Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #1
Steven Jenkins
User

Default Fatal Flaw?

I just spotted a huge flaw in my story - but think it isn't critical. Just after some advice

My plot is about getting a mem-stick with vitally important data on it to a particular person & place.

My flaw is that this data could feasibly be uploaded to the person via the internet, or the mem-stick posted in the mail, which kinda undermines my hero's hazardous trek across the country.

I'm covering this flaw by exposing that the mem-stick is hardware protected, so if it's inserted into a standard USB port the data gets fried - and if it's posted in the mail it could get intercepted by the authrities who are hunting for the mem-stick.

This arse-covering seems a bit feeble I know, but I'm still feeling kinda safe here because my flaw is the self-same one I've just spotted in STAR-WARS, and nobody else ever seems to have done so.

What do you think? Am I safe on this one, or not?

Many thanks

Steve Jenkins
rebel base
3rd planet on left past death-star
galaxy far-far-way

hmm!
Maybe I just answered my own question.

Last edited by Steven Jenkins : 03-26-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Steven Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
Richmond Weems

Default Re: Fatal Flaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
I'm covering this flaw by exposing that the mem-stick is hardware protected, so if it's inserted into a standard USB port the data gets fried - and if it's posted in the mail it could get intercepted by the authrities who are hunting for the mem-stick.
I think you did just answer your own question. Those sound okay to me. And I'm not sure how much comedy you have in your script, but you could have your main character try to mail the mem-stick, but when he goes to the UPS store to send it out, maybe he's not confident in their ability to get the package out without damaging it. (I'm thinking of the opening of Ace Ventura, only I don't think you need to be as broad as that.)

As far as fatal flaws, there is no greater flaw than in The Fellowship of the Ring when they're discussing what to do with the One Ring: Just have the eagle drop it into the volcano. Yeah, yeah, before all the Ring fans get up in arms about how the eagles wouldn't be involved in the affairs of man, blahblahblah...but you woulda thought SOMEONE would've mentioned it.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 06:53 AM   #3
Steven Jenkins
User

Thanks for the reassurance HH

Nice one spotting that about the eagles And I always wondered why the Valar let Melkor out of his prison in the first place (in "The Silmirillian").

I think I've covered my flaw up further, by having a twist that the hero's quest is just a dummy to let the bad guys recover the plans, leaving somebody else free to deliver a copy of them unlooked for.

hmm - maybe there''s some more milage in that one too - unless this idea itself is a big plot-flaw...? I mean, imagine if Luke's quest was one of many, with 20-30 other messangers showing up at the rebel-base long before he does.

Last edited by Steven Jenkins : 03-26-2010 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Ravenlocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldhecuba View Post
As far as fatal flaws, there is no greater flaw than in The Fellowship of the Ring when they're discussing what to do with the One Ring: Just have the eagle drop it into the volcano. Yeah, yeah, before all the Ring fans get up in arms about how the eagles wouldn't be involved in the affairs of man, blahblahblah...but you woulda thought SOMEONE would've mentioned it.

HH
Wow. I can't believe in all the times I read the books I never, ever thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Jenkins View Post
hmm - maybe there''s some more milage in that one too - unless this idea itself is a big plot-flaw...? I mean, imagine if Luke's quest was one of many, with 20-30 other messangers showing up at the rebel-base long before he does.
That would be kinda cool, and kinda funny, and also kinda anticlimactic. If you were to go that route, you might need to have your protag learn about all the other messengers in late Act II, and then go on to save the day himself in Act III. Somehow.

Last edited by Ravenlocks : 03-26-2010 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Should proofread better
Ravenlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #5
tgg001
New User

Maybe he does mail it and then it keeps getting returned mysteriously... Or maybe there is a USPS strike after he mails it. Then he's gotta go pry it out of one of those big blue metal mail boxes on the street? That could be fun.
tgg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #6
Steven Jenkins
User

Thanks for all the help and great ideas everyone

Makes me feel this idea isn't totally nonsense

Many thanks
Old 03-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Bob_Robertson
User

Quote:
I As far as fatal flaws, there is no greater flaw than in The Fellowship of the Ring when they're discussing what to do with the One Ring: Just have the eagle drop it into the volcano. Yeah, yeah, before all the Ring fans get up in arms about how the eagles wouldn't be involved in the affairs of man, blahblahblah...but you woulda thought SOMEONE would've mentioned it.

HH

bwahahahaaa

The Whitest Kids U Kbnow did a friggin HILLARIOUS skit on that....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwxA9O-q2o8
Bob_Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
Centos

Quote:
I've seen the YouTube video, I thought it was funny, but this wasn't actually a plot hole. The only reason the eagles could just fly into Mordor at the end is because all hell had just broken loose. Remember that the whole reason the fellowship went to the Gates of Mordor for the futile battle was to draw the "eye of Sauron" off the hobbits as they progressed toward... can't remember... the mountain (Mount Doom?). Had the eagles attempted to just fly into Mordor at the beginning, Sauron would have seen them and he had plenty of weapons to deal with them.

At least that's the way I see it.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
Richmond Weems

Let's see if we can get twenty pages out of this...

They could've used a bunch of eagles, or they could've just had the same Fellowship draw Sauron's attention off the eagles, or they could've had someone ask, "Why the hell didn't we just use the eagles?" And Gandalf could've said that the eagles don't give a sh!t, or that they've tried to use them in the past, or they could've attempted an eagle and we would've had a kick-ass scene of the Nazgul and eagle dogfight...

All kinds of things could've been used to explain why the eagles weren't used, but the fact is that Tolkien probably didn't think of it until it was already published, and then he had that V8 moment. Little did he realize that the hippies and beatniks that made Lord of the Rings such a huge publishing sensation didn't care either. Or, if they did, they just smoked the doobie, dropped some acid, and discussed it for three days.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Steven Jenkins
User

Nobody ever discussed using the eagles cos all they care about are rabbits and flying.

And nobody would even dare consider risking having an eagle as a new dark lord cos then everybody would be made to catch rabbits, early worms, loose feathers and building 500 foot earies in stupidly inaccessible places.

Like the old addage: never send a bird to do a man's (or woman's) job.

Centos: sounds like a decent plot technique, but I need my man to do this willingly - even if he needs to get well p*ssed up first.