best you can before the reader actually downloads is crazy exhilarating.

Comment

Originally posted by BillWilliams12345 View Post
              If four out of seven professional readers can't make sense of your script, it might not be them.
              Let me break down why they were retracted. Eval #1) The reader stated the wrong date of the script (Franklin URGED ME to report it).

Eval #2) The reader stated that the name of an organization was mentioned once, then never again. In reality, it was mentioned on page 1, and then SEVENTY-NINE MORE TIMES AFTER THAT (I did ctrl+f in Final Draft).

Evals #3) and #4) Readers mis-stated who the victims were in their loglines -- Imagine someone reading the Star Wars script, then writing the logline: "With the Sand People on their last legs, a young farm boy..."

These were large and obvious problems.

Note: I had no qualms with the replacement reads.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

when you guys talk about 7s and 8s, are you talking about component scores or overall scores? I thought less than 5% of scripts up there had received an overall 8.

Comment

Originally posted by toddsparrow View Post
                  when you guys talk about 7s and 8s, are you talking about component scores or overall scores? I thought less than 5% of scripts up there had received an overall 8.
                  Overall. And an equally low percentage lead to something.
                  I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                    Overall. And an equally low percentage lead to something.
                    Okay thanks. So that 5% stat is regarded as correct?

Comment

Originally posted by toddsparrow View Post
                      Okay thanks. So that 5% stat is regarded as correct?
                      Yes.

I've been reading a lot of reviews of other people's screenplays, obviously to compare them to mine, but also to see if there's any kind of general consensus on anything.

One thing I've noticed is that a majority of scripts (at least in my narrow sample) with overall 8's have some kind comment embedded along the lines of "this would make a great indie feature" or "this might be best suited for a VOD original"

So it's great to have a positive validation of your work, but I'll bet you'd get more traction from a high concept studio film that got a 6.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                        Yes.

I've been reading a lot of reviews of other people's screenplays, obviously to compare them to mine, but also to see if there's any kind of general consensus on anything.

One thing I've noticed is that a majority of scripts (at least in my narrow sample) with overall 8's have some kind comment embedded along the lines of "this would make a great indie feature" or "this might be best suited for a VOD original"

So it's great to have a positive validation of your work, but I'll bet you'd get more traction from a high concept studio film that got a 6.
                        No you won't get more traction from a high concept studio film with a 6. Why? Because studios aren't buying films from the Blacklist site. Have you been looking at what the studios are making? It's not specs, that's for sure. An exception here and there isn't the norm either and most all of those exceptions come from established sources.

Overall, the only specs getting made are the ones independent producers are making. And those are mostly 5 million and under budgets. That's the state of what's real right now. Of the 6 produced films I've had in the last few years, all have been 5 million or under. The one that just got made was 3.5 million. And the 4 more I have in various stages now, only one is over 10 million and that's the one I'm betting won't get made.

I have gotten overall 8's on the Blacklist. I have optioned something through the Blacklist. It did work for me. But it was a big independent company. Not a studio or one that has a studio deal.

This is the hardest form of the writing business to break into. By far. There are thousands and thousands and thousands of scripts out there and less than 500 distributed films are made each year. That includes cable TV films. Doesn't mean you can't break in. People do. I did. But most do it now writing smaller budgeted films with great stories. Or smaller budgeted horror or thrillers with a good hook. The studios/production companies who can finance big budget scripts can be counted on your hands. Those few pass and all you have is an unsold script or maybe a good expensive sample. There are tons of producers who can finance scripts under 5 million and those films get made in much higher numbers. You won't make big money, but only an elite small group of writers do that in film. But you can make consistent money like I have. Enough to make a good living.

And the writing sample that got me noticed and started was a 2 million dollar budget script. It's still the sample people want to read even though it's not available.

This is the reality of what's going on right now. Cable TV, Netflick types, VOD... That's the future of where content is going to go. That's what's going to chew up content. And they want smaller budgets. That's reality.

Comment

Thanks for the insights and for taking the time to write them. That's by far the most informative and helpful post I've read on this site in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post

So it's great to have a positive validation of your work...

but I'll bet you'd get more traction from a high concept studio film that got a 6.
                            ^^THIS^^

*rubs hands together*

....I have just the script...
                            "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                              ^^THIS^^

*rubs hands together*

....I have just the script...
                              And I have bridge I'd love to sell you..

Comment

What can I say? I write high-concept, big-budget commercial comedies.

If no one's interested in them, I guess this will just have to remain a fun hobby.

Comment

Working...
                                X